The Menu (Monkeys make good sounding boards)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder5Ranch, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

If you are making a reasonable income/profit... and half say you are too high and the other half say too low you may be hitting it about right.... You seem to have a good customer following as it is, and sudden increase could turn folks away...

YMMV

2. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Around here, somewhere in the Carolina's, you're significantly under the average for food truck rodeo/farmers mkt/auction house fare.
    Pork Burger ~ 6.50
    Big Daddy ~ 9.00
    Pulled Pork ~ 7.00
    Bird parts and dogs about right

I'll eat any of it in a heartbeat! :)
    And I think I'll get a shoulder on the smoker when I get home.....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I actually went to a place in TN years back that explicitly stated on the menu and several signs: "Please Pay What You Think Your Meal Was Worth"
    The owners made a bundle!

Seepalaces, UncleMorgan, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

The pricing seems fair to me, little low on the hot dogs. There's an easy 'nother dollar to be made there. I'm also seeing a trend with Mom 'n Pop places charging even money and doing away with the change.

Seepalaces and UncleMorgan like this.
  5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I wouldn't make any adjustments to anything yet. You're excited about profits and most of the customers are happy about pricing.

I would do an assessment in a few months after the novelty has worn off for your clientele. Then you'll know your base better.

Since these are farmer's market, I assume they are seasonal. Off season might be the best time for pricing changes.

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Yeah found that with the packaged meat most people want to pay even money or in .50 cent increments.

I have a rock solid 600 regular loyal customers many of which have been with me for 20 years and jumped right over to the prepared foods side. Many said the meats were great before and even better now that they don't have to cook them. Probably had 200 new customers last week that I had never seen before. Those 600 are who I want to keep happy they have been my pay check for a lot of years.

7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Is my hanging sign "This Food Melts Snowflakes" over the top?

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

From my time doing shows over the last couple of years, I would call those prices competitive, and that kinda profit says you are on to a good thing! Would not fiddle with it if it's working.
    That food made me drool, and I ain't even hungry!

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Prices look competitive, good variety.

My wife did have one momentary thought on the pork burger description...she got to the "whole hog" and instantly thought "mystery meat."

Other than that, I'd make a few purchases ;)

10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Congrats on making a good profit right out the door. It could level off in the future , don't spoil'em to bad with the cheap prices , but dont scare'em away by robbin'em. Me and a buddy used to sell hotdogs at a few events a while back , people didn't want to pay for them , we put a donation jug out and made double what we made selling them , and we didn't even have to make them for them. A buddy of mine and me , we like to smoke pork butts , and beef briskets . I've been telling him we need to try and hit a few events and see what happens. We'll see about that. I do remember a few years back in my AO here , a guy used to set up a good sized trailer , cook and sell BBQ out of it , everybody loved it , bragged about it , told him he needed to get a resturant. Personally I didn't think it was anything special , I grew up on grandmas and grandpas BBQ and fixin's. Well the guy started that resturant , lasted maybe a year , then belly up. Do what your doing , and enjoy it. I know it's a lot of work , but when it turns into a job,,,,,it'll start to suck. I don't see myself gettin out your way fer a while , but if I do , I'll look ya up. I'm wantin to take some time and see some of this country I ain't seen b'fore I go belly up , LOL.

11. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Oh, yes, please - do stick a knife in me in twist it. I am not getting nearly enough abuse from being half way around the world from such meals. :D

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You're in trouble now. Show a weakness, and you KNOW it will be poked. I'll have a helping of that roast pig, thanx.

13. Asia-Off-Grid

Et tu, Brute? :D

Seepalaces likes this.
  14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Last two to come out of the smoker this evening sadly they were only half cooked when I took the picture :( Getting really hungry yet ;) ???
    DSC00275.JPG

ghrit, Seepalaces and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

@Asia-Off-Grid If it would make you feel better I could send you all of the spices necessary to make my Carolina style vinegar based Bar-B-Q sauce just add vinegar and pork...

upload_2018-6-19_0-13-40.

Grill some shoulders and Boston butts ... pull chop and add my special sauce and you have Carolina barbecue....

Zimmy, SB21, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  16. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Most folks know what whole hog is LOL and it is a lot easier than saying "All of the primal cuts are ground into our burger and sausage" Although I do occasionally get asked if that "REALLY MEANS ALL OF THE HOG IS IN THERE?"

Seepalaces and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  17. Witch Doctor 01

Don't you need a larger grill?;)

18. Witch Doctor 01

That's what we call "Everything but the squeal sausage...":whistle:

techsar, Seepalaces and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  19. Asia-Off-Grid

Ya know, I don't have to take this from you lot. I can go anywhere on the internet and be abused.

20. Witch Doctor 01

But I'm Offering to help you make your dreams come true.... I won't guarantee that the folks in customs will not snatch it up first... but I'm willing to try:)

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7