The Most Dangerous Volcano In America Is Roaring To Life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Dec 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Not my intention to scare anyone.. I may very well end up carrion for the starving critters in the mountains.. In the mean time, heres a show for you all,

Brokor likes this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Sorry to disappoint, but we don't have beer in our household. No alcohol really, 'cept a mini bottle of Bailey's or Kahlua. Potato chips can be done, might be homemade if nothing else, but sure beats nothing, right?

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Can we at least tip some cows after the Seahawks with the SB? :D

4. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

A realistic threat from the ash is silicosis Silicosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the irreversible accumulation of silica in the lungs.

Here is an article relating it to volcanic ash Volcanic Ash -- Effects on Health and MitigationStrategies .

A supply of simple N95 masks will mitigate the risk according to the CDC (if you believe them) CDC - NIOSH Publications and Products - Respiratory Protection Recommendations for Airborne Exposures to Crystalline Silica (2008-140) .

It seems a handy and ample supply of N95 masks is a good idea for this and other contingencies.

Yard Dart and tulianr like this.
  5. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

May even consider a decon site out of one's home to decrease the amount of ash brought in the house. I'd consider a station farther out for brushing it off and maybe another station for rinsing off. If it's cool enough, wear a set of slickers when out in the stuff to make it easier to rinse off.

6. Dont

A sprinkler system mounted in all the trees around all the approach's to the house with a remote sensor to activate and then wash down all the .gov personel that comes calling..

7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

It's too cold to go out cow-tipping here, besides the closest ones are like a mile away and we don't drive so you'd have to walk.

8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Study: Yellowstone magma much bigger than thought - Sci/Tech - MyNorthwest.com

9. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

They still can't accurately predict due dates for babies but they think they know volcanic eruption 'due dates'? Ooooooooooooooook. I think I'll look into those N95 masks for some reason.

10. Dont

Their guesses rang all over on when any of these volcano's will go off.. Much better at predicting earth quakes...N95's would be handy to have at any time...

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

12. Dont

13. kellory

h2dESGc.

14. Dont

Thats interesting.. They don't need volcano's to raise havic... They have salties and snakes... Even the Toads will get ya!

15. kellory

517aeb6a62717.

Yard Dart, Brokor and Silversnake like this.
  16. Dont

Who needs fire and brimstone when the local fauna will do you in...

17. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

As I understand it, those in the immediate danger zone who don't die from the initial explosion will most likely be killed by the (sulfur) gases, not by lava.

18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Ill stay in Michigan thank you. Lots of water here and we are prepped for the long haul. Keeps seeds frozen for long term also buy seeds the day of. The world may go somewhat dark for a while but it will clear and life will go on.

19. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

You'll be buried in my ash cloud. :p

The debris field from the last major eruption pretty much encompassed the entire western US. The ash cloud will put Krakatoa to shame. The entire northern hemisphere will experience 'nuclear winter'. The southern will have severely reduced sun exposure. If it's as big as a few are predicting it might rival the KT asteroid for shear loss of life/species on the planet. Life will go on for sure. Just how long life will go on for northern hemishperers is questionable though. Will the initial blast survivors have access to enough uncontaminated water? The ash slurry will be pretty much impossible to filter. How long will it take for the ash to settle out enough to grow crops? How will land be cleared of ash to allow for planting?

You will even hear it being that close!

Yeah I figure the closer I am to it the better. About 200 miles to the center of the caldera as the crow flies. Shouldn't feel it for too long...

It's better to burn out than to fade away! - The Kurgan <--- darn near 30 yrs ago!

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Well that theory is being debated by scientists now. I have seen several different maps of what the ash fall out would be like. My guess is we get less then the worst predictions . Not only that No one knows how bad it will be when it goes. The Jet Stream will effect where it goes as well. I have a very good chance of not getting much at all with the right winds. The wrong winds and jet stream could like you say bury us as well.

What If the Yellowstone Supervolcano Erupts? | Yellowstone Hotspot | LiveScience

Silversnake likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7