The Right To Bear Arms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enloopious, Mar 14, 2018.

1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Some of the patriots of the militia were armed with better than military grade rifles, pistols,and edged weapons. Cannons were also in private hands prior to the war and used. Henry Knox took it on himself to arm the Continental army with arty which included both private and captured pieces. I'm a believer in the 2nd as written and intended. I have the GOD given right to defend the life, liberty, and property of me and mine with whatever tools I have(or can afford) against ALL enemies. I don't need an aircraft carrier or F-15(you priced fuel lately?) but they and my rifles with or without the rock and roll switch and pistols of any type should be MY decision and not a goob clerk swayed by the hysterical ranting of some planted spoiled brat (suck it Hogg). It looks to this old man that we're somewhere around 1770-1773 again and this time around it ain't 'ol king George I'm worried about.

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I read in South Carolina, one can own a tank.

But the point of most of your argument is moot. Almost no one can afford such weapons, assuming they could find some one to sell them. I hear the "tactical nuke" thing a lot....ok...fine....exactly WHERE would someone buy one ?

You can legally own without restriction a hank crank or electric Gatlin gun right now...it's non NFA .....know anybody that does ?

(I do....retired machinist that built his.....but you may get my point)

[​IMG]

3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

As soon as the new mill and lathe arrive and are set up I will be building a pair of them. 1st one will be scaled down to fire .22lr then I will build the full size version. I have always wanted one ever since I saw my 1st one as a boy.

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I do not mind the system of requiring a federal background check and taxation on NFA firearms but other than that, they are NOT restricted and in fact, you too can own your very own Abrams tank in your choice of colors complete with mini-guns and cannon. If war were to break out in our nation, you can rest assured that we'd be inundated with foreign interest provided weapons just like we send all our friends at every opportunity, do you think those RPGs grow on trees? The feds have already centralized the arsenals in the State national guards so there is little there to take but the Post Office has them, the Game Wardens, the IRS, the FBI, the BATFE, the National Park Service, the DEA, ICE, FMS, USCG, every mom and pop PD in America, so machine guns are around. Pretty much, the only people that don't have them readily available are regular citizens.

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@TnAndy "Almost no one can afford such weapons, assuming they could find some one to sell them."
    That is exactly my point. If the 2nd amendment was taken exactly how it was written then ALL weapons, to include tactical nukes, would be available over the counter for those of age to purchase them, no controls just cash on the counter. Weapons manufacturers would go nose-to-nose in competition to lower costs as would 'economy of scale.' Who would purchase them? Loads of groups and organizations, a lot of bad ones that I have already named. I'd would definitely purchase a couple of M249 SAWs and M203s for the ARs if I didn't have to go wade through all the admin nonsense. Many individuals could not afford them, that is true. The same they cannot afford a Porsche; however, many can and costs would come down. Nevertheless, if they are available, people would purchase them and then they are on the streets but it is not the individuals that pose the greatest danger but unsavory groups, organizations and even countries.

I understand our point that the 2nd was made to allow us to protect ourselves from a government that turns tyrannical; however, I am questioning the impact this could have on society, not just here, but the world in general. I think it is a slippery slope and we really should take the time and thought to consider what we are asking for. Please don't get me wrong, I fully support the 2nd but I just don't know if it is a good idea to allow groups like MS-13 to order up military grade weaponry like they would a Big Mac.

"You can legally own without restriction a hand crank or electric Gatlin gun right now...it's non NFA .....know anybody that does?"
    No, but I don't know many folks that are skilled machinists that could build such a gun either. I couldn't. And, while it is a wonderful novelty piece it cannot fill the same requirements as a M240 for transport, maintenance, size, etc...so why would I want it? We're talking apples vs. oranges...

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I am a firm believer that it covers all types of armament, past, present and future-can't wait to be the first on my block to have that plasma rifle in 40 watt range..
    To the folks that say," Do you really want gangs having RPG's or M16's?" I say they already do. Not so much in this country but drive a bit further south and see what happens with Mexico's gun control laws. All of this could be solved with ONE firearm law.
    If a person is found guilty of using a firearm during the commission of a crime they are themselves shot the next morning following the guilty verdict. They would be allowed ONE appeal if deemed appropriate to start the following day and not to exceed 30 days. If the original verdict is upheld then they are to be shot the following sunrise.
    That would put an end to "gun crime" most riki tik and allow me and others our full pursuit of happiness.

I beg to differ Sir.
    It is an insanely amount of fun. There are only a couple of things that bring a bigger smile to my face or give me greater joy than firing one of my selective fire or belt fed weapons.

techsar, Motomom34, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  7. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

"Gun Violence" does not mean what you think it does. Those numbers include every gun related incident including suicide, accidents, etc. The issue is a school shooting in FLA. Why does that mean people lose rights in MASS? This type of "problem, reaction, solution" is how you steal peoples freedom.

They have reduced gun deaths by 40% in Mass. Where do those numbers come from? Does that include police shootings? Does it include murder, accidents, suicide? And if so shouldn't those counteract the others? This is base propaganda.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

So slowly but surely we are getting to the crux of the matter of weapon ownership. Economics. When it comes to the matter of owning a weapon equivalent to what the gov't has, you need to start thinking about some of the practical aspects. So you have an M60 main battle tank, how long do you think that would last when a Warthog shows up? Do you have an F15 that can down the A10 without a problem?

So, being the practical sort, I want something that will not (necessarily) make me "equal" to dot gov, but equal or better than the bad guy that just happens to have acquired an RPG. I DO want to be able, legally, to match firepower with anyone that wants to do me harm, and no matter what the conspiracy theorists may say, that is NOT dot gov. Dot gov likes my money entirely too well to kill off the goose that bestows benjamins on it. 2A does it for me, NFA does not.

Face it. Neither you nor I are in any way, shape or form, equipped to own a tactical nuke. Maybe, in a dream, one might scheme up a small army that could handle such a destructive device, but neither you nor I can afford to support a mercenary army that could be trusted.

One might also, as some snowflakes seem to do, dream of a completely unarmed government and population, with harmony and peace for all. Take another toke, kids, and keep playing "The Age of Aquarius" in the background.

9. enloopious

Aha! Here we go. The argument is that bad people will get the good weapons. This is the critical pivot that everyone misses. There are always going to be bad people. Can you outlaw being bad? Does it work? How many criminals follow the laws? There are criminals in Congress. The ratio is much higher than amongst the people. List of American federal politicians convicted of crimes - Wikipedia
    So if all of the people making the laws are the ones breaking them then what does that tell us? It tells us that we are headed for a police state where the criminals are in charge. How much fun does that sound like?

It all boils down to this: anyone who wants to legislate something away from you does not have your best interest in mind. That's it. The problem is that they need you to agree. Hence the public debate. These people are your enemy. Know your enemy.

magicfingers, Byte, techsar and 4 others like this.
  10. enloopious

The reason no one can afford those weapons is because our country has been infiltrated and our money has been stripped from us. Before 1913 we were on a direct path to being the wealthiest people in the world. The average American would have been more wealthy than any king, sultan, or potentate had the banks not stepped in.

Motomom34, Bandit99, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  11. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

[​IMG]

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, enloopious and 2 others like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I heard he was pretty handy with catapults as well!

13. enloopious

This issue was a lot clearer 200 years ago. The only thing that has changed since that time are the clouds blocking our vision. It was ridiculous to think that the government would have more weapons than the people at that time because the people had the money, there were no corporations, and the govt was the only real threat to the people. We had a clear view of our past and there was no way they could have, at that time, persuaded people to give away their god given rights. To do that it would take years of brain washing and propaganda.

What's so bad about people having nukes? I mean really, these things fix themselves. Sure they may kill someone. They may kill 17 kids, but what is the alternative? Giving away your freedom seems a much worse tragedy to me. Let us not forget that every mass genocide in history has started with gun registration and every gun registration has started with some bleeding heart BS propaganda. All arms for all the people.

ghrit, techsar, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  14. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Belt fed is one thing you can argue selective fire but full auto is a waste. Fun is one thing rounds on target is something else

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We did throw some cats until it was made illegal---

I did not say, that there was anything particularly wrong. I said it wasn't something anyone less wealthy than (say) Soros could afford to support. If can, do. Just don't be telling me I can't, let my wallet do the talking.

16. enloopious

I think I want a war here/now.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

God gave you the right to defend yourself against tyranny. We once had a government intended to protect your right. Now not so much.
    I'm sorry but I don't share your confidence in a good outcome. Whether right wins or not, it's not going to be a pretty thing. Other avenues may not be fun and easy, but they do still exist.

oldawg, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Why should we have? Always a good question. I think the option should be open to any and all to decide for them selves what they want based on what they can afford! It would be an awefull lot of fun to be a rich man, able to afford any thing I wanted, but the realities are most are mere novelties, and if the teak ever came to use them, they wouldn' last very long, or I wouldn' last long enough to use them! Sure, an M-2 with a couple of belts is an awesome weapon, but how do you transport it? How do you care for and maintain it? How do you continue to read it while using it in anger? How many friends do you have available to assist, while not doing other things they could be doing to help the cause? Sure, in the right place at the right time, that would be awesome to have handy, but not very practical. Have you priced one lately? Same thing with other weapons, and while potential enemies may today not have better weapons then you or I, I'm counting on my superior skills and training to allow me to TAKE from you any thing Jay have need of! That's what it all really comes down to! In all these years since the assault weapons ban of 1934, we have had how many crimea commuted with NFA weapons? Seriously, even with the gangs, MS-13, terrorists, ect... how many crimes involving the use of an NFA? One? So, why do we have restrictions, TAXES!!!

Tully Mars likes this.
  19. enloopious

LOL, I never said I thought we would have a good outcome. Just tired of the BS.

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and ghrit like this.
  20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Selective fire weapons do have practical applications, nothing like them to put your face down in the dirt and keep it there instead of shooting back while the sharp-shooters maneuver to pick you off. Five or six rapidly fired rounds will shatter their way right through otherwise "bullet-proof" glass", and multiple rounds striking around you and banging by you will do wonders for focusing your attention on just staying alive. If forced to engage in a fire-fight, I might be more effective with my well placed and spaced shots, maybe not, but a few hundred rounds of distraction going down-range can't hurt. I always heard you shouldn't swim after eating, that was BS too. If automatic weapons were not advantageous in a conflict, no government would waste the money on ammunition for them. Next thing, someone will be saying hand-grenades are useless but by golly, they can let you know quick what's behind door number two.

1. fl4848
  2. BTPost
  3. BTPost
  4. toolbelt99
  5. Dunerunner
  6. OldDude49
  7. oldman11
  8. Ura-Ki
  9. Big Ron
  10. OldDude49
  11. OldDude49
  12. Motomom34