The latest in local crimes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

The truck I drive is protected by Rottwieler.. I just leave the keys in it and at times running.. Had a police officer comment that I shouldn't leave the keys in the truck.. I commented that if they can get in it they can have it..

Ganado, Yard Dart and Mountainman like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Locals used to have to watch out for snake oil scams, now the thief cases your place from a satalite and maps out his entrance and escape routes on google maps. My google Earth is updated every so often and I can tell the number and makes of the cars, my green house size, where my woodpiles are, where my gardens are, and I found couple new ways to get to my place, from1 mile away, that I didn't know existed after living here 35 years. That is OPSEC now and I know, I have looked at my tax records, that the town has better pictures of the place than I do. With the green house and neighbors, I make sure to invite the police or one of the town officials in every few months to make sure they know I am not growing weed. Half of the flatlanders are convinced that anyone with a garden, greenhouse, old tractor and fences has to be growing pot.

I wish theft and local crime was a local problem, it is not anymore. Now a man in an office in DC can declare your local creek protected and steal access to half your land, or take your ranch land that your family has been using for a 150 years and make it a wildlife area, or raise your taxes, or outlaw some product you have used for 50 years as some terrorist might use it, or some company has found a way to patent a seed or even worse copyright it. I lost the data on one of my computers to a thief in Poland. It was sitting on my kitchen table at 2 pm while my wife used it to play solitare. Local police said it wasn't their problem, no one I talked to did anything other than try to sell me more anti virus programs and the ones I had hadn't worked, so that makes me feel real confident. When did it reach the point that local crime and security required you to keep a dedicated computer, not connected to the internet,and using Linux, for your bank and tax records, and your family pictures? While the crime, car theft, theft from your house, from your bank account, your identity, are local, the thief now is in Poland, Russia, South America, etc or at least helps those who steal from you.

Tikka likes this.
  3. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

I have a magnetic box for all my trucks with spare keys and they have been where I put them. they are covered with mud and road grime so no one can see them but I know where they are and I check on them a couple times a year just to see if they are still there and here in wv I always carry 3 ---open carry state

Ganado likes this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Crooks can be quite tricky. Wonder just how much of that was planned and how much improv?

kellory, RightHand and Ganado like this.
  5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That was my first thought as well but the police seemed to think it was more a crime of opportunity but it seemed awfully suspicious to me

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Most low lifes of today live by petty theft and salvaging(stealing) at any situation that comes along, a predator of opportunity. Lock the doors the Huns are at the Gates.

Remember they only see you as a free ticket to another Beer.

BTPost likes this.
  7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

LOL, reminds me of a week or two back, when I left my pistol on the vanity in the bathroom, then rode my bike to Florida and discovered my weapon was not in my holster. Really made wonder if someone had lifted it, but I called home and had Jimi secure it. Felt like an idiot, but at least I wasn't a victim.

Ganado likes this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Once visited a friend that was a SO, I noticed as I left the "facility" the sign on the bath room door.

REALLY DID YOU FORGET YOUR GUN AGAIN?

Helps me to this day to remember that sign.

Yard Dart, Tikka and Mountainman like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7