The great slid home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Jan 28, 2010.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Winter in New England is always an adventure. Yesterday the temp was a balmy 40 with and a mild breeze. My busy time of the year so I worked on client files until 3am this morning, slept for 3 hrs, then back to work. When I left to see my first client this morning, we were having a few snow squalls. Road were a little slick but nothing unusual. when I left client 1 for client 2, the snow was falling at a brisk clip with large flakes. We had about 3 " on the ground and the plows hadn't been through yet. Road very slick now. Left client 2 for client 3 and the roads were treacherous, snow falling to beat the band and my gas light is flashing red! Made it to the gas station just in time. With the slick road and the gas stop, I'm running late for my appt but but finally get there and deliver the completed W-2's, 1099's, and completed quarterlies. the woman in their office who actually mails things stayed home today because of the snow so I spent the next hour writing post it notes and instructions for everything that she would have to do by tomorrow. Now, on to client 4 and I'm really late but, the good new is the sun was out and the snow had melted off the road. Easy peesy trip. Work for another 4 1/3 hrs at the final client closing out their year and getting the disk done to bring back here so I can get their tax return done. Now, the wind is howling, 40 - 45 mph sustained winds, ice everywhere - I even had a hard time getting the door to my truck open. This client's office is on the top of a mountain - Mountain Road - and it ends on a busy state highway at the bottom. Slow, slow, slow down the mountain and managed to stop before I slid onto the highway. Whew. But....the roads were all coated in ice. What should have taken 30 mins took 90 mins but I was getting closer to home. I exit the state highway carefully and go down through the first ess curve over the little bridge. I'm feeling confident even though the backroad now goes up the mountain through a series of tight ess curves. Slow but steady...until, as I go through ones of the esses about 1/2 way up, a car is stuck across the road and I am forced to stop. No way to get around it. With flashers on, I begin backing down the mountain through the ess curves in the opposite direction. With a combination of braking and sliding, I finally managed to get back down to the flat where I could turn around and go an alternate route. Knuckles are white by this time.

Finally made it home totally exhausted from the adrenlin and long hours. It's now 10pm and I'm going to sit down and have a little supper!

I'm getting too old for this crap.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Lovely here, too. Slid down the hill on a milk run, had to use 4wd to get back up. I think you had more fun --

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Sounds like quite the adventure!

I'm glad that you made it home safe and sound!

4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Y'all Yankees be careful! So glad I don't have that problem south of Interstste 10. [beer]

5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well,
    I'm in for pretty much the same here today. Memphis is getting rain/sleet and snow in a little while, dropping temps.

OH JOY!!

Heck, I through the Chainsaw in the back of the truck, just in case I have to cut some trees to get home!!

6. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

spent last 4 winters in MN...never missed a day of work cause of weather

now in OK...shop was closed yesterday and today...I really hope we open tomorrow!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7