The Ramblings of an Old Warrior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Nov 1, 2005.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

For the record UGRev, I wasn't offended or angry by your post but rather, I saw it as another opportunity to discuss what I believe in my heart is a very important issue for both women and men. I also hope I didn't offend you - that was never my intent in any of my responses.

As society has evolved, and will continue to evolve, we are constantly challenged with our perceptions of what is acceptable. Being fairly old, I constantly struggle with some of the changes that have occurred. It's the old dog, new trick scenario. I expect my granddaughters to behave as ladies and my grandson to behave like a gentleman - by my definition of ladies and gentlemen. I'm uncomfortable when I hear otherwise beautiful young girls and boys drop the "F" bomb during conversation. I don't apologize for not adapting to today's norms of behavior and speech.

My opinion is that we all have different talents and abilities. We are not all equal in all abilities but many of the inequalities have nothing to do with gender - although some do. I am a strong woman, both physically and mentally, but I am not a foolish woman. I know that if I were engaged in a physical confrontation with most men, I would be the physical loser but I could probably outsmart him.

If the gender thread from yesterday and the resurrection of this thread from the past opens the topic for conversation and gives anyone a nudge for questioning their preconceived ideas, the threads have great value and I thank you for opening the door once again so that some light could shine through.

2. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

Offend me? surely you jest :) If there's one thing I've learned from conversion with people on this forum and other "forums"..it's that I must constantly test my paradigms. I get comfy in thought.. and that's a problem for me. I need to re-think as nothing is static.

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

For the record, it starts with a T and ends with a racy. :D I was your "watcher", not having enough time at the moment to post my thoughts and finding that you'd ended your information quest when I had the available time.

I found it to be an interesting thread. I love thought-provokers!

Thanks for revisiting this thread RH! After all these years, I find myself still admiring your strength, tenacity and courage. [beer]

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thank you Tracy. We have indeed had a journey of many years together on this forum and our mutual admiration for one another has grown stronger through the years. I know that you are as pleased as I that the number of women joining SM has grown considerably but we are SurvivalMonkey pioneers and proud of it.

5. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Just goes to show, how written text can be misinterpreted by others. How does a person respond to another's posting w/o somebody not feeling like they were offended is beyond me. Same goes for the opposite; how does a person respond w/o others thinking they are being offended. It is double edged sword that can be challenge to overcome at times. When somebody figures this out, let me know.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

I would have to say this about my wife when she was alive and she was one that could go out in the wood's with full camo on and go hunting or she could be dressed to the nine's and take my breath away as she walked into the room ..

She had own business and made very good money for the family and the standard joke in the family was she let me play army for a liveing because it kept me from beening out under foot all the time with her ..

Alot of people used to fine my wife a little cold or mean on the surface intill they got to know her because of something she once told a another women when we where leaveing for another tour down south in South America and the women was breaking down and balling like a little baby ..

She told the lady this ..You married a soldier and a soldier wife you are and the last thing he need to see is you face crying is out as he leaveing to go someplace where he could die ..So dry those tears and make a happy face for that could be the last time he see your face and his memory of you breaking down and crying ..If you have to cry wait intill you get home and do in the bedroom then you pick yourself up and face the world for you a soldier wife and a soldier wife can do anything in this world if we set our mind to it ..

She also told the lady's to dress up in your best dress and heel's and do your make up & hair when seeing your husband's off and give him a picture that you that he can mentaly carrie around with him when he leave's not some picture of you in hair curler's and flip flops and some old t-shirt and jeans when he leaveing ..

The CO XO CSM and few of the older wive's who had been in the military system for a while loved my wife and her way of saying the truth to the newer wife's there in the unit ..My wife nickname inside the unit was that the Irish lady and no it was not the word because of the way she would tell people the saight up truth and time's we have talked about her way of just saying instead of temping it a bit before it come's out

Motomom34, Capt. Tyree and RightHand like this.
  7. RightHand

What a great story Hank. I'm an Army brat myself and your wife sounds a great deal like my mother who was the strongest, most independent woman I have every know but also the woman dancing in the kitchen in the arms of my dad, both of them laughing as if they had not a trouble in the world. I'm certain you miss her tremendously - heck, after your story, I miss her and we never had a chance to meet.

hank2222 likes this.
  8. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

She made about 8 time's my monthly take home from the army in the 80s time frame and she would tell the other wive's in the group it nice that he has a hobby like the army for he would allway's be under foot if he was allway's in the house ..

The Co Xo And CSM along with a few other wive's in the unit got the joke for they formed the backbone of the group know as the iron b---- of the unit for they where the one's that no one messed with in the unit and when they called about something that need to be fixed in houseing it got done because the next time they spoke it would be in person and they would not have liked the way the talk was going to go after that ..Plus she had a wicked sense of humor at time's about playing trick's on other people about something's

As part of beening a MP in the Army i had to work a few stange details.. I once had to work vice a couple of time's and it was funny for she once got a phone call from someone wife who saw me out in our car driveing along the strip where lady's of the night hanged out and she knew that i was going out to work that night on that detail with the city cops before hand and i was one of the bait john's for the police and sheriff women to pick up and ride around for few min's then be droped back off on the strip for another person to pick up ..

So she goes and tell's the lady that i know he out there on the strip and i give him some money to spend on them because i have my monthly curse of Eve and i do not want him to go without something..The lady drop the phone then picked up and put it back into the handset and my loveing wife was laughing the whole time about it ..

When i came home she had left a note on the door to wake her up so she could tell me something but when i got home it was allready morning and she had a few member's of the IB club over for coffee for it had spead like wildfire through our unit and they where laughing allready about the whole thing and they asked me if i had got luckly last night and how was she in the area's with me standing there red face as heck and them laughing about the whole time..

She did get up and get me a soda and sandwich from the fridge and told me in Irish i love you as i walked out of the kitchen with my tail between my legs and went into the front room to eat my sandwich before going to bed and trying to sleep for i had to go out tonight on the same detail with he local cops around the base and when i got up there was a gift from the CSM wife anna and it was a box of condom's with the gift card saying use this type next time there bud ..Her husband got the same gift also for he was also on the detail with me and we did get it good from the other wive's for about a month after the detail ..

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Shock! Horror! Right Hand is a feminist?.....Well not really shock, nor any horror at all. Old warriors of both genders are needed in the survival game....The Grim Reaper is gender neutral, and is an equal opportunity snuffer out of lives, regardless of one's ideological differences concerning gender politics...Best that both genders haul together for the common good.

My point of view is that both genders have much to offer...strengths that are complementary and essential for survival. Gender roles aught not be limited by traditional religious and cultural dogmas, what counts is demonstrated competencies and capabilities. Those that have them should be given opportunities to make best use of them. I have no problems wearing a skirt....um.... kilt if necessary and doing so is no disability for doing many things ; )

A well argued essay, Right Hand...and the sisters here are also spot on too.

Cheers from Chello

hank2222 and RightHand like this.
  10. RightHand

And cheers to you as well Chello

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yup. ;)

tacmotusn likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7