The s*** has truly hit the fan, what do you carry.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Jan 20, 2006.

1. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Watch out all or my spud gun will get you b::
    spud gun2.

2. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

No really, I love my 30-30 lever action I've had since I was 13, it reliable and a good caliber for the area I'm in and plan on bugging out to. I'll also have the M-11 for personal defense.
    I'll let the kids carry the .22's

3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Spud "gun"? More like spud "howitzer". Christ, what kinda range you get with that monster?

4. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

that was just a picture I found on the Internet, mine is not that big, I only get yard coverage with mine

but I like to dream big

5. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

But lets not forget people - all this talk of guns and the types; a bit of PVC pipe, some hair spray, or for that matter propane or other flammable material and you have yourself a weapon

6. ex3313

ex3313 Monkey+++

A large enough spud gun can be very lethal when I worked nights for a maintance dept things got boring and we made a spud cannon heavy wall pipe and actylene as fuel our ammo was welding rods saboted with bubble wrap a full blast of that thing was deafening and would send a rod clear thru a concrete block wall.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Monkey+++

I wonder if you used rebar and sharpened the point of it on that thing, if it would be able to go through a light skinned APC?

8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I would carry my Springfield Scout, a few boxes of .22s and a couple of .410.
    I usually wear a .45 side-arm and always have a least two good functional knives and one is concealed. This is all easy to carry in a small backpack or even strapped to your back under your shirt. This would allow options for close-quarter defense and pot-shooting a pigeon for dinner. I do not envision the need for long-range defensive capabilities while fleeing for my life. If it ain't close enough to touch me, I'll leave it alone. I might carry my Woodsman Colt instead of the Scout. I am more concerned about dinner than I am about MZBs.

9. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

Here is the deal!
    Load your Powered Parachute with your 50BMG and a pocket bike, two man raft, 3rd gen NVS and now your ready for some fun! It beats a 4x4 wheelchair :)
    The truth is that the bastards will wait till we're too old to resist their takeover. Before I die I will find the best shooters that love god and country to give my toys to.
    Still need to organize a shooting competition to identify the best shooters in the hood.

The Bill Of Rights<I><FONT face="Monotype Corsiva">ffice:eek:ffice" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]

Article I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Article IIA well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Article III No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Article IV The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Article V No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Article VI In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Article VII In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Article VIII Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Article IX The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Article X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

10. griffin1340

griffin1340 Monkey+++

Hmm! Tough one![winkthumb]
    Depends on the situation... If I'm doing a short range recon around the home. Probibly carry the Ar15 and my Glock23, mix of FMJ & HP's.
    Longer range recon/foraging I'd tote the M1A and the S&W 357 ,mix up the hunting ammo and AP/FMJ.
    Vehicle mounted, another tough one...I don't have anything with a folding stock...[winkthumb]Might just have to get one!

11. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I only have four, AR, .308,12 ga, and .45 h/g, and my knives, and a sling shot. Gas mask, colliodal silver and potassium nitrate. The ammo alone will be heavy. I will be targeting blue helmets. [winkthumb]

12. I'll take my M4A3 and 1911. In the ruck will be a .22 conversion for the 1911. Mags loaded with M193. 7 mags for the M4 and 4 mags for the 1911.

13. Republiman

Republiman Monkey+++

I'll be going with a M1A and a .45 Kimber PDC for close and quick.

14. andrew414

andrew414 Howdy.

1. Stamped 7.62 AK wire folder pre-clearanced to eat mud, sand, ice, etc. A side folder fits inside the backpack to appear less threatening, even if the barrel sticks out a few inches... zip-tie a grocery bag and a black sock on it.
    2,000 rounds and no failures

2. Tightened up Colt M1991 cocked and locked holstered drop-leg as an everyday PDW. If shtf, people will quickly get used to seeing a tactical carry. 1911 ready holster mounted on the bike.
    one feed failure in 1,500 rounds. Threw this non-colt mag out.

3. Stock 5.5" 22lr Buckmark in the pack for food. Never failed on std. 22. Nose-dived once in 500rds of SSS.

ammo
    150x pack 7.62 std rus. military in 5 polymer mags. One in weapon and 4 on upside-down clips. 500 more and a 75rd drum on the bike.
    100x pack FMJ .45 feeds right every time 6 mags + ziploc. 1000 more on the bike.
    100x pack Aquila SSS .22 is good stuff. one mag + ziploc
    500x pack bulk 22lr carton. 3000 on the bike.

Bug out bike (idealized, without hike pack, and in non-shtf trim)

[​IMG]

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

would think so sabot with a potato...
    potato guns are truly amazing things..surprised some do good legislater hasn't blown a kidney
    over em...[peep][sawgunner]

16. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Looking back at this thread in a different light, I can see where there would be a lot of times when carrying rifles might not be the right thing to do. During a lot of times of extreme duress, such as Katrina more than likely we will not have the chance to carry a rifle or shotgun openly, even for protection. Police/Military checkpoints, hostility from locals, and other issues could put a big target on your back next to that long arm. Warmer climates may also mean that covering up a rifle with a folding stock, or a SBR would not be possible. During Katrina, LE went house to house, and even boat to boat and any weapons they observed were confiscated. I tend to think more along the lines of outbreaks of bird flu, weather disasters, and economic pitfalls such as those suffered by the former Soviet Union and Argentina. In a gas shortage, or EMP strike, it could be possible that you are on your feet walking more than not. Concealment has to be considered strongly. Even during Katrina, if you are out of your house and were walking around with an AK or AR on your back you are a big target. Whether it is some gang banger or LE official looking to take your firearm, or some Gov. contracted hit-man looking at you through his sights, I want to be incognito to all of them.

Thinking about this thread again, in the above described situations I would carry just as I do now. Concealed XD .45, with two extra mags (well maybe three or four), and my Keltec P-32 in my front pocket.

17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Roadblocks and checkpoints will be standard protocol. Evading these is crucial to survival.

I will have my AK, as many mags as possible, (heven't worked out exactly how much ammo to take yet.) and one pistol, most likely a Glock 9x19. The importance of carrying a .22 rifle is dependent upon the individual needs of each, and I choose to always have one. A nice folding stock for the .22 makes it pack easy, too. I don't know about most, but I always carry a Tomahawk as part of my general B.O. Kit, and I also strap a tanto and a machete to the pack as well. I keep my AK at the ready at all times, or else I may as well just leave it at the door on my way out since the rifle is your first line of defense...it should always be ready to fire.

I keep my pack under 60 lbs. at all times, even with my assault vest and immediate load on my rigger's belt I am not pushing it.

I plan on bugging in at my cabin, but it is good to prepare.

18. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

My Typical smartass response: (Hope I didn't step on any toes
    in that "other" thread...)I agree with E.L.I think the handgun
    is pretty important (why I went looking over 1911's today.)

[​IMG]

19. Sgt. Art

Sgt. Art Monkey+++

With the exception of complete society break down where there is no law enforcement/military presence carrying a longarm openly will probably be a problem in most areas. Concealed hanguns will when well concealed not draw any unwanted attention to you espically if your not all tacted out.

If I had to bail my choices would be based on how I had to travel, vehicle or foot/bicycle. By vehicle I'd go with an AR, G 19 and .22 pistol. Having just turned 50 and bugging out with my wife and daughter by foot/bicycle I'd probably go with a .22 mag rifle, G 19 and .22 pistol. Just my .02

20. CuriousPony

CuriousPony Monkey++

I'd cary my Marlin 30-30 lever gun, and my ruger GP-100 .357. The only shotgun I own at the moment is an old stevens SxS, So I'd like to leave it behind and cary another rifle, my marlin 982 in 22lr. I can cary 1000 rounds of .22lr and never really notice it. try that with 30-30 *ouch*

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7