The Defensive Shotgun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Nov 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My HD shotgun is the venerable Remington 870 Express 12 gauge. Had it fully modded as tactical for years, but now am refinishing it back to matte black (no more camo) and replacing the old Choate folding PG stock with a standard style laminated stock & forearm. The 8 round mag extension and side saddle shell carrier will remain. The original barrel was long ago shortened to 20 inches, to fit the mag tube.
    I carried an 870 on security duty on my Navy ship, and have the old 16ga 870 from my early hunting days, as well as my late Dad's shotguns (including his 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster). The 870 and I are old friends from way back.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Right now in shot guns I have mostly antiques I can't even use modern charges with ,all except a single shot H&R short barrel .
    If I ever get the money together, what I want is a circuit judge in 410 /.45 perfect for home defense.
    Not what you'd call a survival weapon for hunting, or returning fire on snipers, but for the range of 410 and 45 cal. even those wearing body armor @ close range would feel it.

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

ex GI - Stevens 520 riot gun with a cuts compensator

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I don't have shotguns covered yet in my defensive strategy. A shotgun likely also means a whole new slew of reloading equipment in my prepping supplies as well as just the gun (sigh).

I've been thinking a while about the Mossberg SA-20 tactical model. It's small, light, and for home defense a 20 gauge should be adequate. It's also something my wife or any other small framed person can handle more easily, plus I can get two for about the same price as a single 930 12 gauge tactical gun. My last thought is that when we had the last ammunition panic, all the 12 gauge was gone from the shelves, but I could find 20 gauge almost everywhere.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Pretty much the opposite in this area, 20 is usually much harder to find, and more expensive than 12. What came up short in the last time around (and still,. tho' to a lesser extent) was components. Shot is still very much more expensive than it was (and several reasons for that) but the rest of the gotta haves are becoming readily available. You can, if careful, download 12 ga for easier handling by the slight of stature folks.

Be wary of anything using a descriptor of "tactical". It usually adds a few frns to the price, and gives you nothing in return other than something either not needed, or easily added later at lesser expense.

Home defensive use of a shottie is one of those widely discussed items you can find almost anywhere on the web. My opinion is pretty simple, shotguns are for outdoors use. YMMV.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You think 20Ga is hard to find, try looking for 16Ga.... Almost Non-existant...

VisuTrac and AD1 like this.
  7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Rem 870 Express "Tactical" with the 7 round mag and black stock...nothing fancy.
    Also have an old 28" Savage pump in my "decoy" gun rack on the wall for hunting.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

3M

I have 930 SPX and the 590SPX (both 12ga) and both are great weapons.

The 930 sometimes has issues with low base rounds. But as long as you are shooting hibase you are fine.

The ghost ring sites are great

I paid $400 for the 590 (on a Virginia firearms website from a Tech student) and $450 for the 930(gun shop used)

image.
    image.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    3M-TA3 and Yard Dart like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My ideal defensive shot gun is my Winchester 1300 with 13 inch barrel.
    I tried a pistol grip but it just work better with the full stock.
    Legal 18+ plus barrels are just too long.

10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

KIMG0096. KIMG0098. KIMG0097. Here is mine

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. chimo

Sooo you get your ammo from the evidence room at the local PD? :lol:

Ganado, Yard Dart, AD1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I hear they've got some great stuff in that room but the wife's son won't give me a key..

Ganado, Yard Dart and AD1 like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

You take it from where you can find it..... now that is thinking outside the box... lets all rush our local PD's and stock up. :D

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  14. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

BTW! The 590SPX does come with that Bayonet. The wife asked why I needed one with a bayonet........ I answered "Because it has a bayonet". NUFF Said [touchdown][own2][flag]

Then she just walked out of the office mumbling [rockon]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Tully Mars, 3M-TA3, kellory and 2 others like this.
  15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

well that gun was taken from me it took me two years to get it back and I keep the evidence bag as a reminder.

Yard Dart, 3M-TA3 and AD1 like this.
  17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I think I really need to pick up a 590SPX!!!! [coo]

Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and AD1 like this.
  18. chimo

Sorry to hear about that...but it's a great example of why one needs to not only have more than one firearm...but not to keep them all in the "same basket" as it were.

Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  19. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT GHOST MONKEY

After watching the review on You Tube, I bought a Mossberg 930 SPX. Even though I'm way heavy in shot guns (owning Remingtons, Mossbergs and Winchesters in all configurations). After wringing it out on the range, I think this may be my new "go to" shotgun. Check it out.

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Besides the badass bayonet, its a millspec barrel which is about 2x as thick as a standard barrel.

So if you run out of ammo, and break the blade off in someone(doubtful) you can always beat the crap out of them biglaff

I really like the way the front site is protected in its cradle to save the fiberoptic from damage.

The barrel is also "ported" which helps keep the muzzle down for follow up shots.
    590a1 spx ported barrel.

Some will argue that any porting can ruin night vision so YMMV

Tully Mars likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Bishop
  7. AndyinEverson
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid