The first garden at our BOL

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by GOG, Feb 27, 2014.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I've been pretty busy with other projects, but I'm back on track with the garden. I tilled compost and Happy Frog soil conditioner and added a bit of steer manure into the soil last week.

The plants are pretty much hardened off, but I haven't set them out in the garden yet. Some plants can't go out yet even though they're large enough.

Tomorrow I'll be building a couple of trellis's for sugar snap peas and the cucumbers. I'll also plant onion sets,, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, the peas, garden beans, radishes and beets.

It's too early to set out the eggplant, squash, tomato's and peppers yet, so I'm going to take this opportunity to start some jalapeno's, tomatillo's and multi-color carrots to fill in some gaps.

I also started a bunch of Sun Gold tomato's, Broccoli Raab, Belgian endive, Anaheim peppers and they're almost ready to transplant to 4" pots. They need to come out of the seed trays, but they're not ready for the garden yet.

I also have to figure out where I'll put the herb garden. I want to have a mix of cooking and medicinal herbs. So far I've only got basil, oregano and rosemary. We'll need a bunch more.

A friend has offered us almost forty dozen canning jars of various sizes for only $2.50 a dozen. I'll pick those up on Wednesday. Then we only have to buy lids and inserts. I want to buy the reusable inserts.

We bought a Presto pressure canner the day before yesterday. I would have loved to buy an All American canner, but it's out of the budget and the Presto was on sale for $79.95. We'll just pick up a couple of spare gaskets, a pressure gauge and pressure relief valve for just in case. We already have a water bath canner.

This has been an expensive project, but the costs will amortize over the years and it sure feels good.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Bokashi your oak leaves and even wood chips for 3 weeks...bury them and they'll turn to dirt MUCH faster than traditional composting.

bokashicomposting.com

Missing kale and potatoes.
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
    GOG and Yard Dart like this.
  3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

The garden is dead.

I had triple bypass surgery on April 20th and was hospitalized for almost two weeks. Friends planted all my starts and it was a wonderful gesture, but they couldn't stay long and had to get back out of state. There was a frost and with me unable to do anything, the plants gave up the ghost.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It's still early. I am putting tomatoes starters in container on the porch this year.(to accommodate my wife's health). I should get a few of them done tomorrow.

GOG likes this.
  5. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I'm going to pick up some starts this week and get them in the ground. I can find organic starts pretty easily. I just hate to see all that hard work go bye bye. The garden will also be much smaller than I originally planned.

1. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024 at 4:03, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7