The M/C Shop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Apr 14, 2007.

1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

My last bike was an FLHS and it loved it all due to the excellent treads available. The trike came about due to bad vertigo. No serious problem riding but caused a lot of problems at rest at stop lights or low speed maneuvers. And the weight difference between an 820 lb. dresser and the trike is so little the performance is still there and two wheels for traction. I don't much miss the two wheeler anymore especially as nearing 72 now I have a reverse gear.

ColtCarbine, Dont and Wild Trapper like this.
  2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

If you haven't test road a CanAm yet please try one. I have seen them in the twisties and on gravel. The variable camber steering on a reverse trike is not to be sneezed at. Just because we grow older don't mean we have to grow up you know. At least not all the way. A little wind across the bald spot is still a little wind.

Dont and Wild Trapper like this.
  3. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Did that once at a gas station, some lady saw me do it and laughed at me. How embarrassing, if I hadn't been looking at her and been paying attention to what I was doing, I probably would not have forgotten to put the kickstand down. :oops:

ColtCarbine and oldawg like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I worked with a woman that was so good looking that men would literally walk into walls while looking at her. Women that good looking will create a real hazard to riders.. AND no alcohol need be involved!

ColtCarbine and Wild Trapper like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I still ride my 2015 Indian Scout but added this to my corral as a way to ride in the dirt too and stay in shape.
    This is 2016 FXS Reduced Ride Height. a much modified 2016 ZERO 2016 FXS
    Never give up!

6. HK_User

Had a friend do that years ago in DC, he was a "little" under the weather. I knew something was wrong as I looked on but it didn't register until he started to tilt. He fell over still with both feet on the pegs.

ColtCarbine and Wild Trapper like this.
  7. Wild Trapper

I'm at an age where, if I don't feel at least 90% I stay off the bike. Truth is, I might even think twice before I'd drive unless it is some kind of emergency, just stay home and rest up. Being retired, I can get away with doing that.

oldawg likes this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Still have two....and FJ1200 and The Zombie Express....my XT600 hunting bike.. :D

ColtCarbine, Wild Trapper and HK_User like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

What year softail ya got ? I picked up 1 from a buddy of mine last year , that used to a buddy of ours that passed away about 10 years or so ago. It's the '84 1/2 , 1st year. Probably gonna put it on the bench and go thru it this spring. Motor still runs smooth as silk, I just like going thru them so I know what I've got when I hit the road .

10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

What year FLHS. I've got a '90 FLHS , got it on the workbench now trying to finish putting it back together after a rebuild.

11. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

'92. The only thing I changed was to go to high amp stator and commercial duty regulator. I did tweak the factory carb for a faster mid range roll on and fork valving for a bit softer front end. Left cam and displacement stock. I think you'll find it to be a great road bike and without all the problems of the later electronics. Especially when the anti-theft kicks in a few hundred miles from home and you reach for your fob only to find it's still on the table at the house.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    SB21 and Dont like this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Lol on the FOB. Mine doesn't have that, its the single cam model. The oil pump went out one day, so I've put an aftermarket pump on it, bored 20 over with 10/1 compression Pistons , and an EV-27 cam. Mine always seemed to be taching up to high , at 70 I was taching 3500 rpms, so I've jumped up on tooth on the compensator sprocket to try and drop the rpms for the big road. I figure with the compression change it'll keep it from lugging to bad on take off.

13. Wild Trapper

upload_2018-7-27_7-58-14.

Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  14. Wild Trapper

upload_2018-7-29_7-23-51.

OldDude49, Yard Dart, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  15. Wild Trapper

upload_2018-8-1_6-55-7.

OldDude49, HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Wild Trapper

upload_2018-8-9_6-2-46.

upload_2018-8-9_6-5-54.

OldDude49 and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Wild Trapper

upload_2018-8-9_6-12-36.

OldDude49, SB21, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  18. Wild Trapper

upload_2018-8-23_6-59-27.

OldDude49, HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  19. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I have two bikes, a 06 1200 Sportster that I have done a few things to, and 2011 Ultraclassic, Prince edition. It's purple and black. Right now it is in the shop for a recall. They told me it was important to bleed the brakes. After waiting for hours they told me the ECU was bad and it had to be replaced. ??? turns out on some models you have to flush the brakes every two years or the ABS module will corrode. I have to pay for part, but they will cover labor. Had a argument with Harley over it and lost. The dealer is giving a 20% discount. Other than that I like it. I had a KLR and liked it but where I live there is no place to go off road.

HK_User likes this.
  20. HK_User

Thinking back with the one bike I bought new, never had to go back to the dealer, even if the Prince of Darkness built the electrics.

D2wing likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7