The "one gun" I usually have near to hand

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Thaddius Bickerton, Apr 9, 2012.

1. hedger

hedger Monkey+

It is not my intent to ignite a caliber war.

But since the OP has stated a preference for .45, I would like to share that the most definitive post regarding the real world performance of various calibers is on a website that i recently visited

conservativestronghold.com

The OP in the post at the above website, makes an excellent point when he states that ballistic gelatin only measures the impact and penetration of various caliber bullets upon-------ballistic gelatin.

Of course, in the real world, bad guys wear clothes, different organs within the human body have differing densities, and there are said to be bones within the human body as well.

The poster has worked in a morgue. He recounts what happens when different caliber bullets actually impact human bodies.

Cutting to the chase: He says that .45 is the best all around caliber and that .357 magnum is a close second.

As for all of those who may insist that high powered .44 magnum or perhaps 10mm would be better, please just read his post. I think you will find it rewarding. I did.

E.L. likes this.
  2. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Hedger, in a Perfect World we'd all be packing High Capacity .45s All The Time. But the world ain't perfect.

3. Rugers LCP

"Sent via the Skyrim messenger service"

4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

In the "caliber wars" you might look up hatcher's notebook. Written in the 40's it and my own small experience is why I carry a 45acp. Bottom line carry what you are comfortable with BUT become proficient with it or you'll be just another victim.

5. Shot placement makes most firearms capable. practice is always key.

A .45acp round to the head is like flipping a light switch within 50 yards . I know from painfully gained first hand experience in some ugly places.

I don't doubt that other rounds would do similar, but I know and trust my life to the 1911 and .45 acp.

I don't preach it , I live it, if something better suits another's needs I sure don't condemn it.

I am gonna go read that link ya'll shared, and hatchers notebooks is on my bookshelf, well thumbed and read.

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If one does their part; very few won't work well enough for government work. 45 acp and 9mm did well enough in WWII and others leaving neither with anything more to prove.

If my buns were in harm's way, I'd prefer a rifle. Pistols are OK when that is all you can have.

7. I agree,

Lot of truth that one's handgun is to fight one's way to one's long gun.

8. STANGF150

Personally, if I HAVE to use my lil Sig .380acp. I'ma unload the whole thing into them in a hurry. Then throw it at them as I run for a Bigger Gun!!! LoL

oldawg likes this.
  9. I hear tell that there is some very decent self defense ammo for the 9 x 17 (.380)

10. STANGF150

Got sum, Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr FTX $1.25 a bullet. In late May I have hopes of getting a new pocket gun being released by Sig Sauer. Its exactly like my Sig P238 only a hair longer & hair taller. Its their Sig P938 in 9mm!!! :D

11. m4carbineguy

m4carbineguy Monkey

A Glock 9mm.

17, 19, 26 or 34. One is always nearby.

12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

That describes matters perfectly.

13. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Just remember to practice head shots, 2 to the chest and 1 to the head. I carry a Kel Tec P-11 and shoot that way. In my past life I carried a Glock 21 as a primary and a Beretta Tomcat 32 as my backup and I knew the 32 was a head shot only weapon.

When going into town I have my Kel Tec with me, a Glock 29 also in the vehicle and the wife with a Glock 27 for backup in her purse.

Around the house, don't ask, you will not make it here if I know your coming!!!

14. Expatman

Expatman Monkey

I keep on my night stand and carry daily a G30. I love the .45 ACP and the G30 keeps it in an awsome package. At work I carry a G17 so I would be just as happy with that. I also have that as well as a G19 at home so I get the best of both words from 9mm to .45 ACP. (no .45 vs. 9mm debate intended)

15. With the advent of more wearing body armor I have switched to

2 to the pelvic girdle area 1 to the head drills.

Hit the knee, femoral artery or pelvic bones or anything else in that range is similar to hitting a charging bear in the shoulder with a stopping round. Will slow them, probably kill or pass them out, and then the head shot as they fall to make sure.

In fact if you let recoil work for you the first one low then recoil second COM third aimed head shot might be a good option.

Just some food for thought YMMV

Mountainman likes this.
  16. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

The way things are going this may be the only way to deal with the upcoming threats. Good advice.

17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

FYI:
    [​IMG]

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Good for Males, but Not so good for Pregnant Females..... If you shoot a PG Female, using this method, you get nailed for Two Deaths instead of ONE....
    .... YMMV depending on the prosecutor.... [stirpot]....

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

When my life is threatened I would not discriminate in any way shape or form. :D

20. Should I ever have the misfortune to once again see the elephant, the last thing that will be on my mind is second guessing myself about legal matters.

If I were unwilling to use deadly force in defense of myself and mine and perhaps others whose life is threatened, I would not go armed in the first place, instead trusting to 911 dial a prayer.

My preferred solution will be avoiding the problem in the first place / de-escalation, but once fight is the option, then suffice it to say judged by 12 beats carried by 6 IMHO< YMMV

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7