The Merits of Honesty

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Ganado, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Once there was a little boy that lived in the country with his father. They had to use an outhouse, and the little boy hated it because it was hot in the summer and cold in the winter - and stank all the time. The outhouse was sitting on the bank of a creek and the boy determined that one day he would push that outhouse into the creek.

[​IMG]

One day after a spring rain, the creek was swollen and the little boy decided that that was the day to push the outhouse into the creek. So he got a large stick and started pushing. Finally, the outhouse toppled into the creek and floated away. That night his dad told him they were going to the woodshed after supper. Knowing that meant a spanking, the little boy asked why.

[​IMG]

The dad replied, "Someone pushed the outhouse into the creek today. It was you, wasn't it son?"

The boy answered yes. Then he thought a moment and said, "Dad, I read in school today that George Washington chopped down a cherry tree and didn't get into trouble because he told the truth."

The dad replied, "Well, son, George Washington's father wasn't in the cherry tree."

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When i was young , we and the neighbor kids were playing baseball in the street, and as it got dark and every one headed home I was having a bit of fun just batting the ball strait up in the air, except for the last hit that put the ball in the center of our '55' pontiac windshield.
    I had no choice but to tell my dad what I had done.
    I was all by my self when it happened, except that I know God was watching over me.
    I told dad what I had done, expecting the worst, and to my surprise he made no big deal out of it. and forgave me.
    From that time on I was never afraid of telling my dad about my failures. Sometimes I had to work to pay for them,but it was with a mutual understanding.

GOG, Dunerunner, 3M-TA3 and 12 others like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

when in my late teens my family joined with a neighbor family in traveling down to the banks of the Ohio river where the neighbors owned a small wooded plot of land to fish and camp and hunt at. I had my 1st pistol, a H&R model 999 revolver, and my friend borrowed his dads 38 special which we were target plinking with. As we were walking back into camp we saw (my friend) Steve"s dad go into the outhouse. His dad Roger was a notorious practical joker, who at which everyone had suffered over the years. I quickly whispered to Steve my plan and we prepared to put it into effect. Laughing loudly I declared that Steve could not shoot for shit, and that he could not hit the broadside of a barn. Steve loudly retorted, See that big pine knot on the side of the outhouse, I bet I can hit it and knock it out before you can. I replied, you are on. We both threw large rocks at the outhouse and just as ours was about to hit it discharged the pistols into the ground. Pappy Roger burst through the outhouse door, landing on his ample belly in the dirt. screaming stop. His pants were around his ankles. His ass was bare and he had a wad of partially used dirty toilet paper in his right hand. He was not at all amused. We ran for my parents car and fled the camp site for several hours. His dad had calmed down by the time we returned to camp. It was a practical joke story told anytime Pappy Roger was getting froggy with some of his tricks. he absolutely was convinced we had shot the outhouse.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Legion489, Taku, Mountainman and 5 others like this.
  4. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I am not sure why but in life I could have easily escaped difficulty by lying at times but didn't and truth would bite me in the ass.
    In a more recent event (I will shorten for this post as I had posted the story elsewhere.)
    I purchased a firearm barrel part it arrived was wrong, defective and dangerous and would have resulted in my death, injury or loss of firearm had a used it. I contacted the seller and now for a month the guy has gone phyco on me over the part and returning it.
    I told my wife I should have just claimed I never got it, and put in a claim with Ebay/Paypal which would have covered it.
    Instead I get mail, emails, hang up all over this part I have I can't use and seller wont refund. Still no idea why the guy is acting like a nutjob, but point was I would have done it all over again still knowing what I know. But sometimes wow honest bites you in the ass even when you are in the right and doing the right thing.

I turned in a company I worked for that was stealing from our clients, long story short I ended up quitting because they now threatened to fire me, I live in a fire at will state, and then got black balled even know they got fined and in trouble I was honest lost my job and my reputation in the field all for doing the right honest thing.

I still try and do what right not sure what lesson God wants me to get but it happens allot getting screwed for doing what was right and just.

Be honest but be aware there are consequences to lying and telling the truth that you must learn to live with the choices you make.

Legion489 and Ganado like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Usually if one knows they are bound to the truth, before they do something wrong ,it is a good deterrent not to do the wrong thing.
    Mistakes we make are not always forgiven ,but owning up to them builds something you can't buy ,
    Integrity. And that is worth so much more in the long run.

Ganado likes this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well said . It makes sleeping a lot easier .

Ganado likes this.
  7. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Contact E-bay and say that the part is not right and demand your money back from Ebay and see what happens. Of course you might have waited too long, but include the emails from the scum and other proof.

Yeah, being honest CAN bite you in the ass. I just reported some things at work today about a minor mix up ($10 went in to the wrong register which was no big deal, just got the money and put in the right till, no one really need to know) and WOW was there a WHAT?! YOU REPORTED IT YOUR SUPERVISOR?! DO YOU KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU?! If I just sat tight and said nothing I would have been fine and money ahead, but nooooo, I had to tell my supervisor that I changed it over.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7