The M/C Shop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Apr 14, 2007.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What grif said, +1. [welcomeLG] and we hope you can get back on two wheels soon.

2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Went to start the bike so the carb wouldn't gum up from sitting and discovered I need a battery. It wouldn't hold a charge and was pretty low on electrolytes, dang it I should have checked the battery level before I parked it. I know better and got lazy.

What the heck are batteries going for these days? $60-$80??? I would imagine just like other things depends on application, seems the smaller they are the more they cost. Guess I'll be calling a parts house tomorrow. Still trying to figure out which kid will be minus a present or 2 to fund it. [booze]

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

'80 gl1100wing/72cb450....love the dual sports though and beemer"R" bikes.

4. ghrit

May (only may) not need a battery, they can often be persuaded to function for a while longer with some TLC (and take care to park on a downslope.) I've resurrected them on occasion when shorter on bux than I am this minute. (I think I need a new one myself. I've about got all I think I can out of this one, it's 4 years old and I have not taken very good care of it. I think I"ll bring it in and put the tender on it, see what happens.)

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

When my bike's OEM battery took a dive, I found the local battery shop had two rated for it - one at about $35 and the other at $70. I went with the 'better' battery - a Yuasa 'service-free' type - I had to add the acid myself and charge it. A year later, it's still going strong. When this one 'goes the way of all things' I may try one of the new gel cell batteries. Since I ride off road, spillage of electrolyte is always a consideration. I think that may have hastened the demise of the first one. I check the liquid levels fairly often - but it still ended up with a totally dry cell!
    Wally's carries bike batteries, but I have heard they don't last.

6. ColtCarbine

No hills to park on around here, so a compression start was out of the question. Maybe back in the day I might have attempted a push start by myself on level ground. The battery is toast it didn't get above 2 volts, if that, on a trickle charge overnight.

7. ColtCarbine

IIRC, the battery that's in it is a Yuasa. I think every scoot I've owned has had a Yuasa battery in it, probably what I'll replace it with, I'm not into cheap replacement items. I'll have to check into a gel cell, never heard of them, if it's a comparable price, might go with it.

8. ghrit

Go to a farm equipment place and size them up. Yuasa is availble, in the right size and rates in a lot of places for far less frns than the bike shops. Last one I bought was from a place that sells and services small tractors and chain saws. About 20 bux less. And it was a gel cell, the only way I'll ever go again. They just don't spill in a tip over. Also, if she starts (damn clock bleeds charge and it's chilly around here) it is time to fill the tank and add some Stabil.

9. Seawolf1090

Reading on the KLR forums, it seems the most populr gel-cell for my bike is oddly sized, and has to be mounted sideways - requires simply minor rerouting of the cables. The guys swear by them though. They are more expensive - price seems to average around $80. Not bad, if it is more reliable and rugged!

Two things I don't skimp on - tires and batteries. Cheap ones will sideline us in short order!

OldDude49 likes this.
  10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

kellory likes this.
  11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

LOL

12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[ROFL]

13. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[LMAO]

14. ColtCarbine

I guess she came to her senses once the alcohol buzz started to wear off [boozingbuddies] [lolol]

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

[booze].Cold midnight air at 65 mph will do that.[coffee2][beat]:shock:

16. Seawolf1090

Maybe she just needed a good leather jacket - cheap! [lolol]

17. RevBushmaster

RevBushmaster When in doubt use more C4

Anyone got a sportster motor cheap ? I need it all, I'm starting with nothing, I will trade guns or land for HD parts. I haven't started building yet but I am thinking along the lines of a old school shovel head, or sporster or even a newer bike with a ridged frame , light, and black ....cheep cheep as I can...?

Nice forum everyone, Oh BTW I love all makes and models of scoots but I wrecked my bike back in 1990 and still have a some of its metal parts inside my bones It just seems fitting that I build another HD. I wrecked a shovel head stroker 88cid. Why did I wait so long to start wriding' again? I got sober last year....I knew if I rode I would get drunk and ride again, and I only want my bones screwed together once....

Nice forum guys and girls women and men...

; }>

: }>

18. Quigley_Sharps

Well
    I went and bought a 2008 Harley Softail Custom FXSTC today....[chopper]
    sidefxxh4.

fmhuff likes this.
  19. ghrit

Congrats on the buy. Looks like a nice scoot, Quigs, but I didn't know there are palm trees in your woods --. Now, if we can get melbo mounted up again, there might be a case for a mid continent meet.

20. Quigley_Sharps

Thank you, its not a picture of the exact bike, how ever they are identical in looks, It will be delivered to the dealership Tuesday.
    I talked with M last night about it, and he seem to be thinking about it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7