The Ultimate Hog Hunting Rifle Setup

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

6.5 Grendel...

article explains why SHE picked this caliber etc...

Written by Brooklee Grant, Member of Pulsar’s Pro Staff

When you’re out and about chasing down feral hogs, your success, or failure, might just boil down to how well you’re equipped for the challenge—which is why your choice in rifle, optic, and accessories are so important. When considering what to set up to use, you want to take into account opinions from people who get out there and run the equipment and truly put it to the test. As someone who hunts feral hogs several times a week year-round, take it from me, I put my equipment to the test. I’ve killed hogs with everything from a .22 Long Rifle to 7mm Ultra Mag, and several calibers in between. However, I’m pretty fired up about my Larue Tactical 6.5 Grendel. Here’s why it’s become my go-to rifle for hog hunting.

Best Gun for Hog Hunting
    For starters, I chose a rifle from a respected company celebrated worldwide for producing superior, hyper-accurate rifle systems—the dead center of precisionLaRue Tactical. The fact that Larue is a company based out of the Lone Star State might have come into play as well…okay, it made a substantial impact. I take pride in supporting Texas businesses. After much deliberation with my husband, the rifle I cherry-picked is a Larue Tactical 6.5 Grendel in Flat Dark Earth (FDE), which is a modified version of the Larue Stealth 2.0 chassis.

I take pride in supporting Texas businesses After much deliberation with my husband, the rifle I cherry-picked is a Larue Tactical 6.5 Grendel in Flat Dark Earth (FDE,) which is a modified version of the Larue Stealth 2.0 chassis.

upload_2018-7-26_8-3-28.
    The ultimate hog hunting setup—a Larue Tactical 6.5 Grendel in FDE.
    The rifle ships nestled in foam in an FDE hard-sided plastic case. I was immediately in awe of the first-rate craftsmanship and exceptional feel and finish of the rifle. The eye-catching appearance of the FDE furniture and perfectly matching Cerakote literally brought a smile to my face. The slim-profiled rifle has a solid overall feel, the build is tight and you can tell someone put some serious effort into assembling this gun. The ultra-precision 18-inch barrel is medium weight with a 1:8-inch twist and is SAAMU-chambered in 6.5 Grendel. The handguard comes in at 13-inches long, bringing tough and functional to the table. Larue also took a step in the right direction by including their own TranQuilo muzzle brake, which fits their TranQuilo suppressors. Larue also included an MBT-2S two-stage trigger with a short and crisp second stage.

The Ultimate Hog Hunting Rifle Setup | Pulsar News, Events, and Articles

GOG, Asia-Off-Grid, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That brass catcher is the very berries for us olde phartes. No more bending over to police the brassy grass.

GOG, Oddcaliber, Brokor and 4 others like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Damn fine one, too, but it's - yikes - $140 to $220 depending on model. Sure is a sweet one, but I'm sticking to my less expensive Caldwell for now.

Tully Mars, Alf60, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  4. ghrit

Oops. Thot that price was for the upper, I did NOT grasp it was the catcher which is no longer on the wish list. My Caldwell works, sometimes, but needs a supplemental tie-wrap to keep it in place. I run it with the zipper open, drops the brass on a pile on the bench or ground.

Now to find one that fits an AK. That puppy REALLY slings MTs, I've found them 60 feet away if I run it with the dust cover off. (That is actually preferable to running with the cover on, at least they are in a pile, more or less. Cover on and you haven't the least clue where the MTs go unless you have a grand around to watch and chase.).

Brokor, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have a friend building one, He has yet to bring it to the range for a shake down
    Hopefully it will run without any hiccups

HK_User likes this.
  6. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

It's always nice to see what the upper crust present as a hunting need such as the $5000 night scope.
    Now to sell off the herd so I can afford to purchase the setup to kill off the Hogs.

Brokor and Tully Mars like this.
  8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

You can build one fairly in expensively... other than the optics and suppressor and apparently the brass catcher...

I have built one that is extremely accurate out to 500 yards ( longest range I have access to...)

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Yup pretty much a paid advertisement for cool gun shit.
    I've no doubt it's a great weapon system. But for $8,600.00 it better either either shoot much larger bullets or at least have that third position on the safety. I have about the same cost in my Barrett M82-a bit less actually.
    Not sure how they do it in Texas but I've killed a shit ton of hogs with a Rem 870 and slugs and a Home built AR in 7.62x39mm.

DKR, Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I'll just stick to the C-.308 with armor piercing incendiary rounds.

BECAUSE.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  11. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Many a hog has been put in the freezer with the 30/30 lever, chasing them through the dense Texas brush.

I must have been doing it wrong.

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Today's hogs require exotic rifles and ammunition. Didn't you get the memo?

13. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I did...I just prefer low-tech redneck.

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I would't buy anything in any kind of super pricey 6.8 or 6.5 round.
    The most advanced I would go would be 7.62x51 with direct gas impingement.
    A lever action 30-30 that shoots about 4 moa or a little less would be sufficient.

15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Many decades ago the '06 was my carry gun for brush hunting here in Texas. Hard on deer and hogs even in the 125gr. loadings. Went to a '70 model 94 trapper and was blissfully happy for so many years. Light and compact with fast handling in thick brush. As age and rotten shoulder joints begin to show up I started looking into the AR platform in 5.56 and after a few thousand rounds it is my go to rifle these days. As an A1 clone It's a bit longer and heavier loaded than my 94 but not noticeably so.It's the reduction in recoil that this old man appreciates. Of course we don't have the grizzly bear problem here some of you other guys have. It puts both hogs and deer down as well as coyote if the shooter does his job. My '06 and thutty- thutty still get plenty of fondling and love but the AR is usually grabbed first these days.

Gator 45/70, GrayGhost and HK_User like this.
  16. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

.45-70 is the best caliber for anything in North America. Punch’s a hole thru and thru leaves a very good blood trail. And the recoil is just a hard push not a sharp jolt,does not hurt these old 75 year old bones as much as the other guns.

Alf60 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

At 100 yards the 45 Long Colt is a decent game getter, especially in a modern Marlin with RUGER level reloads.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Witch Doctor 01

6.5 Grendel built with an AK bolt with a spare AK upper allows you to shoot 7.65X39 and 6.5... The Grendel seems to be more accurate at range... but what the heck either round in a pinch....

YMMV

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. ghrit

I do NOT detect a lot of difference in what makes the bacon, as long as the bacon is made.

20. Witch Doctor 01

Depends on the recipe....

Gator 45/70 and GrayGhost like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. HK_User
  6. 3M-TA3
  7. Motomom34
  8. Dunerunner