The Unconquerable Dave

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by melbo, Jan 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

This is an incredible story and one I shared with @Quigley_Sharps when he was starting Primal:
    September of 2009…
    ToJesse_20.

March 19, 2010…

HI MARK
    JUST GOT YOUR BLUEPRINT AND AM AWAITING THE COOK BOOK. WHICH I INTEND TO TRY TO ADD TOO!
    AFTER 25 YEARS OF RAISING A FAMILY AND NOT DOING THE “GROK” ANY MORE IT SHOWED BIG TIME….
    TALK ABOUT “THE LIVING DEAD”…
    I’M A SUPER COOK AND BAKER AND JUST ABOUT SLAYED US ALL….LOL
    IT’S BEEN ABOUT 3-4 MONTHS OF EATING AND THINKING MORE PALEO… IF I CAN’T KILL IT- FIND IT-OR GATHER IT… I DON’T EAT IT…. SO IT’S REAL EASY TO EAT WELL. JUST THINK ABOUT GROK AND WHAT YOU’RE ACTUALLY LOOKING AT. SIMPLE!… AND THE WIFE AND KIDS STILL AROUND ARE IMPRESSED WITH MY NEW ATTITUDE AND LOOK.
    HAVE LOST AT LEAST 20 POUNDS OFF A HEAVY BONED HUGE BEAR FRAME…
    6′-1″ AND HEADED FOR THE LOWER 200′S. I HAVE 18 “ARMS AND THICK CHEST AND THE ABDOMEN AND CORE ARE COMING RIGHT ALONG…!!!
    LEGS ARE FEELING STRONG AGAIN. ASS IS TIGHTENING UP AND I’M INTO A 38 JEAN.
    YOUR BODY TELLS YOU WHAT IT WANTS, AND IT WANTS REAL AND STRONG AND ABLE.
    WHICH = SMART!!… HEAD AND BODY ARE TUNING IN WELL…
    TIME TO BUY NEW CLOTHES…ALMOST!

LATER BROTHER
    STAY IN THE LIGHT
    GROK RULES!
    DAVE PARSONS

Picture3.

April 22nd…

40 LBS LIGHTER IN 6 MONTHS…no problem and lovin’ it!
    53 Y.O.

6’1″-240LBS AS OF 4-20-10
    AND STILL SHEDDING THE EXTRAS….36 JEANS…AIMING FOR 34′S.
    and a solid 220 of all muscle!!!!

YOU are ONe…of MY Two INspirations!!!!

Thanks Mark…
    and if you don’t get enough hugs brother…
    davegrok sends hug to Mark!!!

Illumination……..so much fun to re-learn again….still…always….
    Grok on

DaveinGrokShirt.

July 18th…

HI FOLKS-
    OCTOBER 1ST 2009 TO JULY 10TH 2010.
    FROM 280 LBS DOWN TO 210 LBS.
    JUST FROM THE PALEO DIET AND MILD EXERCISE.
    ROCKIN’ THE HOUSE!!!!!!
    ALL LEAN MUSCLE MASS AND NEVER LOOKIN’ BACK….THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INSPIRATION-GUIDANCE-AND ONGOING WAY OF LIFE.
    DAVE

Picture1-1.

September 9th…

IT HAS BEEN AN EXCITING AND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT YEAR NOW.
    I HAVE GOTTEN IN WAY BETTER HEALTH. LOST 80 POUNDS. CAN RUN AND CLIMB AGAIN. AND AM GOING ON 54 YEARS OLD. LIFE HAS THROWN THE CURVE BALLS. THE UPS. THE DOWNS. ALL THE WORK AND LIFE RELATED “FOR BETTER- OR FOR WORSE” ISSUES…YOU GET IT. BUT THE DAILY APPLE AND THE PRIMAL LIFE GOES ON…EVERYDAY. IN ALL THE CONFUSION…IT REMAINS A SOLID PLATFORM TO WORK WITH AND ON. I READ THE APPLE….EAT THE APPLE AND EVERYDAY YOU JUST MAKE IT OKAY TO BE WHO I AM…AND BE A MEMBER OF THE PRIMAL LIFE CLAN….
    NO MATTER WHAT COMES ALONG…
    I KNOW SOMEONE OUT THERE IS MY FRIEND AND WE THINK ABOUT THE SAME STUFF.
    THANKS MARK
    THANKS BEES
    THANKS TO MARK’S WIFE FOR BEING ABLE TO HANDLE THIS!
    YOU HAVE NO IDEA …….OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME.
    I SALUTE YOU ALL
    DAVE

December 10th…

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND ALL THE CREW!!
    Santa got a lot thinner!…hohohohoho!
    Dave

100_8760.

January 3rd…

primal work outs…. your approach (WAY BETTER) and actually more of a primal way than a gym gorilla. I have my Paleo gym of trees and rocks and stuff….

check it out…54 in a month and 6 ft and 205 lbs.
    a 404 lb dead lift…kickButt!!!!
    Thanks Mark

100_8690.

January 26th…

DEAR MARK AND ALL THE PRIMAL PEOPLE OUT THERE,
    I’M NOT GOOD WITH SPEECHES SO I FIGURE IF A PIC IS WORTH A 1000 WORDS.
    I WILL BE 54 THIS FEB. 8TH.
    TALK ABOUT PRIMAL. THAT’S ABOUT 300…DOWN TO 200…RIGHT THERE TODAY JANUARY 19TH…AND THERE AIN’T MUCH LEFT TO LOSE…..SIZE 44 TO SIZE 34.
    I REMEMBER THIS….I WAS THIS SIZE WHEN I WAS 18 YEARS OLD….I THINK I MAY BE STRONGER NOW!
    GROK ON AND THANK YOU FOR THE ILLUMINATION!
    DAVE PARSONS

100_9137.

Read more: The Unconquerable Dave | Mark's Daily Apple

Go get the books and join us!

I recommend:
    The Primal Blueprint (the paperback version is updated and expanded)
    The Primal Blueprint Cookbook
    The Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals

25offbooks_forpbcom576.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

A truly inspirational story!!!!

3. melbo

Follow up from Dave:

HELLO MARK …DAVEMAN CHECKIN IN…

WANTED TO DROP A NOTE TO YOU AND ALL THE PRIMAL / PALEO CLAN OUT THERE. ITS BEEN A FEW MONTHS AND WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW HOW I AM DOING. THE BIG STORY IS THE FOOD… IT WORKS!! I NOW KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY EXERCISE IDEAS TOOK ON A CHALLENGE ALL THEIR OWN THIS YEAR..And it seems the FOOD foundation held up GREAT!

SOME FOLKS ARE ALWAYS INTERESTED IN THE 30 DAY CHALLENGE.. WHICH I ALWAYS SUPPORT WHOLEHEARTEDLY.. ITS CALLED A CHALLENGE FOR A REASON..ITS NOT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS FOR MANY..BUT I AM ONE WHO WILL BE THERE TO TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THE REWARDS FOR ACCOMPLISHING IT…AND MORE..HERES MY TAKE ON THE LAST 120 PLUS DAYS OF A CHALLENGE THAT I DID NOT SEE COMING>>>

THIS PAST JANUARY I HAD A SERIOUS PRIMAL ENCOUNTER WITH A LARGE MALE DEER( I did dispatch said Deer and eat it) THAT REQUIRED SOME SERIOUS SURGERY. This was shortly after that pic of me in the flip-flops in the snow. ..This LED TO MY CURTAILING OF SERIOUS EXERCISE AND OTHER HEAVY LIFTING THINGS..I WAS VERY CONCERNED ABOUT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO ALL THAT DETERMINED EFFORT I HAD JUST PUT INTO MY LIFE BY HAVING TO SPEND MONTHS LETTING MY BODY HEAL UP..I HAD BOTH RIGHT AND LEFT SIDE ABDOMINAL WALLS TORN UP AND SPENT 4 HOURS IN SURGERY GETTING MYSELF REBUILT AND RESEWN BACK TOGETHER…ROBOTIC SURGERY IS A WONDER OF MODERN MEDICAL SCIENCE…BUT I WAS PUT ON THE INACTIVE ROSTER FOR MONTHS AS FAR AS WHAT I COULD AND COULD NOT DO….ALL I CAN SAY IS IT DOES INTERRUPT ONES “PLAYING” WITH BIG TOYS….NOT FUN….OUCH!

I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT EXERCISE IS ONE THING..BUT I HAVE LEARNED THAT THE FOUNDATION IS THE FOOD…YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A FANATIC AND DO RADICAL EXERCISE ROUTINES OR GO TO A GYM FOR ELITE FITNESS OR ANYTHING AT ALL FOR THAT MATTER…JUST GET UP AND MOVE AND DO THINGS THAT REQUIRE A LITTLE MORE THAN USUAL EFFORT….AND IT WORKS!!…I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY REVERSAL AT ALL!!…I CAN ONLY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO GET WITH THE FOODS… THE PROPER FOOD INTAKE WILL KEEP YOU SOLID AND FREE FROM WORRY ABOUT WHETHER YOUR GOING TO “ENLARGE” AGAIN…LOL… I CANT SIT STILL..I LOVE TO MOVE AND WALK AND CLIMB TREES AND DO THE STUFF I DID AS A CHILD AGAIN…I PLAY LIKE A KID SET FREE OUTDOORS AGAIN ..AFTER BEING LOCKED UP IN A HUGE NON FUNCTIONING BODY FOR YEARS…THIS IS GREAT!!!…So I encourage any and all activity that you can do..especially walking around anywhere..Its what people used to do all the time,walking around is a foundation stone in the rebuilding of yourself.

Heres a 6 pack of pics from the last few months…just to let you see the continuity of body size!

PIC #1 IS MY USUAL SELF HOLDING MY KEG UP…AND THE PICTURE SAYS IT ALL… This pic was taken in February of this year. 1 month after the surgery I was lifting 40-50 lbs carefully. I was so healthy and strong the doctor let me have my own leash and told me to manage myself and not be foolish and hurt myself again(PRIMAL RULE).

Picture1-4.
    So it was my toy to play with. I just motored around and ate GOOD PRIMAL FOOD and watched my intake and output..I was the “test steak”..always testing what was happening to me. I simplified my cooking and cut down on the elaborate fancy dinners. I was concerned about my output of energy that was not up to the usual …Even though ALL OF MY FOODS WERE PRIMAL..I WANTED TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I WENT TO a more SIMPLE,FRESH,NON-ELABORATE MEAL…MORE PURE AND NOT SO MANY INGREDIENTS ALL AT ONCE.

I continued to see NO CHANGE in weight but was always wondering about loss of strength. The real test of muscle loss due to a lighter schedule would come later when I was able to Go after the big toys..

I keep very good track of what I eat and Dont eat>>> I found out for sure it’s THE FOOD IN GENERAL (Because I really switched it up a lot as far as complexity and variety went)..NOT ACTUALLY HOW YOU PREPARE IT that is what WORKS!

Pic #2 .After a while I could carefully lay back and lift the log rounds(70-90bs). I had to be careful! The grok in me was on the lookout big time. I had to do something so I was careful and holding the log in and then rolling it up and pressing it was safe and I was in control. Hugging the log felt good, the abdominal support of tucking it in was a great way to actually control what I was doing. It was nice to feel my body heal up and start to be able to do the Daveman thing again.

Picture2-2.
    Pic #3 Is me with a GROK stick I made for an Army Special Forces buddy of mine. I still made nice things while recuperating…THE CARVING KEPT MY CORE SOLID AND MY ARMS AND HANDS STRONG…I dont like to sit..I only sit when I eat or drive..Im actually standing here at the machine writing this..I built a shelf on the wall for the monitor and a riser for the keyboard and mouse.

Picture3-4.
    Pic#4…by May/June I got the release papers and went back to active duty there…That “stick” is over 10 feet long and weighs over 100 pounds..I went straight for the real stuff….BIG>>>THE BIGGER THE BETTER…MY WEIGHT WAS STABLE AND MY MUSCLE MASS WAS STILL INTACT…EVER PIC UP A BIG STICK?? ITS NOT AS EASY AS IT SEEMS..THAT TESTED MY CORE AND ABS WHILE DOING THE BALANCING ACT AND I WAS DOING GREAT..still being watchful but SO GLAD to be able to go out and pick up large awkward items again.

Picture4-2.
    Pic#5….Onward I went..eating the correct foods and and working my way back into the zone of the massive things..I love the big toys! I think I am solid again..thats a 300 lb tractor tire I am walking away with…MY newest TOY to play with..not really a rock or stone..but it does pass as the LARGE HEAVY THING..LOLOL

Picture5-6.
    Pic #6 …this was taken on September 30th of this year. thats the Daveman/PAPA GROK holding a 12″ x 24″ slab of one of our favorite things. You can see that the lifestyle I chose BY FOLLOWING in your footsteps has been very good to me. Injury/recovery/rehab in the PaleoGym… through 120 plus days of change in me and weather and life itself..And there I am. Strong/Healthy/Solid. This IS what the Primal/Paleo way of eating and exercising will do. EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT ACTIVE AND CANT GO FULL OUT WITH THE EXERCISE THE FOODS WILL MAINTAIN YOU PROPERLY. OVER 6 MONTHS AS TEST STEAK FOR ME..FROM NO EXERCISE AT ALL TO PLAYING WITH 300 POUND TIRES..THE LIFESTYLE SUPPORTED ME AND MY BODY AND I DID NOT GAIN OR LOOSE ONE POUND. I AM 6’1″ TALL AND WEIGH 205 POUNDS AND SLIP RIGHT INTO A PAIR OF 32 INCH JEANS…..THIS WAY OF LIFE WORKS!…MY BEST WISHES AND REGARDS TO YOU AND EVERYONE WHO STEPS ONTO THIS PATH…IT IS SUSTAINABLE, IT WORKS, IT IS THE WAY..

Picture6-5.
    P>S> I am Active on Facebook with the Primal/ Paleo movement. Many people have found me due to the success story from your blog. They continue to find me. I am “inspiration” as they call it. They have even given me the nickname of “PAPA GROK”.

I continue to support the efforts and guide as best I can, all who come my way. I have learned from many..and I am walking the center of the path. The variables in human nature and what they like and want to do are vast..So I make sure there is room for them to pass on both sides and support them all in their endeavors. Learning is something I will do forever and this way is a great place to learn..to live..to experiment and find your space that works for you…And it all started with a 30 day challenge 2 years ago….I never looked back.

and I owe you many THANKS MARK..

YOUR GROK BROTHER FOREVER

Daveman…aka PAPA GROK…….YAWP!!!!!!

Read more: The Unconquerable Dave: Still Unconquerable | Mark's Daily Apple

chelloveck, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Papa Grok: your story is one that motivated me to jump in. Since January of this year I’ve been “all in” and am enjoying success that I felt was beyond reach. I have struggled with my weight for the last 30 years but since going primal I’ve been able to trim five inches from my waist and drop down to a pants size that I wore in high school. With more energy and overall better health, I’m excited about the future and looking forward to the continued success brought by Mark and the Primal Blueprint. Thank you for being a role model and thanks to Mark for NOT believing the SAD information that’s forced upon us. Grok on!

melbo, ditch witch and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  5. melbo

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I had my boss go to Mark's Daily Apple and read Dave's story. The boss has been on the Nutrisystem diet for 3 years and is the same weight. Today when he came up and asked where to buy good bread, I responded that he shouldn't be eating bread. I directed him to Primal for the umpteenth time. Maybe this will stick. Dave's story is a true inspiration.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  1. runswithdogs
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Ganado
  4. cschattner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Ganado
  8. DarkLight
  9. Ura-Ki
  10. runswithdogs
  11. runswithdogs