The Jeep Corner, Mechanical, Sheet Metal, Welding, Electrical, Paint and Modifications.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, May 1, 2014.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Sounds like a good toy.

I think my M38 was little used since the steering is really tight and no play in the King Pins.

2. HK_User

OK Last week end was a major fun day. First the Classic Chevy was put back into service with a overhaul of the Edellbrock , we did the Carb and left the rest to a local shop after a complete replacement of the brake system. This was a total hardware change out with new parts including stainless brake lines. Too much for our time schedule so a local shop did the work while we signed the check.

OTOH

The M38's rear suspension was replaced in total. Parts were prepped and painted OD and still a whole lot of work.

You'll note the chopped up Bubba springs that were on the M38.

Long Day but a good finish.

DSCF0342.JPG

DSCF0351.JPG

DSCF0341.JPG

DSCF0345.JPG

DSCF0339.JPG

DSCF0349.JPG

S0120335.JPG

3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

'69 Jeep Commando with the Buick V-6 and '75 CJ for parts. Clutch cable is broken on the '69. May toss it and put the mechanical linkage in. Anyone done that?

4. HK_User

Novak may have what you want in a mechanical linkage.

For sure they have a Master/Slave set up.

[​IMG]
    Shown is Novak's hydraulic slave cylinder retrofit system for Chevy, Buick and Ford bellhousings. This makes excellent use of CJ, YJ & TJ Wrangler master cylinders as well as many others. Click here for more information...

Novak Jeep Conversions - Home

5. HK_User

A few more pictures I missed in my first post.

The first is old and broken parts that refused to budge.

The second is the new and painted correct shackle of 1951.

The last is the jeep as it sets now. The wheels are M51 and the tires are a 10 ply truck tire. Two inch offset spacers on the front are installed so the steering worked and did not rub the tires in a tight turn. Now that it looks right I'll add offsets on the rear just to have the clearance for mud or ice build up.

BTW that is the correct springs and ride height for the M38, nothing jacked up or over shackled.

Next will be the brake lines and all new brake parts.

DSCF0359.JPG

DSCF0358.JPG

DSCF0360.JPG

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You Gentlemen with Jeeps, You may want to measure the center of the wheel base and then measure the center of the local R.R.Tracks...Things that make you go...Hmmm.

7. HK_User

The jeep in WWll Europe did Engine duty on many rail roads and allowed quick short supply trips.

Sapper John, kellory and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. HK_User

Changed the Thread Title to,
    The Jeep Corner, Mechanical, Sheet Metal, Welding, Electrical, Paint and Modifications.

HK

9. HK_User

I changed the title so others can join in with their Jeep.

And as any can see from my pictures I will have sheet metal work, welding and paint to do as I go along.

Others may have a better way to accomplish this and other work or general information or shots of their ride.

Later

HK

10. HK_User

Jeep4ever - Military Jeep History

Perhaps one of the most startling transformations was to convert a Jeep into a train. All that had to be done was to change the wheels for flanged steel rims and add a suitable coupling off the rear panel and lock the steering.

In Europe Jeeps ran along main railway lines, pulling all sorts of goods behind them and checking the miles of unprotected communication wires that ran beside the tracks, while in Australia they were used as switch engines. In the Philippines, the quarter-ton little Jeep pulled a 52-ton supply train for 19 miles, averaging 22mph.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HK

11. pcc

pcc Monkey+

I like jeeps, don't know if I consider myself a jeep nut or not. Seems like every time I trade into jeep I keep it a couple of years then trade it for something else then trade back into another jeep.

Here's my current jeep, 82 scrambler from CA (have all the docs), 3 owner, 74K miles, frame off resto and solid upgrades by the previous owner. Guy spent a ton of the suspension and running gear, it has currie 9's, 5.38 gears with arb lockers and 4 wheel disc conversion front and rear, original 258 with fuel injection conversion custom roll cage etc.

The only thing he didn't finish was wiring I've had it a almost a year and still sorting that stuff out. I'm currently on the hunt for a LS, Hemi or maybe a 4bt to swap into it. With the gearing it barely passes a gas station as it is so I may as well get something with some more power.

Here's a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

[chopper]

I've been working on a new induction system for my jeep. Then classes started up again and it probably won't see the sun until the spring. The stock plastic airbox split open along the weld lines and bypassed the filter. I can't have that, and it gave me a good reason to install an inline filter for a cowling snorkel system.

P1130005.

This is as far as I got before classes resumed. The hose it going to bend 180 degrees from where it's at at the moment and go through a hole I have to drill in the firewall. From there, it will be protruding into the cowling where the heater gets it's air supply from. The other end gets attached to the throttle body with a 2 3/4" rubber elbow. I even have the support hanger kit for the filter assembly, I just need the time.

I'm not going to take the snorkel above the hood line, I like to drop the windshield every now and again. A longer snorkel would interfere with that. I can't find a tractor style intake cap that is small enough to fit under the folded windshield, or I would be using it!

HK_User and Sapper John like this.
  13. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

Hi guys new member to the forum also new to owning jeep,recently bought a 94 cherokee 6 cyl 4.0 l anyways had problems starting it got new batt new alt new starter....finally tracked it down to the ign switch under the dash that is attached to steering column. My question is has anyone done this ign switch repair?has to be on 94 though only year they did this.when removing the switch there was this little spring metal clip/rod that ran through the body of the switch andhooked to the rod running down column for the key ign switch,lost that lil clip thingy cant find it cant find a replacement parts store looks at me like im stupid.right now am using a chunk pf redirod to manually move switch to proper settings to start jeep.PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!! Where can i find one,whats ot called,maxgyver type things that can b used anything at all
    Thanks in advance
    D

14. HK_User

Take a look at the KUBOTA line of RTVs, they even have a replacement for the 900 that repositions the intake higher than stock.

Thus is a rigged set up RTV 900 High air intake - Net Tractor Talk

[​IMG]

15. HK_User

Jeep nutt? Mudder for sure!

Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  16. HK_User

Oldest Army jeep finally gets some TLC

Oldest Army jeep finally gets some TLC

Seventy-five years after it impressed the Army, the oldest known jeep is getting some much needed attention.

GP-No.1 is on display in the Veteran's Memorial Museum in Huntsville, Ala. The museum and the Historic Vehicle Association just finished verifying its history and documenting that GP-01 is one of five original test vehicles – two from Ford, two from Willys Overland and one from American Bantam.

Originally called the "Pygmy" and built and tested by Ford engineers in Dearborn and Detroit, GP-No.1 is the only one of those prototypes known to still exist in North America. The GP designation is believed by many to have hatched the name "jeep."

The Pygmy had features that remain prominent on Fiat Chrysler's Jeep brand today, including the upright grille with vertical slots that are literally the brand's trademark, Historic Vehicle Association president Mark Gessler said.

"The government didn't really know what it wanted," when jeep development began, Fiat Chrysler historian Brandt Rosenbuch said. The Army began work on specifications for a light four-wheel-drive reconnaissance vehicle in 1937 with American Bantam of Butler, Penn.

"Bantam deserves the vast majority of the credit for developing the basic concept and capabilities that became the Jeep," Gessler said.

Henry Ford was a staunch pacifist with little interest in the war brewing overseas, but he thought a little four-wheel-drive vehicle could be useful for agriculture, one of his passions. His more globally minded son Edsel used that opening to spearhead the GP-No.1 project, beginning a process that would see Ford become a vital supplier of wartime equipment.

"It's an icon of World War II and a symbol of wartime production by the auto industry," said Matt Anderson, transportation curator at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. "It's also the grandfather of all SUVs. It's very rare to be able to trace a whole class of vehicles to a single one, but this is where it all began."

Willys built 362,894 wartime Jeeps, all at its headquarters plant in Toledo, Ohio. Ford built 285,660, initially at the Rouge plant in Detroit that today produces F-150 pickups. Ford later added Jeep production in several other plants around the country, including Louisville, KY, where it still builds pickups and SUVs.

American Bantam got the short end of the stick, building just 2,676 Jeeps. The Army threw the little company a bone with a contract to build the trailers that hauled equipment behind Jeeps.

The Jeep remained in military service for decades, but it was popular with civilians before the guns of World War II even fell silent. Willys got special permission to begin building civilian Jeeps months before other automakers were allowed to switch from wartime production and resume their usual businesses.

"It was initially marketed as a farm vehicle," Rosenbuch said. "That's why the government allowed civilian production, to help get the economy up and running after the war."

Henry Ford donated GP-No.1 to the museum that bears his name in Dearborn in 1948. It remained there, getting surprisingly little attention, until the museum sold it and some other "minor" items from its collection in 1982.

History buff Randy Withrow of Huntsville snapped it up.

"It gave me a chill," he said. "I couldn't believe they'd auction it off.

Specifications of 1940 Ford "Pygmy" prototype GP-No.1

•Vehicle type: Quarter-ton four-wheel-drive reconnaissance truck

•Curb weight: Approximately 2,150 pounds

•42 horsepower Ford 119.5 cubic-inch four-cylinder modified tractor engine

•Spicer transfer case and axles

•Suspension: beam axles on leaf springs

•Length: 133 inches

•Width: 59 inches

•Height: 59 inches

Source: Historic Vehicle Association

17. HK_User

Now for some home brew Jeep M38 information.

Temps have moderated and are in fact down right perfect for working outside.
    Earlier this year the M38 did receive the replacement of the Road Wheels and undercarriage. All Mil Spec. The next step was going to be a total brake system rebuild, new parts, new lines etc.
    Instead I have collected the damaged/rusted body parts and decided the M38 needs the care of automotive body shop.

I have a couple of shops to check out and decide what works for us, then tow the M38 in for the work.

The rear has been crashed more than once and rust destroyed the front passenger floor, good old Bubba added a weld on rear hitch and damaged a lot of the drive line tunnel for some reason. The rear bed is rusted and needs a redo.
    Parts were slowly collected and new front and rear floors are in house. Damaged rear tail light housings and bumper are also here.

The only parts to be hand made are the rear corners, which are not available, but easy for a sheet metal shop to replicate.

A new and correct Tail Gate is painted and ready to be hung after the rear tail gate surround is welded up.

Pictures later of what the M38 now looks like as well as some of the new parts.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  18. HK_User

This starts the Picture series on what it will take to restore the floor boards and body to the M38 Jeep.
    The accumulated damage of 60 years of abuse just takes perseverance.

This is the top cap on the rear floor board shipping crate. Total weight was only 100 lbs. Floor board weighs 70 lbs.

DSCF1245.JPG
    Crate was easy to off load from the UPS Freight Trailer.
    DSCF1244.JPG
    This is the front (up) of the rear floor board.
    DSCF1246.JPG

Seats have been removed as well as the Gages.
    DSCF1254.JPG

More dirt!
    DSCF1255.JPG

Rear Floor Board
    DSCF1256.JPG

DSCF1257.JPG

Rear floor board and front floor board.
    DSCF1258.JPG

Left Rear Corner.
    DSCF1259.JPG

Right Rear Corner.
    DSCF1260.JPG

The Bubba Hitch weldment.
    DSCF1261.JPG

Tail Gate.
    DSCF1262.JPG

Front Floor Board and the damaged drive line hump.
    DSCF1263.JPG

Right Rear Corner.

Inside rear floor.
    DSCF1264.JPG

DSCF1265.JPG

DSCF1266.JPG

Front passenger floor board.
    DSCF1267.JPG

Spare Parts
    DSCF1268.JPG

Left Front Fender and light.
    DSCF1269.JPG

Left Front Fender damage, rear cross member, front bumper and part of the tail gate frame.
    DSCF1270.JPG

More Parts.
    DSCF1271.JPG

The jeep did not come with a oil filter so this was purchased.
    DSCF1272.JPG

Gauge Panel. Air force?
    DSCF1274.JPG

Back of gauge panel with wires and water proof plugs.
    DSCF1275.JPG

Reverse side of the new front Floor Board assembly.
    DSCF1276.JPG

Rear Floor Board
    DSCF1277.JPG

Top of the Front Floor Board.
    DSCF1278.JPG

Rear Floor in the rear of the jeep.
    DSCF1279.JPG

DSCF1280.JPG

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Ganado, Yard Dart, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  19. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Love the old iron.

Just got my first jeep end of Sept. 2015 Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock. Manual 6 speed. Sunset Orange. Black hard top w black fenders. Looking forward to wrenching on it & modding it as time goes by.

HK_User likes this.
  20. HK_User

Pictures?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7