The most sold book ever and the least read

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by Minuteman, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. duane

duane Monkey+++

Mathew in Geneva bible with comments. My favorite translation. The sermon on the Mount is interesting as it is Jesus speaking on the Laws of Moses and introducing some of the new concepts that add to the old testament laws. Can spend many hours thinking about the Sermon on the Mount and it isn't wasted time.
    GENEVA BIBLE 1599

And Mathew 5:21 is one of the places it all falls apart, the translators used the word Kill instead of Murder, and thus you have the split between the Amish, etc, and those who believe that there are differences between kill and murder.

In one of the more modern translations.

Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 20 - English Standard Version

In the commandments they use the word murder rather than kill.

It is odd but one of the best discussions on the term is found in a Wikipedia article on Mathew 5:21

Matthew 5:21 - Wikipedia

One of the comments in the Wikipedia interests me, if you kill in self defense or in the military, etc, you are doing it as a last resort and without hate and it isn't murder, but if you are doing in with hate and as a deliberate act, it is murder. This discussion has been going on for several thousand years and I doubt if we will find the magic answer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

There is a big difference between “kill” and “murder”.
    [flag]

Minuteman and duane like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Often think that one reason the left hate the Christians so badly is Mathew 5 thru 7. The sermon on the mount and in fact an outline of what it is to be Christian pulls no punches in believing somehow only you are right and have the right to judge others.

GENEVA BIBLE 1599

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. GhostX
  8. OldDude49
  9. duane
  10. OldDude49
  11. Brokor