The M/C Shop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

I'm a 16 year veteran operator and I haven't seen these electric utv's. We currently use utv's, quads etc. But they are pimped out semi armored Polaris off the shelf units. I suppose another unit in SOCOM might use them but not S.F. or Rangers.
    I miss the old klr multi fuel! But two wheels not so good with a hundred pounds on your back!

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

3. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

all I saw in Afghanistan in 2010/2011 was standard gas powered Polaris rzr's.....tan, gun mounts and other accessories.....and they never left the FOB...never used one of them on a mission...

4. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I wasn't looking for a bike and my friend made an offer I couldn't refuse. Really enjoying my 1st Sport/Touring bike.

34K miles one owner meticulously cared for by mechanic.

2001 Kawasaki Concours ZR1000.

I paid $1200 for this and am still shocked. Needs tires soon that's it and a rider. 20170910_184519.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now, when you catch up to melbo and quigs, you can blow by so fast they won't even know you were there. I've known a couple Concourse owners that can't say anything bad about the scooters, one has gone cross country on his, the other makes twice a year MA to FL runs with zero troubles along the way. Concourse are keepers, usually. Best of luck with her.

ColtCarbine likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@ColtCarbine and you can get Tracy Sunshine to ride on the back????

ColtCarbine likes this.
  7. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Every once in a while the motorcycle god's smile on us.. Nice ride there..

ColtCarbine likes this.
  8. ColtCarbine

It is plenty fast for a heavy bike (575 lbs dry) it pulls pretty hard after 4K-5K RPM's. Starting to get my riding legs back and haven't even really opened it up yet.

We will be 2 up riding once I get used to t this bike. I'm planning on getting another bike for a riding companion whether it be Tracy or one of my sons. Figure there is more safety in numbers than by myself.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. ColtCarbine

Thank you sir..I'm glad the motorcycle gods didn't forget about how much i like riding

10. ColtCarbine

Shop idea for you guys I salvaged these from junk..
    20170917_134421.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  11. ColtCarbine

20170924_145206_HDR. 20170924_144953. 20170924_144927.

Mount Hood with the Sandy River in the valley below in foreground.

Short ride near the mountain, pictures don't do it justice.

Wild Trapper likes this.
  12. ghrit

Envy running out of me, especially since my riding days are over. I'm simply no longer willing to take the risk of getting to pavement on this damn dirt road hill, too old to pick her up when I dump her.

13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I went to a trike ghrit. Now I don't have to pick them up anymore.......or remember to kick the stand down. Much less laughter from the curb now. :oops:

ColtCarbine, Wild Trapper and ghrit like this.
  14. ghrit

I confess to thinking about that, leaning toward CanAm rather than a trike. Somehow, three wheels just ain't the same as two when it comes to the twisties. Thot about a two wheel drive Ural, too, but the handling characteristics would put me in the ditch nearly as quickly. What's utterly appalling is the price tags on those beasts; as dedicated a rider as I was, those put me off rather quickly. (Not to mention that I'd need another garage stall---)

ColtCarbine, oldawg and BTPost like this.
  15. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

The view would be the same as on two wheels. I'm 71 and still ride, thinking about going to a lighter bike. I live back a gravel drive, all level, but I know what you mean about 'dirt road hill' would not be fun on any two wheel bike heavy enough to be comfortable on the opened road.

ColtCarbine and oldawg like this.
  16. Dont

I ride my soft tail up here to my place in the mountains.. Dirt, gravel, mud, or asphalt.. That bike loves it all. Course the wife is telling me I may need to start thinkin about a trike.. Silly woman..

ColtCarbine, Wild Trapper and oldawg like this.
  17. ghrit

Last quarter mile averages 13 percent grade. About 50 yards at closer to 16 or 17, all loose stone, usually washboarded. Me's nervous on highway tires, and as far as I'm concerned, there are no suitable tires for loose gravel that will settle my nerves with a 600 lb scooter. Uphill doesn't distress me, but downhill sure does. Brakes are really (too) good on gravel. (Made for 1G stops from the ton.)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Wild Trapper likes this.
  18. ColtCarbine

I'll confess about forgetting to put up the kick stand. I stopped for a coffee and went to take off, only to have the engine die. Did that a few times, got frustrated took off my helmet and went to put the kick stand down to find it was already down.

Duh, forgot all about the safety switch if the kick stand is down.

Wild Trapper, oldawg and ghrit like this.
  19. Dont

Some forget to put the kickstand down when they shut it down..:whistle:

20. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

I've been riding for 36yrs, since my mum taught me. Still ride for a living.
    Here's some pics of me on my yamaha yzfR1, quite a while ago now:

1914708_1248542297392_7221242_n. 1914708_1248545097462_828960_n. 1914708_1248542417395_6454525_n. 170957_1785992093301_238251_o.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7