The M/C Shop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Apr 14, 2007.

1. 8PW

8PW Silent but Deadly

I did the top end on an old XT500 years and years ago. I'm not the most mechanically minded person mind you but I struggled through.

I'm sure there will be folk more qualified than I am on the forum.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No, but I've done top and bottoms of twins, triples and fourples. What do you need to know? Do you have a Haynes or OEM shop manual?

(My last single was a two stroke Zundapp, no cams. WAY long time ago. [ROFL])

3. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've done plenty of atv and motorcycle engine rebuilds over the years. What are you planning to do on the 4 stroke engine?

4. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Well I'm breaking down an 85 honda xr250 that didn't run. I got it running by cleaning the carbs and put 7 miles on it before I noticed the head dribbling oil by one bolt which turned out to be stripped. So I have to replace the head. I'd like to do this myself to "make myself stronger" since I've never done it before. I've repaired a lawnmower engine and generator and now working my way up the food chain. It would be a useful skill set. Well upon dissassembly, when I got to the camshaft sprocket I hit a roadblock. I can't get it off. It turns so I can't get the sprocket bolt off, to remove the timing chain and camshaft then the head.

I thought of taking it to a shop but that would defeat the purpose of the exercise.

So is there any help out there? Please?

I would like to get the engine running and then, either sell it and convert the bike to electric for commuting http://www.evalbum.com/ or keep it and make the bike a Bug out Bike/patrol mc (emp won't hurt this thing). If I could find a small diesel engine I'd prefer that since I have a diesel truck, one fuel type would be best plus could make own fuel.

Thanks SLug

5. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

and the wonderful manual says " remove cam sprocket bolt" Nothing more about torque or any other tidbits I've picked up on the web. I did see something about using a 2x4 for leverage and an impact drill. I just don't want to F it up. So I'm still looking for good tips on how to remove it.

6. ghrit

Is it a head bolt or valve cover bolt? From your description, I'm thinking valve cover. If indeed a cover bolt, then try Devcon before drilling and helicoiling. If that works, you won't need to take the head off. If that doesn't work, look into helicoiling instead of replacing the head. If you can get at it to drill and tap the stripped hole without taking the cam out, it'll save a bundle of hassles.

For the sprocket bolt, IIRC that is into the end of the camshaft. Penetrating oil might help. Are you sure it isn't left handed? You can try one of the hand held impact drivers, too, rather than getting out your uncontrollable air wrench. Tried heat yet? Lastly, you could sacrifice the cam chain, but check that they can be had before taking a cutter to it.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

8. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Ghrit, thanks I'll look for that stuff. The stripped bolt is a head cover bolt. Unfortuantely I have it already apart. I was just able to get the cam sprocket bolts off last night. That was the bolts I was having issues with removing. So I'm well on my way into the fun of engine repair.

Thanks for your help ya'll.

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

from the traveller site horizon's unlimited
    Why? by James Richmond

"'Why do you do it?' friends often ask, perplexed,
    Brows raised, minds sorely vexed.
    'The world out there is dangerous!
    Aren't you scared? Why do this?
    You need steady work, a house, two cars!
    You have only a motorbike, and sleep under stars!'
    Dear friend, if you must ask, you cannot know
    This curiosity that drives me so.
    To you it is hidden; in me rises unbidden!
    But one day the world I'll have ridden
    By iron steed, then perhaps this need
    Will have vanished, finally vanquished!
    That day will find me on deathbed,
    With no regrets for the life I led.
    Will you be able to say the same?
    Or will you despair a life worn plain?
    I will stake my Himalayan memories
    Against your estate of a thousand trees.
    Pit my Thai sunset
    Against your private jet.
    Weigh my horse rides at sunrise
    To your Italian suits and ties.
    I'll rejoice in friends before I go,
    Not the figures of my stock portfolio.
    And, amazingly, there are more like me;
    They reject slavery, and are truly free.
    They took the chance we all had,
    And honestly it makes me sad
    That you didn't.
    You thought you couldn't...
    What?
    Live without the luxuries
    Of all our modern amenities?
    You choose the bonds of mortgage, but claim to be free,
    Wasting a lifetime absorbed by TV.
    Why watch it? but live it!
    One life's all you get!
    Don't put off 'til morrow and continue to borrow
    The lives of strangers; 'tis the greatest of dangers
    To the soul
    Which grows old
    Before its time.
    Hercules, Columbus,
    Guevara, Odysseus,
    Champlain, Agamemnon,
    The list goes on...
    What have they in common?
    Regardless man or god,
    The soil of continents they trod,
    Not in search of gold but adventure!
    Not growing old 'cause they ventured
    Far from safety; but far be it from me
    To Judge...
    --------------------
    The pitiless pity us
    With souls black pitted.
    Pray! save it for those less spirited.
    For us... our horizons are unlimited."
    by James Richmond, Canada, in India
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/whygo
    We're getting there guys 32 above today(cabin fever is taking its toll) !!!!

10. ghrit

Good find. Gotta say I wish I'd started riding sooner.

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

check out horizons unlimited.com a board,( no "a community") built around long distance motorcycle travel.They throw travelers,meetings all over where"world riders" share their trips. good stuff especially for January.http://www.horizonsunlimited.com

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Lane splitting experience...

I got this today from a friend.....

Lane splitting experience...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Pure dumb luck on his part - glad it worked out for him!

Yesterday the idiots were running the roads. I was stopping behind a car, and saw a car behind me rolling up fast behind me! I slid over to the left in my lane - couldn't go further - just as the idiot comes up on my right. He saw me at the last moment and swerved right. Had I remained center, I would have been sandwiched! Undies still clean, and when I flipped my face-shield up and asked the idiot if he was blind, I got the old 'deer in the headlights' stare back.

Musta been something in the water - he was one of three morons trying to kill me yesterday. :rolleyes:

14. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Modo-sickle guys...this topic has been done all over,(I realize) its mostly personal preference..I know there are hd folks here and of course it would be real easy to start a pissing contest with no point but name calling....

We're currently on a 1980 gl1100 goldwing interstate.
    Preamble:
    The wife seems to have a new found love of riding since we did the key west trip. We are planning another 4,000+ miletrip this year the wing has 79,000 on it , I've started the wonderful task of pondering a possible replacement.
    I'm looking primarily at the latest big tourers. flh, victory vision, GL1800. When I first saw the victory vision a couple of years ago I laughed it off and hated the outrageous styling. But the GL1800 has too many buttons for my taste, the 6 sounds too much like a car.

The biggest reason for an upgrade for us right now is the better back seat on the newer "luxo-barges". I'm not really into "cruisers" though I've owned an 81( amf) shovelhead FLH;

1) I have been looking into the victory more and its is starting to grow on me...
    2) IMHO "Looks-wise" the ultra classic wins, but I'm not sold on the whole h-d "image thing" so its not a hands down no question choice....
    3) the 'wing is dead nuts reliable, powerful, electric smooth(too?), proven over many years; but imho ( more a car) "overly complicated".
    THE QUESTION:

ANYBODY HERE RIDDEN A VICTORY VISION ?
    I'm still not 100% past(in love with) the styling but the 106" v-twin sounds like torquey fun and the wife loves the (looks of) the passenger accomadations.
    I know we gotta go ride one..( dealer is only 30 minutes away).

15. ghrit

If you like luxo barges, try a beemer R bike. Too pricey for my taste, and I never learned to like the turn signal switches on my old K bike (no longer in the stable.) But they hold up forever if you watch the shaft splines.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Always liked the"R"'s, perhaps an"RT" guess I could put a tour trunk on the rack ( rear seat is almost the#1 line item on this replacement agenda; otherwise I'd run my 4banger interstate into the ground (200K?)...I want to get away from 4's so the "KLT" is out.

Why did you give up your k bike??

What kind of fuel mileage do the R's get?? I Have to do some research...

17. ghrit

Old age, ('87) high mileage and extensive and expensive plastic damage from a low side slide on asphalt in '05. (Not to mention the price of proprietary parts and troubles with the forks.) Thirsty, too. Donated her to Goodwill and took the tax break.

Have a peek at Concourse while you are shopping. Bullet proof engine, but has some easily fixed weak points elsewhere. Cruise the connie owner's forums. It is a four, but a smooth one with LOTS of grunt.

LTs come with a trunk and bags and more goodies than you can shake a stick at. Take a deep pocket for either the H-D or BMW. Connie is a lot less of a hit, and there are more aftermarket goodies that are not OEM sourced. A friend put a Rifle windshield on his 91, said it made all the difference.

:D

18. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

thanks G (fast response...) :)
    "Old age, ('87) high mileage and extensive and expensive plastic damage from a low side slide on asphalt in '05.":D
    You or the bike???[rofllmao][rofllmao]

19. ghrit

Yup. we think about thirty feet for the bike and 25 for me. Rode her home with bent bars, no headlight, no right side mirror or right side turn signals (after dark) and the wind screen (and helmet visor) inside my coat before the adrenaline wore off. Another five minutes, I'd a been so stiff I couldn't have gotten off her without falling.

I was on a road that ran alongside a small river that seemed to attract kids in a party mood. One stepped out from between two cars, I grabbed a handful of brakes, that was all she wrote until I woke up and crawled over to hit the kill switch. Helmet destroyed, saved my chin from forcible removal. Nothing broke on me, but lots got "adjusted" by impact. Damn kid, I shoulda taken him out. Might have if I wasn't concerned with getting home before stiffening up.

[coffee2]

20. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Sorry,glad you were wearing a helmet (mut've beena fullface?: That's what I wear) I think I had a (celente)"economic doom over pressure light" come on and the idea of buying a new bike relieved some pressure. I'm the guy who was pushing for us to clear out our debt...back to the latoc financial doom today and spending big bucks on anything is a fantasy from more"normal" times...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7