The old military ethics

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by duane, Jan 5, 2024.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

I was rereading the old Blue Jackets Manual.

The Bluejackets Manual

The one in the archive in the Monkey is the 1917 or so version. Unlike the modern services it does not start out with the use of proper pronouns and DIE standards. I refuse to use DEI which by no accident in Latin is the singular form of god,as they had many instead of one. Rant off. The first section of the manual, pages 25 thru 55 deals with the duties of every man in the Navy, from recruit to Admiral. and is titled 'Discipline and Duty". It is in one sense the best codification of what was expected and delivered by an honorable man of that day and what could happen if you strayed from the true path.

These are the men who would be fighting in WW1 and knew it. They created a spirit of duty and of courage that allowed us to win WW2. The last torpedo bomber at Midway in VT8 continued the attack even as all of the rest of the squadron was shot down and was also shot down with 1 survivor out of 30 crewmen. The men in the Brewster Bufflos took off and fought the vastly superior Japanese aircraft and both actions led to the Japanese making mistakes that allowed the US to win the total battle.

The manual has sections that give the pay and benefits, the carrot, as well as a lit of punishment and court procedures, the stick.

While I don't expect anyone but fools like me to read it, it is an excellent look at the reasoning behind the men that won WW1 and WW2 for us and a sad reminder of what we have lost in the woke and leftest generation. we now seem to have people entering the service of our with country who wish drag queen story hours and "female" officers.

An aside to cheloveck. I respect their right to do and call themselves whatever the reason. but it would seem to create problems when those few times come in our history when individuals did their duty knowing that they were going to die. But who placed their duty to God and Country above their own survival.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    GOG, Zimmy, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  2. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

My father served as a Naval officer in WW II and had a copy if the Blue Jackets manual. I can remember reading parts of it as a kid. Don't know whatever happened to it over the years

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    CraftyMofo, duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Dad made each of us READ his copy of the Blue Jackets Manual growing up as kids, his was issued 1958! Lots of good stuff that stuck with us through the years, and I think it SHOULD be required reading for all male children before high school!

johnbb, Cruisin Sloth and duane like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Why just Male ?? Sisters are as strong . AS I HAVE seen.
    S

CraftyMofo, chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have never seen or heard of it before so a BIG THANK YOU!

I believe much of the problem is of the United States government own making. Why should we fight, kill and die for a government that uses us like fodder for no valid national reasons, no true objectives, no desire to actually win and for a government that has shown it hates us and our country. We don't fight for the country anymore. We fight for our corrupted government that cares not for us or the nation, just for itself, its own power, its control, itself...

EDIT: People forget there is a huge difference between the government and the country.
    "Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

johnbb, GOG, jim2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Remember, too, that this was in the Navy's days of "Rocks and Shoals", the punishment system set up before the Uniform Code of Military Justice (aka UCMJ). Back when you could get in trouble for "silent contempt" of a superior. :eek:

GOG, duane and chelloveck like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Yep, had a woman Major back in the 1950's who was on my case. I always called her Sir, I said that she had been commissioned as an officer and gentleman by an act of congress. In those days the pronoun laws did not exist and that is what the law said. I guess as an A1/c I might have been pushing the point, but I wanted out of the USAF, and they wanted to extend me for 2 more years and she was in charge of extending me. Wasn't a happy troop. Could be taken wrong I guess, or at least she thought so. Senator got me out in 2 months and 12 days beyond the 4 years.

Bandit99, Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7