The floor is open...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, Dec 20, 2006.

?

I believe and am prepping for a :***

Poll closed Dec 30, 2006.
  1. a primarily economic collapse triggering civil unrest

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. outside or domestic terrorist incident

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. a major health related crisis..

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. a breakdown*( ver reaching) of constitutional authority by the .gov

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. major natural disaster( quake/flood"/"poleshift!"). ..

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  6. civil unrest for any of the above reasons...

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  7. loss of constitutional guarantees for any of the above...

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  8. foreign external military invasion/bombardment

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  9. one worldgovt controlled by the ptb...

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. I just like to dress up and shoot military rifles....

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

O.k Question posed to the board in general:
    Where are we headed, where are your "preparedness efforts (dollars)" going? What do you think constitutes the most pressing threat? Nobody bows out of this one; every input is thought provking. "Even ah'm loading up on anti -reptilian pepperspray to ward off the invading space lizards wearing multiicolored spandex".
    Granted one trigger may wad up the the whole shooting match in an unstoppable cascade..

Get out your cyrstalball: What do YOU think we're in store for??

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

For me is is hurricane and tsunami related disasters with attending failures of infrastructure. Katrina was bad but don't fool yourself, it was just a test case for FEMA control and will get worse.

3. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

I think that Americas standerd of living will continue to go down. As China raises up we will become less of an infunece on the world. Land ownership will decrease in the USA, and more people will be forced to rent small apartments in slums. I believe that even car ownership will decrease due to higher fuel cost. As it gets harder to make a living people will demand that the government do something and do something they will. They will strip the few freedoms that Americans have left from them. Most will give up what ever it takes to have a few sraps to put on their plate at night. We won WWII because we out manufactured the Germans, now we have very little manufacturing base because it has went to China and Mexico. For along time manufacturing has been the backbone of this counrty, now that backbone is all but gone (in more ways than one). [2c]

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

As you can probably tell from a preponderance of my posts lately, I really believe we are seeing the building of the infrastructure of a coming globalization " one world government".we have been primed to think(by Alex jones and other snakeoil salesman) this would always be a bad thing automaticaly leading to(Alexs' favorite words): "slavery of the population"...Though I find he takes liberties and assumes alot from these house and senate bills he talks about... I don't know, there's no real way to tell without a crystal ball, but I believe we are playing frog to the scorpions' "Just take me across the river "I won't sting you"...(History has shown: Absolute power corrupts absolutely ) Guess all I can do is try to limit any anxiety to healthy levels and pay attention as this (unstoppable?) train rolls down the tracks.

Keep your powder dry, help one another. put alittle extra away for the neighbors...

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm with Seacowboys on this one. Primarily weather related. Hurricanes, tornado's, ice storms, etc. A lot of the survival issues to me are every day life occurrences. Getting stuck in your vehicle miles from anywhere, no cell reception, what do you do? Losing power from a storm for an extended amount of time. Out hunting and a freak norther blows through, you are lost, cold, wet, etc. These things happen to people all of the time. Do I also keep in mind terrorist attack, or a financial collapse, yeah I still think about them but I think they are a lot less likely to happen then weather related emergencies.

6. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Aliens man, aliens. And I'm not talking Chico and the man. [alien] [tf]

Would I be paranoid if I said 'All of the above'?

7. jisenbletter

jisenbletter Monkey+++

my response

What really scares me is that our society is so reluctant to be nontechy about everything. My girlfriend calls me the other day...i didnt answer (I left my cell in my BOV) when i get home she says "what if there was an accident"? I replied you know there was a time when we didnt have cell phones right?! It really gets me to thinking. Hey, use youre microwave to cook that pot pie, but also know how to cook it when the lights gou out! Man, its all about not depending on one particular thing. Diversify your stocks ya know? Lead your lifestyle just like you would lead your money. Do not be dependent on one particular thing! Its easy man, just remember the rule of threes. I tend to look at survival issues from a broad standpoint, prolly a broader stand point than the average person. Im gonna be prepared for just about anything.
    Anyways...at the end of my rambling I would have to say that weather will def. lead to other more human Direct consequences will lead to our destruction. EXAMPLE-what if country becomes so dependent on a expensive resource (its not hard to see the relationship with todays events). They would at some point need to expand their empire. Anyone who believes that we live in a stable world needs to hear that "POP'. The "POP" is the sound you head makes when it is pulled from a dark deep space known as your A**.
    Also- I am new to this site and would like to know any info people can pass down any info concerning
    A.-making homes underground out of overseas shipping containers.
    B.-any info (obtainable in hard coppies) there may be about about the cross usages of vet. prescribed medicines and human doct. prescribed medicines. Purely for the basis that if all h*** breaks loose you never know what medicines you have on hand (Ironically I had a friend whos dog is on low dose paxil!! how funny. Might need some of that for the fam. when stuff goes down!
    Anyway this is only my second posting on this website, thanks for taking the time to read!

PS-sorry for the rambling [soap]

8. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

jisnobletter..... start new threads for each of those questions here in the general discussion section, and I'm sure you'll get lots of answers.

Welcome to the Monkey!

9. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Jisenbletter, don't be sorry, be useful. Haha. JK. Seriously, it is good to get on a rant or ramble. How else will your thoughts come out? With me, it's sometimes hard to express the intended thoughts unless I get on a rant and then they just get put out there with the rest. Haha.

I can see the dog thing. Around here there are cafes for pets, possibly psychologists for pets and the whole nine yards. If the SHTF, I can imagine that I would be able to find any legal medicine, illegal drugs or vet stuff that I would need. This place is a cornucopia of 'Happiness'. I could very well see that if something were to happen, and I could fight off the others, I would have access to almost anything except guns and ammo.

If you need anything else in a scavenging moment, it would be here. If people can afford to spend millions on a home, what do you think they spend to stuff it?

And I do see people becoming dependant on material things whether that be meds, tech, or whatever else. Such as how many kids in this modern day of technology can whip up a math problem in their heads without having a calculator? I need a piece of paper though I don't need a calculator. I'll admit it's good to have sometimes, though like you said, be able to do without it.

10. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ok I voted. I'm in the smaller camp of foreign or domestic terrorism. Weather in my opinion is just that. It's a given I live in the Midwest so tornadoes in spring and summer hard winters with ice, it comes every year. I may not have a tornado hit my area but like a politician lying its a sure bet. There are basics I've done for those things and while I review them and tweak them I don't get too worried about them.
    A terrorist attack is the one thing I can't plan on and, lets face it we will have another attack. They don't want to hurt us they don't want to change our views, or energy usage they just want us to die. Plain and simple, thats what worries me. Also if you want to take it this way can you think of a better time for the TPTB to step in and declare whatever laws they want in the name of national safety.? then follow them up with more strict laws and apologize for it saying it will only be for a short time. it's only a short hop from there. Just a couple of thoughts.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I find the most likely things to be weather, economic and terrorism, though all of the above are full7y viable IMO. I figure if I tried to plan and prep fully and specificaly for each thing I would just go nuts trying to think up every senario and how to get preped so I just go more general. I have a small 13 acre farm and just do the best I can little by little to get to a point of being self sufficient on it as much as possible. I figure if I can produce most or all of our food here, we have shelter and water isnt a big issue. So the main stuff for day to day survival is covered and from there its just adding comforts and conveniences other than security which is also pretty well covered. So I figure whatever it is, if the world around me colapses, then as long as Im not killed by it (like say a plauge that gets to us or nuke or similar) then we should do fine with the aftermath. We also live basic enouph in most ways that, like most in third world countries, a colapse of society would not be as heavily felt by us as it would a by most folks. We already often use a ringer washer for the laundry, cook on the wood stove part of the time, haul our water in barrels and use all water from them through a lot of the winter and so on, so to do it full time wouldnt be a huge adjustment for us.

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I think you've got the right idea Monkeyman...People were freaking out about the y2k breakdown creating a universal dearth of electrical power.
    Well, Sounds alot like 1864 if you ask me, people did just fine... :)

I'd appreciate it if one of the mods corrects my spelling error in the title of this thread, I can't seeem to do it from my end...( please lose the "n")
    Fat clumsy fingers
    Thanks, sorry....

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Blah, who cares? We should have done something about it 700 years ago, and now it's a little too late for the pot to be calling the kettle black, so I will just back off on this one. It's going to be one hell of a ride, though.

14. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I'll bite, I take it you're serious about 1300a.d. (referring to banking or big money?)....

15. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Winter is coming

I'm planning on keeping my head down during the civil disorder following an economic collapse. Some sort of natural or manmade disaster may well precipitate this, or it could just happen on its own. The end of cheap oil would be enough to start the ball rolling downhill. Our economy is a fragile house of cards and I don't think it would take much to bring the whole thing crashing down.

And our country has become possessed of such a "I'm a Victim!" mentality that we will be in further trouble of 1) a surplus of bums who will riot and try to steal my food and 2) a government who really will be doing what they believe is the 'right' thing, and we will trapped between a rock and a hard place.

I think we will divide first along family lines, then by ethnicity, and then by language. The major cities are all going to resemble Bosch paintings and I pray that I'm safe at home when it all goes to hell.

I have a small farm in the mountains, ##miles north of Atlanta and I think that I and my group can garden and hunt enough to keep ourselves going until a new equilibrium is reached. At least that's what I'm planning for.

16. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Thats what I tell the locals[booze]

17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, and the Templars should have eliminated the church within another hundred years...perhaps. But bringing up the Templars automatically initiates the tin foil hat alarm, so I digress.

But the money changers soon after and ever since have become vastly wealthy from stealing the designs of the very people they slaughtered over greed.

18. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Quigley wrote:
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> I just like to dress up and shoot military rifles.... </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Thats what I tell the locals[booze]Don't those high-heels hurt?[LMAO]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7