The Most Dangerous Volcano In America Is Roaring To Life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Dec 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

The closest incident that we have to compare a yellowstone eruption to would be kraktoa.. And yellowstone would still be different to any point of reference we could have, we have never seen a super volcano eruption ...
    Prepping is prepping and it really does not matter from where the bad comes. If one has worked to cover all the basics, best as one is able, that is what you have to work with when the bad come to your door!!

3. Dont

Get a little spooked when I get a down load and did not expect one...

4. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

For me, considering this eventuality is likely an academic exercise, but that even has value.

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Dont

For me, all calamities that have befallen man is worthy of consideration.. If history truely does repeat itself, then it is only prudent to expect it once more..

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Sorry about the download. I scanned with kaspersky and it was clean. It was the only sensible article I could find on the topic. I was looking for an Idea of how much ash could fall on Michigan. We are a long ways off from this caldera. My guess is a few inches which could be tilled under. Ash is not toxic. Its sterile as far as I can find. Could scrape it off the garden or till it in with fresh manure. Im not sure how it would effect thing over here. A lot also depends on the way it blows. Maybe she blows a little at a time and maybe she blows the center out of the continent. Most likely somewhere in between.

7. Dont

Was wondering just that myself. Have some folks in Pentwater area and Lansing. Volcanic ash, is in fact great for growing things as it breaks down..

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

But not, if it blocks all light from said growing things.

9. Dont

Would not matter if you have the grow lights inside. And , as a prudent prepper, should have sufficient goods to take you and yours through that critical period..
    A controlled growing environment would be handy. How long has it taken things to bloom around st helen?

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

even a few inches of ash will kill most of the fish in a river or an inland lake. Kind of hard to suck oxygen out of slurry.

11. Dont

That and other reasons are why it would not be a good thing to have happen. Yet it is survivable..My opinion only, maybe.. Oh h*ll, we are all gonna die, so start running around waving our hands in the air sqealing like little girls!!!

john316 likes this.
  12. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

From memory, when Mt. St. Helens blew, the nitrogen fixing plants (legumes, peas, etc.) did well because the ash was nitrogen deficient. I'll try to find an article to support that.

13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

When Mt St Helens blew, we had a ton of ash the next morning in Bozeman, Montana it seemed like inches thick sitting on the cars but then I was just a small guy back then.... Yellowstones ash flow would be determinened by the prevailing winds at the time what the down-wind flow looks like who knows. The initial post with map showed an estimated initial area of impact upon detonation. Add to that the loss of visibility due to ash in the atmosphere, it will be a global event. What changes our reality is the fact that this is not just a regular volcano/mountain ... the blast and subsequent damage is going to be huge. When does this happen...in our lifetime, who knows. But the fact remains that the land is rising and there are signs of life in the old girl... Is she waking up...time will tell.

14. Dont

What ever I can contribute to this discussion is only my observations, and thoughts. Yellowstone has been long on my mind and how could I prep for a blow out like that.. First, would be the sisgmic effects to prep for. Earth quake prepping.. This would probably be north and central American wide. Tsunomi ??
    Blast effects . How local is local in this case? A well built and blast resistant bunker pop's to mind. And then theres the poison gas's that are released. Fallout! There will be falling rocks. How far out? How deep could you expect them to penetrate the earth. Lava flows? Most all this will be localized, as local is measured in hundreds of miles. And then the ash. Here is the long term effect. Think I read that there could be a cooling period of six years? Will there be a shorter growing period or a non existant growing season or more. How long will your seeds remain viable? Are you ready to provide climate control as well as a light system to a growing system? Air system for a bunker that can overcome the ash depth? And what about getting out of a bunker that may be berried under multiple feet of ash. Don't even think about running an engine without having a system in place to deal with filtering out the ash.

Good lord this is wordy. Dust off those old nuke survival manuals. They will apply..

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

All i know is, if you see a huge plume on the horizon. Just remember, what goes up, must come down. Gravity, you must obey, it's the law. Pyroclastic flow running at 400+mph, yeah that's gonna be a bite in the butt.

16. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Good 'ol Mother Earth sure does have some mega-zits forming, but I don't think there's enough Clearasil in the world to handle those babies.

I'm not gonna worry about it, because A: we're either close enough to it that we are SCREWED immediately in this scenario, or B: we are far enough away to have a chance to survive. Either way, just keep making sure that in a situation where we're not totally screwed(like if an airplane crashed into our house right now), we have the tools/ability to pull through until the crisis is over.

oldawg and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Dont

Thats the reason for prepin. Wise enough to know you are a target and get out of the impact area.. And have the fore thought to see where the all impact zones really are.

18. Yard Dart

Not intending on creating a scare thread.... just trying to provide food for thought on how to approach this specific event in your prep's. As many have said here, being prepared for any event in general is plus one for you. Then you add the layers that you need based on the threat you anticipate for your area. If a super volcano popped, do you have the resources to overcome issues such as a protected grow area, seed stocks, grow lights, breathing apparatus if the ash is thick (think of the asthma folks in your crew..it will be hard for them.. and you), visqueen/plastic sheeting to protect areas from dust/ash including windows- doors...covering water troughs for animals..ect, communications capability if you are cut-off, weapons in case there is a exodus passing your way... and so on....
    YMMV

19. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Does being prepared for Superbowl Sunday count? [touchdown]

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. Yard Dart

Only if you have enough chips and beer for the rest of us Monkey's!!!!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7