The Lounge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman, Nov 12, 2009.

1. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

Hi Minuteman, good to see you back in the lounge! I don't think anyone can fault you for choosing Cubans; I'm sure we'd all do the same if we could. If you decide to try a Gurkha again, just remember the old "squeeze test" so you get one with a good draw - but, I'd guess that you've got a pretty solid grip on how to pick out good cigars.

Sorry it took me a few days to respond, I just got back from Chattanooga last night. One of the pleasant surprises of the trip was a wrong turn that led me to a liquor store with a walk-in humidor, where I found an almost-empty box of H. Upmann 1844 coronas. I'd prefer robustos, but they're the "old style" Upmanns that I can't seem to find anymore, not the new Upmann Reserves with different wrapper leafs, so I bought the 4 remaining sticks in the box. I've got one of them burning now, so I gotta run. :cool:

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I just got back from a 3 day R&R. Got out of the sandbox for a few days. Stayed at a resort on the Gulf in the Island Kingdom of Bahrain. Part of relaxing is a good cigar. This is the ultimate relaxation, a Cuban Cohiba, a snifter of Napoleon Brandy to dip it in, a bourbon and coke to go with it. The sound of the waves lapping the shore, a cool breeze coming off the water. Yep, total relaxation!!!
    DSCI0367.JPG

E.L., Tracy and Brokor like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That would be a spilt coke, no? (I envy the break.)

4. Minuteman

My son was shaking the table!! I usually don't start spilling any until the 4th or 5th one!

JABECmfg and Tracy like this.
  5. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

How did I miss this ??? [OO]

Personally I'l take most any Dominican or Nicaraguan grown Cuban seeded Maduro. I wish I could afford real Cubans. The darker, the better about 5 X 50 with a good Bourbon. Currently working through a bottle of Woodford Reserve.

I've never been happy with any clipper, cutter, scissors or punch. I prefer to use a sharp knife and slice a "V" notch in the end.

Obviously I'm not spending enough time here... [tongue]

Dunerunner likes this.
  6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Jealous.....
    I just finished the last of my Cuban Cohibas a friend got me in Cabo, damn fine cigars.
    I have smoked enough Cubans now to know the difference between Cuban and non-Cuban.
    I prefer a punch over a cutter. Brandy...sifter.... Hmmmm

7. Minuteman

I read in the magazines about dipping your cigar in cognac or brandy before each puff. I tried cognac and didn't like it but the brandy is great. I prefer a cutter and one I picked up better than the others. It has a back on it so it cuts the same amount each time. And there is certainly a difference between a Cuban and a Cuban seed. Cuban Cohiba is my #1 choice right now.

8. E.L.

I find my draw is easier with the punch, maybe because it cuts deeper. I have some brandy my father-in-law gave me years ago. I might have to try that.
    The Cuban Cohibas are my favorite cigar as well. If I had I had obstructed access I would burn one each day.

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

i have always used a cats eye cut.

10. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

Glad to see this thread is alive and well - to those who've just recently discovered it, welcome to the lounge!

The Xikar X8 never fails me. It produces a nice clean cut every time, and can be found on ebay for about 20 bucks.

I've read about dipping cigars too, but never really considered trying it... I like brandy, but I just drink it...

11. E.L.

I'm liking the brandy dipped cigars. Smoking an Onyx with Don Pedro brandy drinking Buffalo Trace bourbon with it. Good stuff.

12. Minuteman

This is my new favorite smoke. These are by far the best tasting stogies I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. They say to let them age a year or two but I haven't been able to wait that long! I may have to splurge and get a couple of extra boxes and put them up.

JABECmfg likes this.
  13. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

Bump time - this one's for all the Alec Bradley fans out there. (And if you've never had an AB, go out and buy one right now - you'll be glad you did!)

Looks like the sale is this weekend only - Famous Smoke has some great deals on AB boxes right now, here's the link:

Prices Slashed on Alec Bradley | Famous Smoke Shop

Note that most of these boxes qualify for free shipping, and many of them give you the chance to pick up a 10 pack of AB Overture robustos for 10 bucks more with each box you buy.

Also, enter promo code GRUDGE30 at checkout to take 30 bucks off your purchase of 150 or more. Add it all up and it can be a pretty great deal, if you're into sweet sweet tobacco goodness by Alec Bradley, like I am.

I'm not affiliated with Famous Smoke and they're not paying me to promote their business or anything, but I've found them to be a good place to buy from in the past so I don't mind giving them a plug here, especially if anyone else out there finds it useful.

Cheers!

14. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

Per the suggestion of @ghrit - (and yes, I know I said I probably wouldn't do it tonight, but better to type it out while it's on my mind...)

A thorough review of the Flor de las Antillas, Cigar Aficionado's 2012 Cigar of the Year. I'm smoking the box-pressed robusto vitola. It's been sitting in my humi for several months, and the finale of my early Thanksgiving weekend provided the perfect occasion.

1st third - Takes nicely to the torch and begins a smooth, even burn. Hard to place initially, lots of flavor going on here but hard to define any single dominant flavor or aroma. A bit earthy-peaty perhaps, but not enough to be a defining characteristic and just enough creamy sensation to hold it all together. Not much in the way of traditional tobacco notes, which are usually expected, and hard to place any distinct nutty or woody notes, but it's not lacking anything. Full bodied, producing a good amount of smoke, and a solid amount of strength to this one - I can take a few nice draws without being overpowered by it, but it doesn't take long to realize that this stick commands respect, lest I let the vitamin N sneak up on me and put me back in my seat for a recovery period...

2nd third - Still burning smooth and evenly, earthy notes still there but have yielded to definite pepper notes, but not overpowering in any regard, as many peppery or spicy sticks can be. Peppery turns into more spicy after a while, but again not overly so - is that a bit of cinnamon, perhaps? Creamy aroma still there, turning into something more of an egg noggy holiday reminiscense, and just as complex as it was before, but still hard to define the middle section of this stick with a few select flavors, as it is a very active transitional period.

Final third - Cinnamon didn't last long, before turning into coffee, which slowly turned into a darker roast variation, before I nearly reached the point of burning my fingers. The coffee flavor really develops here, but slowly and steadily, a real well-rounded coffee sense throughout. Still a good degree of complexity, but coffee notes are more dominant than any other flavors have been to this point. Creamy notes yield to the coffee, earthy-peaty notes are now a lingering memory at best, but not really missed as this point, as it's proven to be a great smoke throughout. Finishes dark and sweet.

Post mortem - the body and strength remained consistent throughout, it burned fully and steadily from start to finish, the presentation of each new note was just enough to keep me thinking about it as it burned, and I'm really enjoying the aftermath. Overall, an excellent smoke - I've never before reviewed a cigar in such depth, but this one deserves it. Highly recommended.

Now, to compare my notes to the "pros" and see if I'm anywhere near what they had to say about it...

Yard Dart and techsar like this.
  15. Minuteman

Nice review JABECmfg! Let us know how it compared to the "pros".

JABECmfg likes this.
  16. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

Looks like most people are calling it woody and/or nutty,where I did not... Among other reviews, I found:

A guy who agreed with me on a few of the flavors here: Flor De Las Antillas by My Father Cigars cigar review

A guy who enjoyed typing about his cigar even more than I did: Cigar Coop: Cigar Pre-Review: Flor de las Antillas by My Father Cigars

Notes of coconut and charred meat here: Flor de las Antillas Robusto | Cigar Rating | Cigar Aficionado

And finally, this hilarious article on flavor profiling: The Great Flavor Profile Debate - Cigar Advisor

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Elitist Tobacco Snob

:lol:

JABECmfg likes this.
  18. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

It's my new avatar, lol...

techsar, ghrit and Yard Dart like this.
  19. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Getting wound down, shifting into holiday mode...

2014-11-26 15.23.31.

JABECmfg likes this.
  20. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

That looks like a seriously dark maduro... let us know how it burns?

1. fl4848
  2. Brokor
  3. Brokor
  4. Brokor
  5. Brokor
  6. Brokor
    ***** (5)
    Uploaded by: Brokor, Aug 4, 2018, 0 comments, in album: CIGARS
  7. Brokor
    Media

5 Vegas

***** (5)