The Lst Centurian by John Ringo

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Bud, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Bud

Bud Monkey++

The Last Centurion

Anybody else read this?

I really like Science fiction and have been reading it since I discovered my first Robert Heinlein novel some 50 years ago or so.

One of my favorite author is John Ringo who writes a lot of stuff, mostly military fiction oriented. He writes real well and obviously does his research.

I came across The Last Centurion at the local Barnes and Noble yesterday.

Ringo has out done himself. The first half of the book describes how a future (2019) influenza plague coupled with a really cold winter topples the world. He spends the first half of the book going into great detail about how and why a major cathestrophe can happen and it is really, really informative as well as entertaining.

Just started into the second half which shows the subject hero's participation but I cannot put this thing down.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That actually sounds interesting. From the way you described it, if I don't get a chance to read it, at least I will have my own first hand accounts from real life...which is quickly resembling this book you described.

3. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Saw mention of this on another site and watched a video interview of the author. Seems interesting and I'll probably see if my library has it. Anyone who has read it care to give a review?

4. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

It is pretty good. Copies are online if anyone is interested in a free read.

Chris

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

not a bad read... i have a copy in Hard back...

elfdowney likes this.
  6. Mennis

Mennis Monkey+

This was a great book! But then again I have enjoyed just about everything John Ringo has written.

elfdowney likes this.
  7. beast

beast backwoodsman

where does one find the online copies?
    id like to read it

8. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

9. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Not heard of that book, but then i have his entire posleen series. John Ringo one my most fav authors :)

10. elfdowney

elfdowney Monkey+

RE: Lst Centurian

Ringo is without a doubt my favorite author... I have read EVERYTHING that he has written; series, stand-alones, short stories and co-authored... I used to buy used paperbacks to read, re-read then trade or re-sell at the used book store... now I do the digital e-book thing... THE LAST CENTURIAN is the ONLY hard bound book that I own... I will loan it out only after you agree, under penality of death, to return it... I have read and re-read it 4 times and it's still is a page turner!

11. bad_karma00

bad_karma00 Monkey+

Ringo wrote a short story in on of the Honorverse collections, #5 I think, but now that I've said it, that's probably wrong. Anyway, the story was about a near derelict cruiser of the Grayson Navy. I don't know that I have EVER laughed so hard as I did reading that story.

If you get the chance, check it out. I think it was called "The Wackiest Ship in the Universe" or something like that. If you need a good laugh, and you're a fan of Weber's Honorverse and John Ringo, it's a must read.

12. suvalley

suvalley Monkey+

I'm hooked, but good. How refreshing, how easy it is to follow along (reading the Last Centurion) Bravo!

13. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Very cool, I think I will read this this weekend! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Also, thanks for the link Chris!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7