The Ox - Low Cost Rugged Flat Pack Truck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3M-TA3, Sep 7, 2016.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Clever and intriguing - I wants one:

http://www.sunmotors.co.uk/news/the-ox-a-flat-pack-truck-that-could-change-the-world/

MEET the Ox, the world’s first flat-pack truck. It’s an all-terrain vehicle that’s been designed by an F1 ace to be low-cost and able to tackle the world’s toughest environments.

Unveiled today, the ‘ultimate MPV’ aims to reach the 80% of the world’s population who don’t benefit from motor vehicles.

[​IMG]
    “I had the idea while in the bath,” said the 82-year-old inventor, Sir Torquil Norman, speaking to Sun Motors (picture below). “This could be the stupidest thing I’ve ever done, or it could change the world.”

It could change the world [​IMG]
    The Ox is a multi-purpose truck that can carry 13 people, 1,900kg of cargo and even double up as an ambulance. The aim is noble, to change the lives of millions of people in developing countries.

To save on delivery costs, it arrives in a flatpack. It takes three people under 12 hours to assemble it with a toolkit of just 40 spanners. If you can handle an IKEA chest of drawers, you should be able to build a truck.

[​IMG]
    While it looks like a Tonka toy, the simplistic design in ingenious, the work of ex-F1 design guru Prof Gordon Murray. “If people say it’s ‘crude’ I take that as a compliment. It had to be low cost and rugged. Just making it flat pack took nine months.

“It’s like a kid’s Transformers toy.. It’s the vehicle I’m most proud of. And my career is littered with revolutionary stuff.”

The Ox is packed with great design features. Like the centralised steering wheel, so it works in countries that drive on the left and right.

[​IMG]
    Or the plywood panels that can be assembled with just one allen key. Drivers can add engine fluids from the cabin.

[​IMG]
    The tailgate comes off to form a ramp for heavy cargo. And the rear seats double up as sand ladders in case your vehicle gets stuck.

“It’s the lowest cost off-road vehicle in the world,” said Murray.

It has influential backers, like car-mad Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason: “This is great. It’s the closest thing to the Ford Model T - it could change society.”

[​IMG]
    By providing low-cost mobility, the Ox aims to tackle poverty and ill health in the developing world. It’s able to carry twice the load of similar vehicles, and it’s the length of a Skoda Yeti.

[​IMG]
    It can drive through 75 cm depth of water and has a very wide track to ensure excellent stability on badly rutted roads. It could be air dropped into a disaster zone and assembled on site. “The world cannot afford to make a mess of this,” said Barry Coleman from Riders for Health.

To date the Global Vehicle Trust has invested £3.4m to design and build three prototypes. Next, they want investment from a large car manufacturer to realise their dream of spreading the Ox throughout the world.

So what next for the octogenarian visionary inventor, Sir Norman. What can follow creating the Ox? “Ha,” he joked. I’ll be pushing up daisies next.”

[​IMG]
    Key facts: The Ox
    Price: ??

Engine: 2.2 diesel manual

Top speed: Around 70mph

Turning Circle: 11.9m

Length:4.6 metres

Payload: 1900kg

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Now, THAT is WAY COOL.... Wonder what the expected Retail Price is? Diesel Engine, GREAT... Hope it is FWD....

Aeason and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Agreed Bruce, I would love to have one depending on cost. It has a lot of possibilities.

Aeason and Sgt Nambu like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

All I could get on the drive train:
    "The unlikely result is a two-wheel drive, off-road vehicle that I'm assured does do well off-road. Murray explains that four-wheel drive would take up too much space and add too much weight. It's the construction of the Ox that really signals quite how far removed this is from a jeep or an army truck, though"​

Since the engine is located under the driver it could be either front or rear drive. Front would seem to be the most inexpensive to manufacture.

Assembly after it's delivered - sounds like most of it's done with one allen wrench
    [​IMG]

More info:
    Can this flat-pack truck save the world?
    Ox: The flat-pack off-road truck which could revolutionize African transport
    Gordon Murray's Latest Vehicle Is a Flat-Pack Kit Truck for Africa

Aeason, chelloveck, Yard Dart and 4 others like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

6. BTPost

Dang, NOT FWD..... well that leaves out any kind of Cold Wx Alaska Operations... Way to easy to get mired down, without FWD... Would be GREAT for Sand and Mud, but NOT Snow and Ice... Still very intriguing...

Aeason, hank2222, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

That thing's just, really, cool!
    I don't want one, I'll take my V-8 4X4, Dodge Dakota four door PU! But some little farmer, or a small village in the third world boonies could bring up the standard of living significantly! Bravo!!! :D

Aeason and chelloveck like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It looks like it would tip forward. The cab, engine driver and gas cans are all in front. Plus the front wheels are really back, it looks unbalanced. It is really cool and could haul a lot but but not sure about rugged driving.

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Doesn't look like it will see the US market. No airbags, shoulder harness, antilock brakes, GPS locator, TIMS (tire inflation monitor, and no cruise or a/c!
    Sounds like my Samurai (except for the a/c bit);)

Aeason, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Not front crash test, or roll over safe! Don't even think about it Amerikan. Your freedoms do not extend that far.

11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

No emissions testing, no emissions controls, no way to restrict to No lead gas only - and on and on.

Neat - but I doubt it will even sell in India -- They all want a Toyota Hi Lux - just like me!

Aeason and chelloveck like this.
  12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

It's an innovative package from design to execution. But let's see how the prototypes hold up in real third world conditions.

Aeason, chelloveck and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. BTPost

It couldn't be licensed as a "On Road Vehicle" in the USA.... but could be registered as an ATV, similar to a Yamaha Rhino, or other brand of Side by Side.... Just like those Asian 4X4 small Trucks....

Aeason, AD1, chelloveck and 1 other person like this.
  14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I would certainly like one for simpler times, like post SHTF. Diesel is much easier to store for long term than many other fuels as well.

Aeason, 3M-TA3 and chelloveck like this.
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The ability to manufacture your own biodiesel might also be an attractive attribute for keeping your post apocalyptic tribulation buggy going....once the stored fuel is used up. Start planting coconut trees now! Coconut Oil as Biofuel - Engineers Without Borders Australia

upload_2016-9-8_12-27-2.

Biodiesel, can also be reclaimed from used cooking oil, with a little bit of reprocessing.

Aeason, GOG, 3M-TA3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Propane?

17. chelloveck

Yes, and your solution for the problem of TETWAWKI is so affordable for the average Joe: In comparison, the flat-pack Ox would be utterly unaffordable....An MRAP vehicle on someone's fantasy wish list, offers no greater protection than an actual OX may afford its occupants. :LOL: Let us know when you have road tested the RG-31 that you have purchased, how the ballistic protection stacks up. I think we would all be fascinated to find out. :rolleyes:

Edit: The following extract from a defence related website will give you a fair idea of the price tag for one of these beauties. il Drumpfe may be able to splash out on one....he probably needs it: The average prepper...not so much.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  18. chelloveck

Apparently the body is made of plywood panels.....which means that instead of a panel beater, a carpenter is going to be your go to bodywork repairman.

The vehicle wasn't intended for manufacture and sale in the USA. Africa is the target market, so compliance with regulatory bodies is likely to be much less of an issue.

Like 3M, I'm impressed by the design concept....I am sure that there are ATV's that would cost more than an OX...especially the ATVs with pintle mounted .50 caliber gats. ;)

19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Might be legal as a farm use vehicle... just not road drivable...

chelloveck likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Even tho' not 4wd, it might be frontwd. I could put one to use up here on the hill. In winter, maybe not so much. All the same, has anyone uncovered a price? I have the feeling that it'll be prohibitive unless subsidized by the gov't in the target markets, but ---

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7