The perils of hauling Diesel in the bed of a truck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Sep 10, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have a recently added 70 gallon cylinder of Diesel in my Ride. Been waiting for the proper manpower to unload it. Sometimes it rolls around even though I have fogging chain around the Radial base.

So I'm on my way to the range this morning with the 1919. Need to test it out after the repair. I'm on the phone with phishi, I take a curve a little fast, here a slam... I see the tank on the other side of the bed, no problem, I do a quick swerve the other way, It rolls back.

Crap, my tripod. I pull over to the side of the road, Bluetooth headset in my ear, Sidearm on my belt, and run to my bed, Leg of tripod snapped in half.

Oh well, I can weld a sleeve arounf the tube and be good to go. Just was dissapointing as I have been waiting for theis Range Test for 2 weeks now.

Oh, guy in a BMW pulls over as I'm shutting my tailgate. He sees a very military looking piece of hardware in the truck, My side arm, Big tank that could be ANFO... and a wierd earpiece clipped to my ear. I gave him my best "Move Along" gesture and made a U-turn to head home.

I'll try it agin this week... ;)

2. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

If it's a cylinder, build a cradle out of 2x6s, two with the arc cut, and two solid sides. Sure you don't want to get an armored car to haul that around for you.

3. melbo

Yeah, The day I filled it, local stations were running out of fuel. It's a 'side tank' of a semi and I went to grab it to filler er up. Realized that it had 9 different threaded holes in it for fuel lines/crossovers etc. Scrambled to find plugs and Fuel Rated teflon tape. In my haste, I failed to build a crade for the bed of my truck...

Have a nice one built at the house, just have to find a way to get it out of the truck and into the cradle.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

With all the toys around, I'm amazed you don't have an A-frame hoist. But anyway,you might try prying up one end and sliding a wood cradle under one end only, and brace the other against the sides until you can off load. I have had the fun of chains allowing things to roll, most inconvenient.

Sorry to hear of the busted tripod.

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wont it roll? Make the cradle just shorter than the tailgate and roll it off and into the cradle, or if the cradle is slightly taller and you can stand the tank on end like a barrel (assumeing the cap wont leak) then you can trip it to roll on the edge so it can be rolled to the edge of the tailgate then rocked onto the cradle.
    I guess Im just used to working with that kind of deal as we often do our water in 60 gallon barrels in the winter and Im the only one around that moves them. Haul them from the water tower in the truck then since they are plastic barrels I can roll them to the edge, rotate them so the middle is on the edge and let in tilt and drop to the ground then use a dolly to bring them up a ramp and into the house and put them against the cradle we have with a rounded corner so you put the cradles lip under the edge of the barrel then trip it and it pulls over and ends up about 18" off the floor, and we go through about 3 of those a week. So to me unloading 60 gallon containers that are full is just another day.
    ...now wheres that heman smiley?
    Sorry to hear about the tripod. That was what for a croni or what?

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That sucks you broke the tripod, but you shouldn't have any trouble welding it up. You don't have a cherry picker or engine hoist or anything that you can borrow to help unload it? You could build an "A" frame and add a winch to make a permanent "loading/unloading" station. I would tend to think that you are going to want to add to your storage. Even though you are moving, you could take it with you for help with loading and unloading.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...641&R=641&cm_ven=TL&cm_pla=DF&cm_ite=material

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

lol hope it goes better the second time around

8. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If you just get it out of the truck and onto the cradle you already have, problem solved. Get a buddy to help you get it unloaded.

9. melbo

Finished, we started to muscle it and then we smartened up...
    10 minute chore

Vintage Miwaukee 2 ton Chain hoist to the rescue
    I didn't design nor build the over-engineered Cradle...
    dsc02911_139. dsc02909_171. dsc02904_170. dsc02902_451.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We knew you would finger it out -- :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7