The need for an Early Warning System at home OR how to lose $1400 worth of food and medicine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AD1, Aug 5, 2016.

1. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Another thing that may happen is a loss of power for a day or two (or longer) while your away then it comes back on and re-freezes your food.

An easy low tech device you can make is to get a plastic hour-glass timer. Drill a hole in one end and dump the sand. Refill with a bit of water. Epoxy the drill hole closed. Put it in the freezer, wait for it to freeze then turn it over with the ice up at the top of the hour glass. If you find the ice has moved from the top to the bottom, you lost power at some point.

Brokor, Cruisin Sloth and BTPost like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Just did this....Get an adjustable temp control for a walk in freezer, a 12v strobe light (your choice of color) and a 9v battery to run it. Set the temp to 20 degrees and wire it up to strobe when the temp reaches 21 degrees.

Ganado likes this.
  3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I bought this one
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYIEDOI/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Got one remote in the frig in the garage and one in the house frig.

Have a third one out side on the patio with temp and humidity and one in the humidor [beer]

I have both in the fridges in the non freezer section with alarms set cuz those should climb faster than the freezer sections.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I bought a few of these : VICI TM803 Fridge Refrigerator Freezer Digital Alarm Thermometer ED[​IMG]

While I already have machined the top lid & installed one of these : IMG_4687.JPG it's quite .
    I did loose a GREAT 25CF deep Freeze to a off shore POS ASIAN inverter (High Freq) . It killed the motor after it had been on my outback inverted for two years since new.. Didn't loose food , but scramble !
    I learn't ez with loss of just 800 usd + freezer that the offshore asian solar stuff is CRAP .

Being a Ranch with critters , there is always someone around , 3 freezers are in use while we have 2 spare in dry food mode & 3 fridges also in open vent ready to be put into service when the processing starts for rigger . Some times I will grab a dry food freezer & install the refrigerator thermostat & run it as a fridge when the processing is intense ..

Sloth

Ganado and AD1 like this.
  5. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

I have thermometers in both freezers and check each morning to see if temp is consistent 0.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7