The M/C Shop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Planning on attending this year with my Cypriot HOG brothers.
    Some beautiful scenery. Southwest Turkey.

And by the way, this is one of those (gasp) muzzie countries. All of these guys are Muslims. Hope I don't get my head lopped off. Some of these guys look pretty scary!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Quigley_Sharps, Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  2. Minuteman

My baby is packed and loaded for her boat ride. The ship arrives the 23rd. Takes about 30 days for it to arrive. Can't wait!
    DSCN6237. DSCN6252. DSCN6256.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Reminds me of shipping my Bonneville to Hawaii,

Good Luck.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Nice ride there, spiderman.;)

Minuteman likes this.
  5. Minuteman

The guy I bought it from had done the custom work. He said the original paint had a reddish tint to the scroll work around the spider webs. A boy told him he liked his "Spiderman bike". He took it down and had it repainted with a purple outline! ☺

kellory likes this.
  6. HK_User

More changes to the Indian Scout

Just finished putting on the new Handlebars with a different reach, real nice, it now feels like "MY" bike for the first time. Rides and feels different from the first touch down of feet etc.

I have coming a new respectable set of CRUSHER 2.5 inch mufflers. Finally gonna get rid of those Butt UGELEY stockers.

Had to use one of my new scissor lift jacks to get the front tire unstuck from the front tire clamp, and that even after I let some air out of the tire!

All good now, time to clean up and hope for rain tomorrow.

No pictures now for it still appears as stock but here is a picture from the web of the Crusher mufflers.
    [​IMG]

Real pictures later when the FOX shocks and Crusher mufflers are on.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Minuteman and oldawg like this.
  7. HK_User

Just a note for those who might order.
    The shocks arrived in good time and shape.

But, no installation or adjustment information in the box.

www.ridefox.com/dl/help/page711-3TBA/605-01-162_rev_a.pdf

8. HK_User

SAG and Rebound.

Interesting is this Fox Shock, understand that it is of course an engineered shock for the 15/16 Scout. O A length when mounted is speced out in the setup .PDF. Few if any shocks can be set up to prevent sag unless the have a correct progressive spring and a minute adjustment to preload the spring.

Sag is adjusted and allows the balanced load you need no matter the load of the Bike.

Now I am not talking about the simple three step camed rotation device that have been around forever.
    Testing and engineering have built a shock that has the appearance of a shorter travel than stock. This by the measured distance of the free travel of the shock piston shaft.

In fact the progressive spring allows the same travel as a stock and maybe a bit more, say .5 inches and this is accomplished by combining the progressive spring and the rebound valved damped system.

When finished I have a special jump on the property that I developed to become acquainted with the characteristics of the Scout's handling. Mostly because I was limited by Dr's orders on what I was allowed to do after the MI and as a way to get back in the swing of the way a certain Bike handles in the worst terrain, that being in my opinion off camber rutted, rough gravelly location.

Call it that very bad exit from a gravel parking lot right after the ruts have hardened from the winters rains. If a bike handles well under those conditions then a rider can trust the suspension and I feel this shock improvement will go 75% of the way to making this bike a trusty worth steed. Yes I once made the mistake of going off camber on a wash board river bank with a 700cc Enfield, so I have the experience to look for what I want in a street bike for most conditions.

More later and I hope the test doesn't cause any unwanted bruises

9. HK_User

Lessons learned and Stuff that don't work for the Scout!

1. The Scout does need to be in the up right position for some maintenance.

2. Never ever attempt to ride the Scout into a front wheel rocker type chock unless it is bolted in place!

A few things might be the result of using the wrong tool.

1. You push the whole front wheel rocker type chock assembly into your JEEP project and slam your left leg into/on to the left side foot controls. This may cause severe pain, blood loss and bone damage and a humongous bruise on your left extremity even if you have on regular 8 inch high boots. Now if you have on your shin protected (mine were safely in the closet in the house) riding boots you may experience less damage.

2. The front tire will and did jam into the rocker chock assembly. This requires a second person to help or the access to a scissor jack to remove the Scout from the near permanent Chock/Scout interface...............................................

3. Put that Rocker Rig up for sale.

4. Purchase a Made to Fit flat drive in Front Wheel Chock for the Scout.

WheelDock Motorcycle Wheel Chock - EZ Up Center Stand
    [​IMG]

You should never be too old to admit a mistake and fix the problem.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  10. HK_User

Searched around for Saddle Bags, OEM is a bit steep as are the 4 adapters that take the place of the fender bolts, 150.00.

Better find is US Saddlebags, a real set of Saddlebag mounts is 149.00 shipping paid. Bags with stainless steal studs is 749, PP. Many options.

The bag mounts are sturdy and come black powder coated, Excellent welds. US Saddlebags are USA MADE.

Bag mounts, without the bags in place are great for bungee cords or rope for a tie down of gear.

Still no decent luggage rack, in that I mean WWll Bullet Proof as on the old Harleys.

I dug through the steel rack and have two lengths of thick wall stainless tubing and some stainless plate that will do nicely. If I run out of energy a local shop can do the FAB.

Why is it that Polaris and the aftermarket bunch make such flimsy Luggage Racks ????
    I figure to have a 6 point mounting system.

Anyway with the Bags and their mounts I can now design a real Luggage Rack.

Too bad [​IMG] Tully Mars is so far away.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Ganado and kellory like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

"......if it fits, it ships...":rolleyes:

12. HK_User

Now that's a Luggage Rack!

[​IMG]

13. HK_User

Poor Quality jpg, storm had just passed and light was failing.

All leather matches in color and general appearance.

Working on the Luggage Rack now.

[​IMG]

2015 Indian Scout, with Addons and Parking Cradle.JPG

14. HK_User

A Four-Seat Ural Motorcycle Is Cooler Than Your Minivan
    Kevils Ural 750 Combo - The Tourist - The Bike Shed
    Don't ever give up the adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    By Blake Z. Rong
    Apr 24, 2016
    There are millions upon millions of cliches in the world of motorized vehicles. But possibly the greatest one of all, other than, is the adage trotted out on every third Craigslist posting: "now that I've got a family, I need to sell my motorcycle."

Yes, some ball-and-chain significant other forces your hand! The rugrats have finally neutered your masculinity! It's time to begin the long, slow oblivion into death and Dockers Relaxed-Fit khakis—say goodbye to all that two-wheeled adventure! It's time to succumb to a Raymond Carver short story!

Stuff the cliche. One motorcycle enthusiast in England did exactly that.

[​IMG]

This man, an investment consultant named Andrew, wanted a vehicle to take his family while exploring the adventurously-named Jurassic Coast, in the south of England, which just happens to be near his summer home.

A car would have worked just fine. But no. He had a Ural Tourist 750 motorcycle with a sidecar, a 2007 model, not that a model year matters on a Ural. He took it to nearby Kevil's Speed Shop, where Kevin Hill has been churning out gorgeous old BMWs for years.

What is a Ural except a classic BMW design, acquired from the Nazis?

[​IMG]

So, Kevin Hill got to work. The entire bike was transformed into a handsome dark grey, complete with faux racing number plate, a vintage automobile windscreen, and trick asymmetrical headlight in selective yellow. The red stripe and brown seats mimic another motorcycle that Kevin built before, a tidy little Honda dirt bike, and a departure from the usual boxer-engined fare. The tank is from a Jawa, another Eastern European runabout, and knobby tires complete the all-terrain look.

[​IMG]

The perfect practical family sedan.
    The real trick area, however, is in the seats. Yes, there's one, two people riding on the motorcycle, with another person in the sidecar. That much is obvious. But wait! There's more: open up the sidecar's rear hatch and there's a rumble seat, trimmed in the same fabulous brown leather—thereby making this a four-seat machine, and therefore the perfect ride with which to bring your kids.

Wild Trapper and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Minuteman

HK_User likes this.
  16. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

My latest insanity: Our son finally managed to total our 2007 Honda Ridgeline (only 128K miles, scratches from desert plants, stained seats, etc) that he was not grateful for when we let him assume major driver-ship of back 4 years ago. Not altogether a bad thing because no one was hurt and the insurance company settled with me for a most acceptable amount. Needless to say, he is not driving either of our remaining vehicles. :D

He ran across a heck of a deal on a 2002 Honda CBR600 F4i a couple of weeks ago that I let him talk me into getting for him.....with the understanding he got a job (which he now has) and he made a 10% downvpayment and that he didn't ride until he got some serious practice under his belt, and he got sliders to protect the cowling on the sides of the bike. Of course, it wasn't too terribly hard to convince me because I've really been missing riding a bike since I sold my Harley about 6 years ago. :)

It's a sport bike and WAY different feel than a road bike. So far, neither of us have taken it out. Today we got the license plate and lights for it installed. Still waiting for da boy to come up with the sliders....no riding till both the bike and the rider are protected.

Yeah, insanity. I'm almost 65 and contemplating riding a crotch rocket. Ya'll think maybe this is one of those "Don't be terminally stupid!!" moments?? LOL

On the good side, da boy will never have to worry about what to do with his extra money....cuz this bike will pretty much always need something or he'll want something bigger, better, fancier, etc. :)

Kajun

Ganado and kellory like this.
  17. HK_User

18. HK_User

Sport Bike by heritage but the foot peg position makes it a better road bike than most of that type.

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yeah, insanity. I'm almost 65 and contemplating riding a crotch rocket. Ya'll think maybe this is one of those "Don't be terminally stupid!!" moments?? LOL

Still adventurous!!! is what I would call you!

20. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Thanks for the encouragement, Ganado! I like to think I've come to the point where my brain can actually over rule my "Hey, hold my beer and watch this" moments, but sometimes I wonder. LOL

kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7