The Pickens Plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Do you think Wind Energy is a waste of time, wont do enough?
    Open your mind to this:

http://www.pickensplan.com/

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Personally, I am sold on SOLAR!
    Not necessarily for cars mind you, BUT I doubt that the corn/ethanol fiasco, is any great help now either! I like hydrogen, but they are NOT really doing all that could be done to get us there.
    It's a draw at times....
    Wind energy should be use in conjunction with solar to power ALL of our electrical needs.
    Having worked inside of the "Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station", I don't have anything good to say about nuclear power.
    Maybe it was just the MORON's in charge that bothered me, and the fact that they kept trying to COVER-UP their screw-ups!
    Some of those people should be prosecuted for "reckless endangerment" of the country!
    Bill

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I am a big supporter of wind and solar for electrical generation. The more of that type of proven technology we develop the better off we will be.
    It will take a strain off of the natural gas demand. The majority of power plants are run on natural gas. That will free up more NG to be used to power public transport and personal vehicles to a degree.

A factor not mentioned often is the growing demand for, and resultant spike in price, of NG. That will be the next "crises". It is just not readily apparent now because people don't see it daily like they do oil and gasoline prices. But the effect of it's rising prices will affect us all just as much as the rising cost of oil.

I just read the "Plan" in the link. I think it is a good step. The developement of wind and solar should be a top priority. The use of NG powered vehicles is a good stop-gap measure but not a long term solution. The demand on NG is heavy now and will be even greater if we were to switch the majority of our transportation to it.
    I can see the vast majority of public tranportation being converted to NG. I think that should be a priority. But the problem with switching private vehicles to it are enormous. The infrastructure just isn't there and would take years and billions of dollars to establish. Think of revamping every single gasoline station in the country to dispense some other product. It would be a gargantuan undertaking. I could see perhaps doing something in the metropolitan areas. Where there are a lot of people concentrated in an area. But to travel across the country in any kind of alternative fueled vehicle would be impossible.

I have been looking to purchase a propane fueled vehicle for sometime. I will be doing so very soon. The availability in my area is good due to the large number of people who live in rural areas and use LP to heat thier homes. Many of the farmers in this area use LP fueled trucks. But, I wouldn't want to try and drive cross country with it.

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am also a big supporter of wind & solar energy.

What about burning garbage instead of piling it up in a landfill? The plant my dad worked in for 30 yrs converted from coal burning to refuse burning in the late 80's or early 90's.

5. Jonas Parker

Jonas Parker Hooligan

If only we could harness the hot air coming out of congress...

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I'm thinking maybe a methane digester(for the piles of bs!)???[gasmask]

7. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Heard him this morning o CNN. Wind and solar is good, I'd add thermal also. We better do it before we have to buy it.

8. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

I say screw death valley and set up thermal towers out their.... I think thats a middle of the road answer also setup the new windmills from GE and we can power this country on these proven power sources yeah it will cost money but hell IRAQ is costing us more.... and we wont need their crude and still be able to run the entire country... Only problem is the politicians need to find a way to tax it before they can make it work...
    [gone]

9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

We dont want GE's and we want Wind Turbines that produce Electrcity .
    Not Wind Mills that pump water :lol:

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gimme the juice, I care not one whit how I get it. Go Nukes!!

11. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

hahahah windmills I was typing to fast lol but you know what i mean...[taser1]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7