The first garden at our BOL

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by GOG, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

I believe wally world has natural light bulbs you could use for your seedlings. I would suggest chickens for meat, eggs and the fertilizer they produce. Not to mention pest control of ticks, grasshoppers and others during the warner months.

GOG likes this.
  2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not sure how it will work for potatoes in the first year, you might want to plant some nitrogen fixing plants with the potatoes since the wood will be a nitrogen sink. Note as the wood decays away, the absorbed nitrogen will slowly be released into the soil. When I made a small 4x8 bed into a hugelkultur bed (dug down, added wood and back filled. The first year I had planted many cowpeas and clover. The next year was tomatoes and they did wonderful.

Short list of nitrogen fixers (there are many more)
    Dandelion
    Nettles, stinging
    Bracken, eastern
    Coltsfoot
    Meadow sweet
    Comfrey
    Kelp
    Dulse
    Horsetails
    Lamb’s quarters
    Dock, broad leaved
    Mullein, common
    Watercress
    Parsley
    Plantains
    Salad burnet
    Bladder wrack
    Chamomile, German
    Chickweed

Also look at this link
    Temperate Climate Permaculture: Plants: Nitrogen Fixers for Temperate Climate Permaculture Forest Gardens

Motomom34, Yard Dart and GOG like this.
  3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thank you for the info. I'm new to the concept and would have gotten it wrong.

4. Snake_Doctor

I'm not familiar with this hugel whatsis...

5. kckndrgn

hugelkulture

there are a few threads there on SM about it, along with google. In a nutshell. Put a pile of wood on the ground, cover with soil, plant.

6. Snake_Doctor

Why wood? Sounds a lot like planting in straw or newspaper.

7. kckndrgn

as the wood decays it becomes a sponge and retains water. Additionally the wood will initially absorb nitrogen to break down, then slowly release it.
    To keep from derailing this thread review the one I linked to above and comment there.

GOG likes this.
  8. Snake_Doctor

Hmmm thanks

9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I transplanted the seedlings from the starter trays into 4" pots a couple of days ago and I'll be starting more seeds in the next day or two.

It was a beautiful day, so I started my Hugelkultur bed. There were quite a few rotted logs on the site, so those became the base. There also was a lot of oak branches and twigs left over from firewood cutting, so they went on next. Then I dumped a bunch of semi composted leaves on top. That's as far as I got today.

Tomorrow I have to finish getting the leaf compost on and will then add some brush. There's also some left over straw that will go on after that. Then after the first, I'm going to have some planter mix delivered for the top layer.

I'll take a few pics and get them up later.

Pics show the beginnings of the bed. The bed will be about three or four more feet longer on the left and will curve slightly about another fifteen feet on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
    Dunerunner, Yard Dart and tulianr like this.
  10. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

It's been raining for quite some time, so there was a break this morning and I finally got the T-posts in the ground. I also got the deer mesh up although I still have to stretch it tighter and wire it up. Right now it's pouring rain again, but at least I got something productive done. I've also been hardening the plants off.

Dunerunner likes this.
  11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

That is looking good!! And Welcome to the Monkey!! [winkthumb]

12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thank you.

13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Gog, I had to use electric heat the first year at our BOL as well. I share your pain as ours was 560.00 in one month. Never again. Went straight wood heat. Check out your state and federal permits for cutting wood on public lands. You need to save the wood on your property. Here is why. If and when shtf you will not want to travel for wood. It may also not be possible due to lack of fuel. SAVE YOUR LOCAL WOOD for when you need it most. I am cutting on Federal forest lands in Michigan . Each permit cost 20.00 and is good for 5 CORDS (15 ricks) The wood must be standing dead or down to be legal. I have been cutting this wood now for 5 years and it is an awesome deal. Two permits and gas and oil for one year? under 100 dollars. I am always looking for loggers cutting oak as well so I can stock pile green wood to season. I have noticed that 3 and 4 year seasoned Oak gives me the most heat per log. Greener burns longer but does not produce as much heat unless you open the damper which burns it faster. Standing dead and dry burns the hottest and fastest and allows me to shut the dampers down to almost closed and it really cooks nice and hot. A mix of dead and 4 year seasoned really is a joy to heat with. This year will see us really stocking up as I see Gas prices going through the roof. I am stock piling gas in an old well pit (keeps it cool and a constant temp) I use Marine Gas because it has no alcohol in it. Stabilize with marine Stabil. so far 4 years and counting on using old gas. Kept cool at a stabil temp. Oak is by far in my area the best fire wood. I hope some of this helps your long term plan for having enough good wood on hand when you need it. To me the biggest fear is running out of chain oil, 2 stoke oil and chainsaw parts. I will not go to axe and hand saw and hand cart until I absolutely have to. Then Ill want that wood on property see my point? Good luck. KF.

tulianr, Dunerunner, GOG and 2 others like this.
  14. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thank for the good advice KF, I'll take it to heart.

15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

One other piece of advice. Stay away from hydrolic log splitters. . I know guys they work. On Knarly crap they really work good. I just dont want to get used to relying on one. I use several good Mauls and a wedge. I I cut the wood to length and split the wood in the woods so When I get home I just have to stack it. I find this saves all that extra lifting and moving large chunks. Splitting by hand is much easier on my back and also uses less gas. I drop a tree, cut it in 18 inch lengths and stand the bigger ones up right where they are. Start at one end and split the row then go back and stand up any that need it again. I normally don't cut big stuff over 16 inches in diameter. Most standing dead here in Michigans Federal lands are 3 to 9 inches. One in a while there are bigger trees. My father in law has a 22 ton gas powered splitter and that thing works me twice as hard as using a maul. Just sayin :)

Yard Dart and GOG like this.
  16. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

So its nearly April now... almost time for most of us to plant! How are things going at your place? My living room is full of shelves, lights and overflowing plants! Supposed to be warm here all week finally. What growing zone are you in?

17. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

We're in 8b in Southern Oregon.

I've been hardening off the plants. We have a bunch more rain coming this week, but the first sunny day I'm going to set the plants out in the garden in their 4" pots. I'll cluster them under translucent plastic sheeting and let them finish hardening off. The natural light even in overcast will do them good. As soon as we have a day or two of consistent sun, they'll go into the ground.

Yard Dart and Dunerunner like this.
  18. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Zone 5 here and the lettuces, kale and broccoli have been out for a week.

GOG likes this.
  19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I don't know what zone but we are in (west Michigan) starting some plants in the living room in front of the slider. Trying some heirlooms.

GOG likes this.
  20. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

I know this tread is not about firewood but 1 thing I've noticed about splitting wood is if I stand the pieces up side down they seem to split easier. What I mean by up side down is reverse of how it was when the tree was standing.

GOG and KAS like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024 at 4:03, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7