The Next Weapon

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by VisuTrac, Nov 7, 2010.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I am thinking about getting myself a Kentucky Rifle with Flintlock ignition that way I will only need lead and the ingredients to make propellant.

Now I just got to figure out how to sneak the purchase past the wife :mad:

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Dixie Gunworks used to sell rifle kits or complete guns with percusion / flintlock interchangeablity. Same barrel, different locks, and a screw in drum or touch hole insert. The drum then took a separate nipple. Gives you the ability to go either way. It's damn humid down my way and here percussion is much more reliable than flintlock. Just a consideration.

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

If you save the used caps you can also "reload" them using caps... not as good as store bought but workable

4. VisuTrac

I think I should probably go with the percussion cap instead. flint would be cool but an extra 200 for a flint kit. I can always whip something up that goes bang when hit.

Thanks !
    [freedom]

5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I bought a really nice one recently by checking the bulletin board of my local sports center on post. I have seen similar postings at sporting goods stores, knife shops, hunting shops etc. Do the rounds and take a look. It's a buyers market for such things. Also check Craigslist- even though it's against the rules, I have bought/sold many from there. The flintlock I bought was $400 and sells for some $600:
    Cabela's: Cabela's Blue Ridge™ Flintlock Rifle
    I don't think it's ever been shot. I think a flintlock is the ultimate in terms of sustainability. You can reload metallic cartridges until you run out of smokeless powder and primers. You can make primers and make loads for BP in metallic cartridges, but you are still limited to the life of brass. No such problem with a flintlock. Lead is the only issue and is fairly easy to come by.

6. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

As I have said in my thread "lever action" the choice of you weapon is a personal preferance. I feel whats most important is that you are happy with that decision
    and if you can live with it,that is alright by me. I mean if they did it to win our freedom from the brits, they even used them up through through the civil war.
    Daniel boone used one at the Alamo. so hey go for it. Personally I cannot use a muzzle-loader, or a percussion rifle. i just cant wrap my head around the concept of those weapons.

7. azprospector

azprospector Happy Desert Rat

I have an old flintlock and have used it to take deer and pigs in the past. They are fun to shoot and once you get used to them can be very efficient and accurate. One needs to keep in mind that making BP isn't quite as easy as it may sound. Depending on where one lives, obtaining. Charcoal isn't usually a problem but do you have a natural source for sulfur and potassium nitrate? Gunpowder can be made just using potassium nitrate and charcoal, but without the sulfur, the powder is not as strong. You can use other nitrates but potassium nitrate is the best.

Something else to keep in mind if you make your own gunpowder. To reduce the likelihood of accidental ignition by static electricity, the granules of modern black powder, the type you normally buy in stores today, are typically coated with graphite, which prevents the build-up of electrostatic charge.

I like the idea of a flintlock in a SHTF situation, just be sure you have all the facts before you totally depend on one.

8. Witch Doctor 01

If i remember correctly you can get potassium nitrate from burning sea weed....

9. azprospector

You may be able to get potassium nitrate from sea weed I do know it would be a little difficult to find any sea weed in AZ. Most states have a nitrate deposits of various types in them. The problem would be finding them after SHTF. You would need to do your home work Pre-SHTF in this area.

10. Witch Doctor 01

check out stump rot...

11. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Potassium nitrate can be bought in some stores. I've seen it for sale in a bulk food store under the name saltpeter. It's not real expensive either. Do a Google, you can probably find it online. It is used for home recipe meat curing.

It can be made at home but I never tried. The procedure is not that difficult if you have access to chicken yard dirt.

I don't think it is legal to make even small amounts of black powder at home, but in an EOTWAWKI situation, you're on your own. Learn all you can while you can still find the methods.

12. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

You can readily buy potassium nitrate through the sausage maker catalog since it is used to help cure certain sausages and can be purchased in bulk. As far as the sulfer goes I think you can get it from a&b prospecting in Arizona, sulfer has been used in refining metals so look there.

13. Wild Trapper

We used to be able to buy sulfur from the drug store, ya have to ask for it, as it is not out on the shelves.

14. VisuTrac

Now not only do I want a BP rifle. I want a Tok TT33. I guess not buying myself any presents that go bang for the past 2 years is catching up with me. (not including the AR lower receiver that i smuggled into the house). Now if I could just find someone in SE Michigan that wanted to part with one, I could sneak out went the wife hits the black friday sales at 5 am. w00t!

15. azprospector

Basically I was referring to obtaining BP ingredients after the melt down. That is when knowing where natural deposits can be found will be important.

16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

For more details on making DIY BP

You fellows might find the following link of interest for making DIY black powder:

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/firearms/23713-homemade-black-powder.html

17. Wild Trapper

Well, if you know where you can find a bat cave you can make saltpeter from bat crap, it doesn't have to be chicken yard dirt. Here in Ohio they used to actually mine the stuff in the old bat caverns for the saltpeter market. And just think, we cure ham and sausage with the stuff.

As for sulfur, not sure had to obtain that other than to plan ahead and stock up before hand.

18. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

HOLY BAT POOP BATMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good info Trapper, not sure if I would want to cure sausage with it but ok.

19. falcon5

falcon5 Monkey+

I have used a .54 cal caplock a few times for hunting, and they are amazingly effective at 125 yards or less. One deer I hit at that range was knocked about 8 feet uphill. Of coursem you have to wait several seconds for the smoke to clear to know what actually happened. Also, conical bullets are much more accurate than round balls, so keep that in mind as you shop for bullet moulds.

A .44 cal revolver is likewise very effective, and they do not require the BATFE paperwork. If you shop for one, try to get one that has a top strap rather than the exposed cylinder, and steel frame is better than brass. The 1858 New Army style is that type. Cabela's sells it for $200.

BP is a whole lot of fun, and they are very effective weapons, considereing the very slow reloading process.

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My SHTF Firearms are a 50 Cal Cap-lock Rifle, and a 44 Cal Ruger Stainless Old Army. I can and have been making my own powder since I was in Jr High School. The Percussion Caps are a bit harder to make, but Aluminum Pop Cans can provide the basic metal, and Lead Azide isn't all that hard to synthesize. I figured a long time ago if the Grabbers really wanted to make firearms, unavailable to the public, they would ban, Brass & Primers. Hence BP, and caps that I can make myself. I can still reach out and touch a target.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7