Gear Review The Primal Gear Unlimited Compact Folding Survival Bow

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Originally I posted this in the US made products thread in 2013. I believe it deserves its own thread.
    Survival Gear DEALS: Made in the USA Only | Page 4

INFORMATION:

The patent pending CFSB-1 folding bow, also known as the go primal bow, can be converted from Right hand to left hand, arrow speeds averaging 181 feet per second. This traditional bow is a long bow, but it is anything but traditional. The riser for the Compact takedown Folding Survival Bow is milled from T-6 6061 aircraft grade aluminum with a built in arrow shelf, and the limbs are made from fiberglass developed specifically for bow limbs. The limbs can be removed to convert bow from right to left hand, replace limbs, or interchange with different draw weight limbs.

The folding bow design, with its aluminum riser and fiberglass bow limbs is built to survive the apocalypse, put food on the table, and defend you when you need a silent and powerful self defense weapon, and it is a must have for a prepper who wants to maximize their space.

SPECS:

47 lbs draw at 26 inches, 52 lbs at 27 and 55 lbs at 28 inches.

It is 23 inches long x 1.5 x 1.5 inches when closed and opened is a total 59" in length.

23" aircraft grade T6 6061 aluminum riser with limb locking bolts, 18" limbs, Endless loop Dacron string, owners manual.

Weighing in at 2.25 lbs., it is lightweight and can be carried in or strapped to just about any pack or bug out bag.

My own use consists of target practice and making my own modifications (adding a quiver) and fine tuning the use I foresee with this bow. It is light, easy to deploy and very strong, so it automatically becomes an exceptional piece of kit. The quiver I made for this bow consists of two parts: the top and bottom brace. Of course, these two parts are interchangeable and can be switched depending on preference. I made them out of leather and kydex and they form fit to the bow, remain stable and will last a very long time. I can use broadheads or field points with ease. See photos below...

DSC00350.JPG DSC00353.JPG DSC00359.JPG DSC00355.JPG

Another key feature I added is a marking on the top limb so I can easily affix my string the correct way every time. This is because I have a knocking point on my string and I like for it to remain constant. I keep my string and a backup string in zipped bags along the face of the bow, and cinch down everything with some velcro straps.

DSC00348.JPG

I keep my broadheads in an Altoids tin, and I use 100 gr. broadheads and field tips with a 1" cutting diameter on the broadheads, which fly well for this 55 lb. draw weight.

DSC00349.JPG

Order a bow here: The Folding Bow-the perfect survival bow.

2. Brokor

Bear in mind I am shooting this bow with heavier arrows than I finally went with, and field tips I wouldn't use with this bow, but my shooting isn't terrible since I managed to hit the target. My arm was getting beaten by this thing. It's pretty quiet, I don't see the need for string silencers at all, not when my arm can act like a cushion, haha. Yes, I am a bit better with this bow now, but not by much. I will admit, I have long been better with firearms. Still, in a pinch, I can get this to work.

We will see if the video I attached works or not...

Attached Files:

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Roll your elbow out and away from the string. You will not even need an arm guard. It will not throw off your aim, it just requires practice. Done correctly, your shoulder and wrist do not move.

4. Brokor

Thanks @kellory for the tip --I have been holding with my elbow out more often and it was uncomfortable at first, but I got a bit more accustomed to holding this way. No pain. It's been well over 30 years since I used a long bow and my Cub Scout days are a long, distant memory.

The reason for this recent post: It looks like we have ourselves yet another compact folding survival bow on the market, too. Just like the Primal bow I reviewed above, this one is also made from 6061 aluminum. It's a little different in size, just shorter but stockier and can hold your take down arrows inside and it comes with a carry bag which doubles as a quiver. The only catch is, it's a little more expensive and hasn't had the testing and reviews the Primal bow has had over the years.

Fall Sale - SAS Tactical Survival Bow - Excluding Take-Down Arrows - Now Only $179.95 - Was $199.95
    S.A.S. Tactical Survival Bow
    Technical Information:

• Bow type - Modern Longbow
    • Draw weight - 50, 55 or 65 pounds at 28 inch draw
    • Maximum draw length - 31 inches
    • Bow Length - 60 inches (strung), 21 (inches folded/stored)
    • Brace Height - 7 inches
    • Arrows speed - Up to 210 ft/s for 55 pound version and up to 220 ft/s for 65 pound version
    • String compatibility - B50 Dacron
    • Backpack/storage bag - New look Woodland Style Camo carry case with adjustable straps and fully closing storage compartment for string and other accessories.
    • Strung bow weight - 1kg (2.2 pounds)
    Web_8_medium.
    S.A.S. Tactical Survival Bow

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Want to bet that riser gets real cold in 40 degree weather? Have to remember your gloves. [winkthumb]

Brokor likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

A small diameter PVC tube (glued at bottom and top, sliced at the 4/5 point and sleeved, would make a good hard case for arrows, and double as a waist quiver with a little cordage.
    I'd like to see a side by side comparison of these two bow, focusing on accuracy, durability, and Murphy's law.

Rocky Road Lerp likes this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Very interesting idea. I like PVC for a carry case for my arrows, but I like to carry them in an arrow bag when actually in use. None of that noisy rattle, and not having to worry about losing them when walking rocks. You can stuff the pvc down in the arrow bag, and use it like one of those MOLLE Shotgun Scabbards that were popular a few years back to attach it to you pack. My way of looking at it anyway.

Not to fanboy, but I spent a lot of time watching that review before I made it onto the forum. I might finally get me one for Christmas this year. I'm tired of trying to find a compact solution for my "truck gun".

Brokor, kellory and Rocky Road Lerp like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Ive got an antique glass bow among my collection that halves in the center at the aluminum grip.
    Due to it's age I'm hesitant to use the bow but the concept is acceptable .
    Being spoiled by compounds ,I'd rather work out a break down with that profile in mind .
    I can do it . it's taking the time ,among all the other things I've got going on.
    Any good bow should be considered part of ones strategy for survival .
    thanks for the video .

1. Gator 45/70
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Prepsteader13
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Thunder5Ranch
  11. Dunerunner