Gear Review The Leatherman MUT(Military Utility Tool)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by RouteClearance, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Beckerbrain

Beckerbrain Monkey

Leatherman no doubt makes high quality tools. I carried a wave for 6 years and it saw almost daily use on the job site. I finally lost it at some point and came across the SOG powerlock when looking for a replacement. It was extremely inexpensive at the time so I gave it a shot.

I have to say, I am an enormous fan. The tools are not outside accessible but I think they make a few that are, so that could be a factor but it’s not a big deal for me. The pliers are where it really stands out, they are beefy and overbuilt to the point of being almost silly. Same for the wire cutters, I am sure you could cut a hole in a chain link fence with them. The gear system really does work impressively.

It’s a bit bigger than the wave but doesn’t feel too much heavier. The price is right on point too. My favorite thing is that the tools are interchangeable. Mine came with a seatbelt cutter type tool that I never used, but I ordered a set of scissors and was able to swap them out no problem. That’s a huge plus for me. I still love leatherman, but once you use a SOG for a few days, you really appreciate it.

HK_User likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

HK_User likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. DKR
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. HK_User
  6. OldDude49
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. DKR