The Freedom Not To Be Offended Is Not Guaranteed by The Constitution

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by chelloveck, Jan 23, 2024.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The Freedom Not To Be Offended Is Not Guaranteed by The Constitution, though in many places, legislators are happy to legislate and regulate public spaces to minimise the pain and suffering of those they imagine might possibly become offended by what they may see or hear.... hence culture wars book bannings in schools and public libraries etc. etc to protect the sensitivities of delicate petals and snow flakes.

Admittedly, Mr Bean's alter ego is British, and is critiquing British laws, his critique is also applicable to other representative democracies; of course authoritarian regimes are happy to restrict the freedom of speech of those opposed to the authoritarian regimes' policies and programs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    hot diggity likes this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Spend more than five minutes with a bunch of retired Marines and you will likely experience a cascade of insults and offensive comments. We have refined it to an art. You won't get an apology if you're feelings are hurt. (We may make exceptions for ladies) The answer to those offended where I live has always been "grow a thicker skin or get out."

3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Marines and Sailors (and probably Soldiers....but certainly not Airmen! LOL) consider good natured insults to be a regular thing. We'll even insult one another's branch of service (what's in the Marines, that has an IQ of 60? A platoon! ;)). But God help the poor fool from outside our "family" of veterans, who tries to mess with any one of us! :rolleyes:

@chelloveck , it's really a shame, that the British, especially, have allowed their government to dictate their speech rights. This is the big difference, between them, and us "colonists", in the USA. When someone says, "I'm offended!!", my general response is "DILLIGAF?" :sneaky:

SB21 and Bandit99 like this.
  4. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Hey we airmen love teasing other branches and getting teased right back. If it gets too rough we just go back into our air conditioned buildings and sip our lattes! I mean come on not everyone can get a high enough asvab to go air force!

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Listen here Deck Ape, don't be leavin out us Airmen of the offensive side of this, this Rotor Head gives as good as any, and gotts the Skilz dat Kilz to back it up, ain't a Squid Bar, or Ape Deck, Or Snek Pit I ain't cleaned house on, and been bought drinks after!
    When your the under dog team nobody has ever heard of, you gotta man up real quick, or you get brutalized something fierce!
    Remember, even the Squids, Deck Apes, and Snake Eaters gotta call 911 some times, and who you think answers!!!!

SB21 and natshare like this.
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Well, there's your first problem, rotor head! Deck Apes are fresh air types.....I was a Hole Snipe, down in the steam plants. And since I was on an aircraft carrier, we brought our own air wing along with us. No need to bother you boys, until you had CE build your air strip and O-club! ;)

I actually considered the Chair Force.....for about 10 seconds. But with ASVAB scores in the 90 percentile, the only thing they had to challenge me was advanced electronics, which I wasn't interested in. Talked to the Navy recruiter, and he said "advanced electronics", saw me roll my eyes, and then added, "....or nuclear power might interest you". Tell me more! And unlike the USAF, where you're waiting 3 years to make E-4 (and STILL not an NCO), I was a "push button" E-4, out of tech school, a little over 4 months after joining the Navy. My first NCOIC on the ship (after 2 years of training) was a 4 year E-6. :eek::sneaky:

Ura-Ki and SB21 like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

My daughter gets her feelings hurt sometimes,, but she knows how I am . She'll bring friends around once in a while ,, but not to much ,, because she says I hurt their feelings. I just tell her they're a bunch of sissies.
    One of my daughters ex boyfriends used to get pissed at me from time to time,, he wouldn't say anything,, but you could tell he was a little pissed off . Too bad .
    A few years later ,, he joined the Marine Corps ,,, when he got out of boot camp , i went to PI for his graduation ,,, during his leave time one day ,,, he said ,, now I know why you are like you are . I just laughed and said now you are like I are .

natshare, Ura-Ki and hot diggity like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7