The Ox - Low Cost Rugged Flat Pack Truck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3M-TA3, Sep 7, 2016.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Front wheel drive:
    Can this flat-pack truck save the world?

"The OX has been designed with rough, rutted, washboarded gravel roads in mind. It has only front-drive, for simplicity, ground clearance and lightness. But supple suspension and helpful weight distribution give it immense traction, as Top Gear found on a test track normally reserved for 4x4s."

You can see the right half-shaft in the red circle below running from the wheel to the transaxle. It makes sense to have the entire powertrain in a single module like this.
    upload_2016-9-8_14-11-40.

Perhaps one might be headed to @BTPost 's AO after all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
    Aeason and chelloveck like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm sure that the OX will be a hit with arsonists: the body panels being made of plywood 'n' all. [reddevil] And the ability to construct an OX in the principal's office will be a boon to high school pranksters! :ROFLMAO:

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I picked up one of these a year ago, cost $500 USD Daihatsu Hijet 4x4
    [​IMG]

4. chelloveck

Nice find. There are quite a few interesting variants of this vehicle.

upload_2016-9-9_10-55-57.

upload_2016-9-9_10-56-30.

There's even one for Bruce and the other Alaskans. :D

upload_2016-9-9_10-57-12.

and for the dedicated hunter who doesn't like climbing trees for their hunting stand......

upload_2016-9-9_11-1-42.

I don't think the OX competes with some of these very specialized vehicles. ;)

Aeason and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm officially jealous

Aeason, Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

Beware 3M, jealousy can lead to covetousness, which is one of the big 10 commandments....don't go endangering your immortal soul. ;)

Aeason, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You can find these all over the states, Many were imported and used by State and Fed agencies for site maint, or security patrol as well as port security and such! This thing is so small and compact, and yet perfect for yard duty and such, it's the same size as a John Deere Gater but has better performance AND a cab heater for year round use! Not much power, but that can be fixed 'Merican RedNeck style, I put in a 1.3L Ford Festiva engine and 4 speed transaxle and tripled the power. Not street legal, but just put a triangle on the back and that's it! BTW, It takes the same 4 lug bolt pattern Wheels that a lot of ATV's have, making wheels and tires a simple deal!

Aeason, chelloveck and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

So far I'm not feeling compulsion to vote Hillary...

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I found a place that specializes in them about a mile from my house, though the going rate starts a $4k USD. Intriguing.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I could get interested in one of those Daihatsu things. There were a slew of them in use in SEA when I was there, and they seemed to take a horrendous amount of abuse. A quick google didn't turn anything up on the first page of sites, will be doing a bit more looking.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Aeason, chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Many of those are 4X4 versions, and I can attest top them being GREAT, for the Backwoods or Farm..... Some are even Diesel Powered.....

Ura-Ki, Aeason and chelloveck like this.
  12. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Perhaps an unintended consequence of this thread is how it highlights how utterly over-regulated and stupid the centrally-controlled US and US economy is. Another example of how freedom and liberty are trashed in the name of "safety".

Ura-Ki and Aeason like this.
  13. chelloveck

I never doubted that 3M.

I never suggested that you coveted her @$$ either. ;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  14. chelloveck

Another thing I like about the design concept is that Ox flat-pack trucks would be invaluable in disaster relief work in remote 3rd world locations. The kits could be parachuted into a relief distribution drop zone, and the Oxen could be assembled onsite and be used to collect and distribute supplies and equipment around the drop zone and to nearby communities. The Oxen could also be used as extempore ambulances, transporting casualties to field medical facilities. No airstrips required. With minimal modification, an Ox, could be used as a water tanker for distributing potable water.

Ura-Ki and Aeason like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7