The Difference Between Single Action and Double Action Revolvers Explained.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by chelloveck, Oct 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Love or hate Lindybeige, he does have a way of explaining military history, and militaria.
    NB...he will probably irritate the crap out of some who may watch this Youtube clip; Lindybeige refers to cartridges as bullets...but that aside, it's quite a clear explanation.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I could see another problem with the triple action pistol in that you could only use it at 4 PM.

chelloveck, Dunerunner and techsar like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

That was one of the most annoying f'ing things I have seen in ages...fanning.... perhaps in a Spaghetti Western....LOL And I think he took too much speed before he tried to record it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. chelloveck

Perhaps in some things he may not be as gifted an amateur than in others...his Youtube clip on 'The Platoon' contains a very elementary error, and some of his explanations don't pass muster when checked against official doctrine and contemporary military literature. A platoon commander's 2ic a 'Sergeant Major'??? Perish the thought! That persnickety criticism aside...his explantions are substantially reasonable.

As to the 'fanning' technique of rapidly re-cocking a single action revolver....the dime store pulp fiction western has done much to mythologise the art of the pistolero which has consequently inspired Hollywood, and popular culture to romanticise that, and other inauthentic nonsense.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

There is nothing reasonable about anything he said,the man knows very little about guns. But stupid people will believe every thing he said.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. chelloveck

Well, if there was nothing reasonable about nothing that he said, then the things that he did say, must have been reasonable...I think that is how English grammar works; well, usually...that double negative thingy making a positive...well, it got Donald the magnificent out of a little hot water some while back....anyways, lets not get hung up on didactic expositions of the minutiae of English grammar....

I appreciate your insightful observation of Mr Beige's knowledge of single action and double action guns....but it is just your opinion, if that counts for very much. And you are right: stupid people will believe just about anything they are told....which accounts for unwavering belief by people wearing patriotic hats at their dear leader's rallies and speaking engagements....and people having unwavering faith in their sacred texts or political orthodoxy.

If you care to indicate which particular explanations were wrong in Mr Beige's video (no credit points for pointing out incorrect usage of the word bullet (instead of cartridge), or his explanation of 'fanning' single action revolvers), then perhaps, we may have a more interesting discussion, and perhaps learn something? I guess I should have added YMMV at the end of my OP introduction.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

:lol: Seriously? From YOU?

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. chelloveck

Ah....your irony meter must need recalibration, and your capacity to detect when i am having a joke at my own expense needs a little more fine tuning. ;)

Oddcaliber, Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

foosed biglaff

Why did he not clear his own guns? One should never rely on a 3rd party.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

For those that know firearms there certainly were some "errors", but for general run of the mill not so smart public it was a pretty decent explanation. Think of it as first grade as compared to college level courses that many here know. "Look Dick", said Jane, "see Spot run." is not a Pulitzer winning story line, but it is a start for a 6 year old.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

All of the worlds fastest shooters ''Fan'' the piece and bust balloons, Now how can that not be fun?

chelloveck likes this.
  12. chelloveck

They didn't achieve that level of skill without a serious amount of training and practice....much more than a plummy speaking British toff whose familiarity with revolvers and auto pistols is any more impressive as some monkeys' familiarity here with elementary grammar is. ;) It would be a mistake to assume that the majority of cowboys back in the day were as competent with their sidearms as some trick shooters in travelling carnivals and wild west shows. Not that you are making that suggestion.

For most, their pistols and long arms were workingmen's tools, and for most, they only needed sufficient skill to put food in the pot, despatch varmints (two or four legged) and put injured stock out of their misery. Ammunition probably wasn't often frittered away to master fancy trick shooting.

apache235 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

So, Your making fun of my grammar knowing in south Louisiana we bastardize it on purpose in order that many can't follow what we say or really mean?
    Bless your heart, Come here and I'll bring you out to do a bit of fanning,hahaha

Oddcaliber and chelloveck like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

See how its done at the 2:50 mark or so!

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, I got six months in jail, my back turned to the wall
    Fannin' that thing was the cause of it all
    So fan it, fan it, gotta fan it and cool it
    Honey till the cows come home

Willie Nelson sed it.

Brokor, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. I was kinda hoping he'd show a Webley-Fosberry automatic revolver.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. chelloveck

Willie was also prone to indulge himself in a certain illicit weed...fannin' his fanny with that alight in the wrong place at the wrong time'll get one six months of fan dance time....Willy may have been using a little artistic licence with his lyrics. ;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Well, it wasn't his sixgun he was fannin' (or even talkin' about. Dunno how that one got past the censors.)

chelloveck likes this.
  19. chelloveck

No, not criticising your grammar, just giving someone else a bit of a prod. :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You got to socialize with Prince Harry?

1. Oddcaliber
  2. GOG
  3. OldDude49
  4. Seacowboys
  5. GOG
  6. Motomom34
  7. chelloveck
  8. Hispeedal2