The movie's Goodbye World and How I Live Now.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yoldering, Aug 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

This movie started out okay but soon turned really bad in my humble opinion... Goodbye World (2013) - IMDb
    It is free on Netflix at the moment. They went from a good beginning----- to a bunch of want to be hippy's smoking dope, drinking, and cheating on each other...with the most dangerous hazard a couple of Army deserters and a biker gang.

Another movie I recently watched was called "How I live now" also on Netflix. I little more realistic with a really slow beginning. It is about a small family who lives on a farm in rural England. WW3 breaks out and things get serious. Once you get over the cousin love it turns out to be an okay movie. How I Live Now (2013) - IMDb

Goodbye_World_Theatrical_Poster.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    Falcon15 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I tried to read How I Live Now. It was a YA fiction and I just didn't get into it. I will look into the movie. The whole cousin thing was odd.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Being from Tennessee, cousins are considered "Training".

4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

We just watched both of those as well... Goodbye World was last night. I liked it a bit better than you, if only for the way it portrayed the granola eaters. Here they had this amazing setup, food, medicine, solar, plenty of land.... and no way to protect or defend it. Plus their house looked like it was wall to wall windows. Easy pickings. When one guy coughs up an old revolver they go ballistic on him for bringing a gun to their place. They were lucky the two army deserters didn't just shoot them all and take over. Personally I think they're representative of a lot of younger, more liberal preppers I've come across over the years. They can't fathom people they know turning on them over food or medicine. Did find it amusing that the only one among them who knew anything about the constitution when the deserters were trying to convince them they had to let them stay was the girl they all hated. The Mr. didn't like it, mostly because I couldn't stop griping at the characters for being so stupid. Yeah, I'm THAT person. :D

How I Live Now... cousin thing didn't bother me. Daisy had grown up in America and never seen any of them until then so it wasn't like they'd ever known each other. I didn't get the head thing between her and Eddie but maybe that made more sense in the book. The war part of it, the poisoned water, digging through the bodies to find the other boy, I thought they did a good job with that, particularly the family the girls were placed with for a bit.... all those supplies but the wife had lost it over their son and refused to leave even as bombs were falling all around. Think I'll pick up the book.

Falcon15, oldawg and Yoldering like this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

If you can't keep it in your pants, at least keep it in the family?

6. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I have to disagree slightly. Goodbye World is a very interesting take on a WROL/TEOTWAWKI scenario. Most compelling for me was the soldiers. If you also look past the pot smoking/hippie crap you will see how woefully unprepared you can be if you forget security.

I will watch How I Live Now, if it is still available. I just watched Goodbye World last night, so it is rather fresh in my mind.

VisuTrac likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I'm watching the Book of Eli currently. Yay!

Hammerhead and Falcon15 like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

What I got from Goodbye World was that these people, after years of separation, wound up at a BOL without a plan of leadership, action, or future.
    They might as well have all been walking out of the big city and stumbled upon the same plot of land. They had to learn on the fly on how to interact with one another. Only one of them really had a plan, the others were along for the ride and damn lucky the property was good to go post schummer.
    I think I'm going to rewatch "The Road"

chelloveck, ditch witch and Falcon15 like this.
  9. Falcon15

Watched Goodbye World last night, How I live Now tonight. Interesting, but obviously adapted from a Teenage fiction book. Very realistic and gritty portrayal of life after a TEOTWAWKI event.

Tomorrow night is 20 Years After.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  10. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Falcon, did you mean "How I live now"? I'll be curious as to what you think of 20 Years After....

Falcon15 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I watched Tomorrow, When the War Began on Netflix about a year ago. That is another young adult fiction series. It was thought provoking in that you wonder if a disarmed society could fold like that.

Brokor likes this.
  12. Falcon15

Yes, Yod, thank you.

13. Falcon15

Just watched 20 Years After.
    Meh.
    Interesting premise. Suffers what most low budget films suffer from. Crappy acting, disjointed story, unspecified details...like how are they generating power after 15 years? Just not too appealing. Overall, I would not recommend anyone watch it.

I am going to Watch 40 Days And Nights sometime during this week. Pandemic (2009), and Tomorrow, When the War Began will be watched by next weekend.

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

I agree @Yoldering, This movie started out okay but soon turned really bad in my opinion as well... Goodbye World (2013) - IMDb
    It got boring fast and I fast forwarded through much of it. 1 star.

"How I live now" also 1.5 stars. Too slow.

Prefer to rewatch Jericho or English Survivors series which I will do soon.

Brokor likes this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I watched a season or two of Jericho. Those people were so clean. I know it is TV but it really bothered me that they were so clean and stylish. A little bit of dirt and scuff would have been better.

AmericanRedoubt1776 and Brokor like this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, that is always my gripe, but on the greater scheme of things, I think you would agree it's not that big of a deal. A little more attention to details like that would have made it better, though.

You guys would really like Jeremiah if you haven't watched it yet.

Jeremiah:
    The year is 2021, 15 years after a plague has killed nearly everyone over the age of puberty (both the event and the virus itself are referred to as "The Big Death" and "The Big D"). The children who survived are now grown, and find themselves faced with two choices: either continue to scavenge off the diminishing remains of the old world, or begin trying to rebuild.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  17. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Yes! Jeremiah was a great show.

Brokor likes this.
  18. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

That is one area where Walking Dead broke the mold. Up until that show, all the post-apocalyptic, end of days movies people were still pretty. They might let the guys get a little dirty but the women would still have great hair and makeup to the bitter end. The only thing the women seem to suffer is their clothes get ripped into smaller and smaller pieces as the days wear on. But not Walking Dead! They're just freaking foul, lol, to the point I remember a thread somewhere (might have been here) where people were grossing out over Glenn and Maggie getting it on in some scene despite being just grimy and greasy as all getout. And it isn't an attention to detail thing. I think the other shows were afraid to risk their stars sex appeal going south by mucking them all up.

I just added a few shows to my Netflix list: Time of the Wolf (foreign post apoc) , Take Shelter, 2012 (I just like that one), The Day, The Colony (the movie not the TV reality show), and Gran Torino just because.

19. Falcon15

I watched The Colony. Very intense flick. Gran Torinio is excellent also.

kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  20. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Watched "Goodbye World" last night with the wife. Our thoughts - It was an OK movie, more of a realistic disaster movie than most hollywood movies. That being said, it did make us ask questions like "How would we handle that?"

I've added a few other movies to the queue for later watching. Love this thread.

Spoiler Alert - if you haven't watched the movie and plan on it, don't read below!
    (I set the text color to white, so highlight below if you want to read ;) )

In town at the store run by bikers, prolly do just what they did, barter on the final price of items.
    Watching a neighbor get beat up, don't know how we'd handle that. Both my wife and would have been armed, but it wasn't clear to me if the bad guys were associated with the bikers running the store (I thought so, wife didn't). If so, then stepping in and help would have brought out more bad guys. As it was, when the main characters were leaving, they had stopped the attack. Maybe they should have just backed up and picked him up and brought him home? Hard to tell on that one.
    Soldiers, who we didn't think were really soldiers. Again, we would have been armed and shown them the door, perhaps contacted the neighbors where they got the horsed from. If found out that they took by force, then, well, old west and horse thieves.
    I would NOT have shown everybody the stock of food, and those that knew about it would need to keep their mouths shut, failure to do so would be dealt with somehow.
    Much better security on the supply shed.
    Being ARMED, yeah, this was a hollywood movie that tried to put guns in a bad light (only thugs had guns).
    I thought the ladies reaction to killing a guy was pretty realistic, if you've never had to do it (I haven't) it may impact you more than you think. I know many people say that they would have no problem pulling the trigger, but none never have.
    My assumption was when the neighbor asked for medicine the first time, they already knew he had some (either he said something or they had a pretty good guess). The neighbor had already shown good will to them by not inflating the price of the food, he should have shown some back, just my opinion.

I have more thoughts, but I'll stop here for now:D

chelloveck and Yoldering like this.
  1. phorisc
  2. Motomom34
  3. Bandit99
  4. SB21
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Shinzo
  7. DKR
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. sec_monkey
  10. Legion489