The Defensive Shotgun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Nov 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I have actually shot a sporting clays match with it during a "tactical shotgun only match" and had the bayonet attached.

I was spotted "3 birds" just cuz of the Kewl factor

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Dang it, you're selling me right back to where I started. For me personally, 12 gauge pump would be my choice and that one specifically. I was thinking 20 gauge semi auto with my wife and others in mind during shtf. While we are "gun friendly" people I'm the only one who is "gun active". My worry regarding them is the recoil and forgetting to pump the next round when/if they actually have to use it. I try to standardize battery of arms as much as possible to avoid confusion when shtf. Now I'm confused, so have to think about it some more...

3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Mine is an 870, its black ,holds 7 rounds of buckshot, is of legal length and I have a stock elastic shell holder that holds 7 more. It sits by by my bed next to the pistols. That is all.

Gator 45/70, chimo and AD1 like this.
  4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

even with the 12, you can run low base ammo which will be less recoil and the mass of the 12 ga will help with that. It will however be heavier than a 20ga would but they EDIT "DO NOT" make one of these in a 20.

I dont think you can get low base buck or slugs though........

the biggest factor ....... the BAYONET!!!!! MUST HAVE BAYONET!!!!!

Do you know of anyone that has one you and the group can shoot?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The new "low recoil" 12 gauge buckshot is reported to kick less than 20 ga, and due to having less energy for dispersion, you can actually get more range out of them, if that is a thing for you. No need to mess up your system, when you can switch ammo.

AD1 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

How do y'all carry spare ammo for your shotgun? I'm a big fan of bandoliers, personally.

7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Sounds similar to mine...we're both gonna get a tickey from the tacticool police for not having a light mounted on it.

AD1 likes this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Everyone I'm prepping for, including my wife, is still in ostrich mode thinking that if they ignore it, it will go away. I do have people recognizing that there is a reasonable probability of natural disaster, but they don't want to confront having to defend themselves from those who haven't prepared or are simply out looting.

Currently, for example, my wife will only shoot pistols and won't even touch an AR. For the most part just a few of us will have to hold down the fort the first time, because the rest won't wake up and take an interest until then. This is also why I try to standardize battery of arms since they won't have the muscle memory they otherwise would IF they were willing to practice and learn.

Ideally I only want to run one shotgun gauge to simplify ammo/reloading. Since i already reload (and if I get a shotgun I sure as heck will get the equipment) if I go 20 gauge I can always cook up my own defensive load, same with 12 gauge I can make my own lighter but adequate loads (like the tactical slugs). If the 12 gauge rifles were as light and easy to handle, problem would be solved.

The next factor in my shtf defensive thoughts where a shotgun use would happen is that the folks in the rear who would be using them are basically the people others would be defending. These are the smaller/older/younger/weaker folks which is why I started thinking 20 gauge in the first place.

For things that go bump in the night it's me, so any gauge will do.

Ganado likes this.
  9. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

And another "ticky" for not having the very "Tactical Kewl Bayonet" [LMAO][lolol]

Ganado, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Did you check out my 590 shown in post #2 of this thread. That door breacher is part of the barrel... not after market....it would make a nasty slashing/stabbing close quarters weapon after all the boolets were gone. ;)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Ganado and AD1 like this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

It is hard to go wrong with an 870, 500/590 or a Ithaca 37. I am not a great fan of the Mossberg guns but that is just personal preference not a quality/functionality issue. The 870 is the "AR15" of shotguns, they are like Barbie or Lego for grown ups as they can be dressed so many ways... ;) Before the laws changes here I had a personal 870 and shot the bejesus out of it without issue. Since then I have experience with many more issue guns that have literally fired 10s of thousand rounds (I am referring to those in the training pool) and keep on working with the bare maintenance (these guns in some cases date to the early 70s). I still regularly utilise a factory 14 inch 870 when working out of a vehicle.

I also had a couple of Ithaca 37s, they are plain but very very functional and robust. One of mine came out of a store of captured US/ARVN weapons held in Vietnam from the early 70s till the mid 90s (I also had a Stevens 77 from the same stock). It was chock full of crud and gunk. I gave it a thorough clean and oil (think stripped to individual parts and washed in a parts cleaner, dried, oiled and reassembled) and it just kept on working. The 37s are also lighter than your average pump gun.

AD1 and Yard Dart like this.
  12. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I do gotta get me one of those!

AD1 likes this.
  13. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I got tired of chasing down the Mossberg Rep to find out when they would be delivered and started searching for the model and buy and found a kid at Virginia Tech who was selling his.

Made a deal transfered my FFL's info to his FFL and got it for $450 +$25 transfer.

Ganado likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have a few shot guns but I'm not a fan particularly.
    The one gun I might consider as a home defense tool ,had I the money, is a Rossi circuit judge.
    Providing 5 rounds and double action ,along with having a different round in each chamber if you feel inclined. .45 ACP using moon clips, .45 long colt, and a combination of other 410 shot gun charges every bit as lethal in a home defense application.
    on top of all that it is just a fun weapon to handle over all.

15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

What? No Saiga 12 with a 30 rd drum?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

Stevens 320 tactical pistol grip stock bead sight 00 and slug alternating

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge