The Gun Debates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

You know, we used to have a terrible problem with drunk drivers in the US.
    It still happens, but not as much as it used to happen.
    We didn't reduce the problem by banning cars, or registering cars, or licensing drivers. We did it by having serious penalties for dui.
    Each of us has a personal responsibility for our own self defense, and all too often when others take that responsibility for us, they fall down on the job. Witness what the deputy did. Witness what NATO did, stood by while genocide was going on right in front of them! More than once too.

3M-TA3, oldman11, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

first it will be bump stocks and minimum age of 21.
    Then it will be large mags.
    then it will be background checks for all (through dealer or private needing to use a dealer) transactions.
    Then it will be a 3 day wait and the firearm will need to be held by a FFL while the transaction goes through and it must be positively cleared by the system.
    And then .. they defund and shut down the clearing system.
    Game over.

Yep, giving in bit by bit will get you to the game over in just a few years.

3M-TA3, oldman11, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Here is the ultimate win for our side, so long as we have guns, we have the means to reject any demands! So long as we have guns, the antis cannot carry out threats against us! So long as we have guns, they cannot take what we are not willing to give! So long as we have guns, the field is tipped in our favor! As long as we have guns, we have the power to change what ever it is we wish, and so long as we have guns they are powerless to stop us! Just sometbing to think About! This is the hidden reason they want the guns so frickin bad, because they are afraid of us! They know that as long as we have the guns, that they have no power over us, only that which we allow them to have, and only as long as we allow them to have it! Think about these points for a few minutes, see the real issues? Think a little longer, see where we have the advantages in any discussions going forward? Maybe it's time to stand up together and make our voices heard, and with a gun on each and every hip, our voices WILL be heard! This is the change we SHOULD demand, and now is the time to demand it! Force the discussions to go the way WE decide to go with them, and FORCE the changes we DEMAND! Let' stop playing this game by THEIR rules, LET'S MAKE THE RULES!!!

3M-TA3, oldman11 and Gray Wolf like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What do you expect "they" will trade (or payback) for giving them the bumper and min age? That, to me, does look like a swindle not a trade. We still have the purchase and possession, I see no need to give anything up to retain those. YMMV, as always.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    3M-TA3, VisuTrac and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Dunno. What do you want? I can think of a few things but I don't know what they are willing to offer.

I do think @VisuTrac is correct that they will continue to nibble but if we are going to negotiate then we have to be willing to give and take. I stated what I am willing to give. And, if we don't negotiate then this is going to get worse and worse and there is no end to it - ever. Well, until the next Democratic house and senate and president get in office then we will get a load of offal crammed down our throats. Also, a failure to negotiate gives them a pre-made platform next election.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    3M-TA3, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. VisuTrac

I have a classic set of lawn Darts ...
    Oh wait .. they outlawed them too. I can't even give them away.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Exactly what do we expect in return for giving them bump stocks, a 21 and older purchase, and enhanced BGCs?!?!?! Any one put forth our requests yet??? How about removing the NFA? How about removing import restrictions? How about allowing new manufacture of class 3 arms? How about Constitutnal carry with no State restrictions, and no minimum requirements??? Where are "We" the people negotiating here for a fair and equitable trade????

Dont, 3M-TA3 and oldman11 like this.
  8. ghrit

In the days when I was bargaining for this'n'that, I always put forth what I wanted when I made an offer. What I want might be (and is) very different from what you might prefer. What I want at this point is a return to things as they were at the time the founders wrote the documents, not as they have been misinterpreted along the way. That said, I'll settle for NO CHANGE that results in me giving up anything, the status quo isn't what the founders intended.
    Standard bargaining rule is never be the first to mention a figure. The first house you buy will teach you that.

3M-TA3, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Bandit99

"How about Constitutional carry with no State restrictions" throughout the United States...

OH! OH! I want that one! Plus, I want a complete review and rewrite of the NFR (since I know they will not remove it) I want 75% lower cost and 90% faster timelines in processing. I want the Suppressor debate to end and I want them across the counter - no NFA. Shorter barrels would be nice...doubt they go 10 inch think they would go for 12 inches? 14 inches? But, the main one is definitely 'Constitutional Carry throughout the United States" that is a game changer.

10. VisuTrac

Negotiating requires a willingness of both sides.
    That does not appear that is the case we have.
    So nope. this is going to get ugly.
    Ok, uglier than it is currently.

3M-TA3, oldman11, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  11. Bandit99

ghrit, I understand. My point is simply, we are either negotiating or we are not. But, if we don't then we will be demonized even more than we currently are and in truth it makes us look really, really bad. And, I agree, with VisuTrac, it will be large mags next, then 3 day wait time, on and on... But, I feel we must negotiate in order to keep the high ground. Asking for 'Constitutional Carry' country wide is not a bad deal if we could get that in return.

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I abhor the silly term "gun violence". First, it puts the onus of criminal action onto the gun, not the person using it. Second, why should being injured or killed by a gun be any worse than by knife, club or fists? Murder is murder, period.
    Basically, I see no way to come to any constructive agreement on this. There are methods that can catch some of these miscreants before they carry out their crimes. Others will get through and commit murder. That is simply real world fact. No gun ban will stop that.
    It's like with muslim terrorists, if the murderer is willing, even intending to die in the action, no deterrant or threat of punishment will work.
    This is a prickly situation, with no real fix.

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Then set the rules of any negotiations before even agreeing to have them! Turn the game around, or better yet, re write the RULES! They use the "Rules for Radicals" on us, don' play their game, make our own Rules! No one says we have to play fair, and no one has the power to demand we negotiate in good faith with a stacked deck!

14. VisuTrac

Any history majors want to chime in?
    chamberlain[1].

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Bandit99

@Seawolf I think arming teachers and beefing up classroom doors and general security would have a big effect but, like you, I think there is not damn thing you can do to stop these nutcases beside shooting them down like a rapid dog.

3M-TA3, oldman11, 44044 and 3 others like this.
  16. Bandit99

"PEACE IN OUR TIME" I think it how it went...Mr. Chamberlain when he negotiated with Herr Hitler, Munich Agreement, I think...

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have to say I like this approach, but I fear it will result in both sides just yelling at each other. I doubt we will ever see a re-write of the NFA, the suppressor debate may have some traction, but now certainly isn't the time for that battle, and the SBR thing is a wet dream too and may be approachable but the non gun owners in this country need to be educated, or de-programmed for any of the above to happen. But, I like the approach!

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and Bandit99 like this.
  18. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Yup! You do, we do and as far as I know it is National. Just pointing out how useless they are. :)

19. VisuTrac

Yep, it was called appeasement.
    And how did that work out for .. well the world?
    It's kinda like what we have going on here.
    We appease them with bump stocks mags and such.
    then they alter the agreement and add a 3 day hold.
    and then ....

20. ghrit

Well, folks, your MBA lesson of the day. Business is done with ONLY three forms of settling deals, the trade, the swindle, and the swap. Somewhat humorous, but no less true.
    When both parties are satisfied with the deal, it's a trade.
    When only one party is satisfied, it's a swindle.
    When neither party is satisfied, it's a swap.

Some of us might be satisfied with a trade, if one can be found. The truth is that the best we can hope for is a swap, and that is if, and only if, it isn't a well hidden swindle.

3M-TA3, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  1. fl4848
  2. BTPost
  3. BTPost
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Waydah
  6. OldDude49
  7. DKR
  8. oldman11
  9. Motomom34
  10. Swedish woman
  11. TnAndy
  12. Ura-Ki