The Simple Simian’s Guide to Motorola i355 DirecTalk Configuration

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by 3M-TA3, Jun 1, 2016.

1. swen

swen Monkey

Outstanding OP.

Just picked up two brand new I355's (never used) still in box and the OP was super easy following along. The first one took me a couple of tries since I had to get used to the phone, but I would say that with the easy to follow directions both phones were talking to each other in less than 10 mins.

I also picked up a box of antennas and chargers from the guy. Now I just have to figure something out and modify something for use as an external antenna. Not a single on was for the I355, lol. If anybody needs a magnetic antenna for a 15 year old cell phone (ie: nokia) I got them covered, lol.

I also bought 5 sim cards for 7.50 from another EBAY vendor that I haven't received yet and it turns out I didn't need them since both had a brand new SIM already in the package. Oh well, at least now I have some if I get more IDEN phones.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. swen

swen Monkey

Does the GPS work with these things without service, mine don't seem to be getting a fix? In a youtube video some guy was saying how they would actually share positions with each other, that would be cool if they did.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They are slow to lock up... Turn it on, and leave it outside for a while... I have never seen any inter-unit Sharing of Position data, but that is just my experience...

swen likes this.
  4. swen

swen Monkey

As has been mentioned by BTPost, Sprint's(and other's) Direct Connect is basically a cell phone connection, not to be confused with Motorola's Off network Direct talk which is basically a radio.

So an 80 mile (or across country for that matter) connection is understandable for DirectConnect, if both parties have a cell phone connection.

I have heard of some couples using the Direct Talk feature when inside the same big box store (ie: CostCo, Walmart, etc.) when cellphone service was actually sporadic.

What I like about the Motorola Direct Talk Feature is the fact that it is a fairly secure (at least compared to GMRS and VHF Marine) that works when you are out of cell phone coverage. My main reason for buying these are that it provides me with reasonable secure comms between 2 boats (within 2 miles at least on open water) when off shore fishing. The odds of a weekend warrior fishing boat being able to intercept the conversation is slim to none and slim is on vacation, lol.

If 'User Not Avaliable' appears it's not a big deal since both boats still have VHF marine radios.

Now my next part of this project is getting external antennas rigged up that can be put on a mast on each boat, which will really increase my range.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. swen

swen Monkey

Finally got them to lock on. Had to have them standing upright out on the hood of the truck parked in the middle of the yard. I think the confusion about shared position is that they do have the ability to share but it is software driven and appears to use a internet connection. Not on my plans at this time. Never plan to activate these things at all.

My next endeavor is setting up some kind of packet radio setup. I am currently searching (already have links saved and programs downloaded) and reading. Seems easy enough if i output the sound file via sound card/audio port , just need a PTT setup on each Phone. Not on the front burner right now, just something that would be cool to do in the future. Seeing that these are off plain voice frequencies I don't think it is subject to FCC regulations the same way something like data packets on GMRS/FRS/MURS would be and really wouldn't be an issue.

Like I say, it's just an idea. Am I reinventing the wheel (although the learning curve is good training) and are there quick/easy programs/cable diagrams already a click away? I might just post this project on one of my Radio Forums someday.

Bear in mind that my application is eventually going to be operational on the open water so I'm not concerned about the whole 'get your HAM license' mantra that you usually get with these kinds of posts. This will be a closed system, LOS only, setup by fishing captains that will never get their HAM license.

Disclaimer: Not a HAM, although I have been into Comms throughout my Navy Career and Life in general. I take the practice tests online every year just to make sure I could pass at anytime, lol, but I prefer to stay out of that clique.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just another tool in the box. It's only a clique if you aren't in it, and just because you have the ticket does NOT mean you have to use it. The downside is that if someone knows your name, they can easily find you.

3M-TA3 and Yard Dart like this.
  7. swen

swen Monkey

The biggest thing to bear in mind is that most of my applications involve the cooperation of fellow fishing captains, most of whom refused to get their VHF Marine Radio license when it was mandatory back in the day. So the get your HAM license mantra is irrelevant, when I would be the only one in the group with it, and actually might make me liable in the long run. In fact, I usually get tasked with these projects because I am the Comm guru (based on my time in the Navy as a Electronic Technician and one billet as a Comms/Radio Tech) and even though I don't have my license I bridge the gap well.

As an add-on note to eventually going data packet transmission. Yes, it would probably be easier to set up a wi-fi with extender but I don't think my distance will be sufficient (has to be omni-directional (or a tracking directional antenna with gyro input, lol, not economically feasible)) and not as much fun researching and setting up.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you were a Tech Licensed Ham, you could use the DirecTalk with External Antennas, AND external Amplifiers that do NOT exceed 10 Watts PEP.... As it is, you are NOT allowed to attach an External Antenna to these SECURE Phones, as this would violate their Part 15 Type Acceptance. Also understand that Hams use the 902-928Mhz ISM Band as a Secondary Licensed Service, Where YOU, as an unLicensed Part 15 User, have NO protection, and must vacate operations, if requested by a Licensed User. This means if any Ham saw you using your External Antenna, they could file an Official Complaint, with the local FCC Field Office, and they would issue you a "Cease & Desist Order" as well as A "Notice of Violation" ..... that requires Written Responce, within 30 Days... Just so you are aware.....

3M-TA3 likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. JA40
  4. ED GEiN
  5. Southbound
  6. bumpshadow
  7. hitchcock4
  8. DKR
  9. Bandit99
  10. Garand69
  11. Bandit99