The FBI is Going 9mm: Here Comes the Science

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Nov 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

Ammo tech has dramatically advanced, to the point where 850 FPS bullets will pass clothing barriers and expand to twice caliber dimensions. The military is stuck with FMJ and larger bullets are essential. I still prefer 10MM and 45 ACP but the 9 is a good choice today, especially for a BUG. I just picked up some of this for my Peacekeeper. It's a good load in other calibers, too

tulianr, Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

3. Maxflax

My first service size autos were BHPs. Still have 5 of them including one in 40 (and a 9MM Detective conversion!) and would carry them again in a heartbeat with Speer Gold Dots or Cor Bon Sierra bullet loads

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

My carry HP is the first one I bought many years ago. Nothing to fancy, stock grips and I took out the mag safety when I first did the trigger/throated the barrel.Installed an extended safety from Cly and Slide. Has a set of millet series 100? adj sights. Been so long I honestly can't remember the sight model. Belgium made. I can't begin to say how many 10's of thousands of rounds its shot over that time. Never had a problem. It's one of my best friends..

BTPost likes this.
  5. Maxflax

I always modded mine with Wolff springs and throated/polished. Mec Gar mags and my 40 has a Crimson Trace lasergrip with an on/off switch (normally off)

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

10mm.

7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

So, you are telling me that apples for apples, with the SAME projectile in .35 and .45, that you get the exact dimensions with both after expansion? Naw. I've seen those tests on Youtube. Comparing 9mm RIP ammo to .45 Hardball don't count!

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

No, shoot what works best for you. Posted as a joke for what was said on the bottom of the attachment. Will still take 15+1 357 mag equivalent shots over anything else, the 10mm.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

From the FBI is going 9mm

From - Ultimate Sniper: Updated & Expanded Edition by Major John Plaster

Medulla oblongata from the front or rear and the neural motor strips from the side. Odd the FBI didn't know or mention there are two.

10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I prefer .45 ACP. I think Jim Higgenbotham hit the nail on the head:
    Jim Higgenbotham's Case for the 45 ACP

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The fed RFP (DOD?) for replacement of the M9 specifies 45ACP. That's fine, in my mind.

Tully Mars likes this.
  12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I own a few pistols so it's difficult for me to put one down over another. Keeping it to pistols, either a 45 ACP or 9mm work quite well as long as the shooter does their job, the bullet will do its job. Personally, I don't feel unarmed with either.

As one size doesn't fit all people; pistols have a lot in common with shoes. The quickest test is don't aim; point it then move your head to see where it would hit. As are hands are different; a good gun shop can change the grips to improve the fit for you. He sells more and your hand fits better; it's a win for both.

Although I don't have one (she does), for fast paced, close range, encounters; a 38 +P etc. hammerless wheel gun has its advantages also.

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I pack wheelguns. I have never felt unarmed with a .22LR, and I shoot good enough to get a teaching job, and I still pack a .357 or .45Lc whenever I can.
    In my neck of the wood, we get a lot of pest species. Which has given me a lot to chew over in terms of imperfect sots, because things you HAVE to shoot rarely seem to square off, present a head shot, or quit moving. I've seen the difference between a 9 round cylinder in a target and a single .45LC in the same region. No contest to me which one is the winner.

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Hiking or at the camp site; wheel guns are great as they deal with pests, coyotes and depending on caliber even a bear.
    For concealed; flatter pistols work better for me as they print less as they are thinner.

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Must be an awful small Bear......

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

A 44 or 41 magnum work quite well on black bear.
    Handgun Hunting Heaven - Handgunning Bear Hunts in Maine

As does the 45LC with reloads
    It used to be the 45LC was underloaded due to the old firearms with reloads it is quite competitive against the magnums. As I'm into it as I used to be; I don't know if there is commercial ammo loaded for modern 45LC.

Alaska is S&W's biggest market for their 500.

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Anyone who hunts Bear with a Hand Cannon, had better have a Partner with a Rifle, standing just behind him, or he is likely to get MUNCHED.... He had also better be close to a World Class HandGunner.... or he is also likely to get MUNCHED.... Nobody, in Bush Alaska thinks ANY HandCannon, is Big Enough to be considered Bear Protection. That is a FlatLander Gun Writer's Fantasy.... Just ask ANY Certified Hunting Guide, in the State....

AxesAreBetter and 3M-TA3 like this.
  18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

The black bears that are common in some of the lower 48 are smaller and less aggressive than the brown/grizzly bears that can normally only be found in the US up in your neck of the woods and the northwest. But even with the black bears, I wouldn't want to be caught out with just a handgun. (For those not familiar with bears...both black and brown bears can be lots of colors).

I remember one drought year in NE NM when the bears were coming down into town to feed in the dumpsters...we got a call about one in a dumpster out near the country club . When we got there, all we saw was his big butt hanging out of the dumpster, so I put a 12ga rubber slug right into that butt...but that ole bear, he just turned his head, and looked at me like "is that all you got, white boy?" and went back to munching. ;)

Zimmy and BTPost like this.
  19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

No one said any about not having a backup; where did that come from??

The lodge provides a licensed guide carrying a rifle. Any handgun is less than marginal against a charging grizzly as are most rifles. As the hunter only has "buck fever" to deal with, shooting one who isn't charging is a different subject.

With black bear the zone is ~5x~5. I've killed black bear with a 44 mag.

The 500 and the .308 win deliver ~2800 ft-lbs of energy. Personally, I'd prefer a 300 win and a bear who wasn't charging.

20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

As a .45LC guy, I get really sick of how badly they are underloaded for competition. Average velocity is rated around 750-850 on modern loads. The BP originals were loaded at closer to 1000-1200 from the same full sized barrel. With a 250gr bullet.

Even with cowboy loads, I have found that they give roughly the same performance as a heavy .357 mag with expanding bullets.

1. Cruisin Sloth
  2. DKR
  3. Bishop
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. HK_User
  7. Gator 45/70
  8. DKR
  9. Tevin
  10. HK_User
  11. AxesAreBetter
  12. DarkLight