The utility of body Armor in a SHTF scenario.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevin, Oct 13, 2010.

1. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Sure, if you have extra money, get it...I'm just saying it's not on my list of priorities, and I always seem to lack money for important stuff, so...

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Crazy little fantasies about a Mogadishu firefight with bullets whizzing all around and thousands of rounds of ammunition being expended are just that.... fantasies.

If you want to live, stand off rules. Stay in small groups and avoid contact with others. Mobility is survivability. It's the same hard lesson we are relearning in AFG. That's why we get plate carriers now instead of IOTV. Every pound counts.

FM 3-24.2 Tactics in COIN states it well:

3. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I agree...plus the psychological disadvantage of being "invincible"...

4. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

anybody with "psychological disadvantage" of being invincible just because they are wearing BA, needs to be weeded out.. Because they'll prolly have other psychological disadvantages not so readily inherint, yet just a detrimentally un-sound.

Only takes one stray round, or somebody plinking at you as you attempt to relocate.. Not fantasizing about mogadishu, read my previous posts to get a clearer idea of where I am coming from with the BA aspect please. ALTHOUGH, prior to the army arriving and infiltrating New Orleans after Katrina, it was VERY similiar to anything I have seen on television regarding Mogadishu, Darfur, Liberia, etc, etc.

I subscribe to this theory of survival as well, although, there may be times where you will need to interact, pass through, or even (heaven forbid) go into a highly populated area.. To prepare for the unexpected is the best way to survive, to totally discuount any scenario (which most people have a "specific" scenario they are planning for) is to be obtuse.

5. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I submit that the mere existence of body armor throughout history proves it's usefulness.

6. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Lol...you think? ;)

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Indeed, they will be weeded out.

Exactly... only takes one stray round.... to the arm, neck, head, and legs. You can keep the BA and lose some mobility, but BA doesn't mean that you are going to be hit the BA. That psycho babble BS about invincibility will most assuredly get you killed. Having been to my fair share of two-ways, the one lesson I would impart is stay moving and keep up the fire. That's what keeps you alive. Lightening the load will accomplish just that.

BA won't save you butt if you decide to "interact" with unknown individuals. Situational awareness, clarity of thought, speed, and training will. If average Don sees you coming into his town wearing BA and dressed like you just came from Mosul, you will indeed need the BA. I do think the "invincible bug" may have bitten you.

[gun2][patr]

;)

ETA: This same subject comes up from time to time with different variables. Should I invest in body armor, a tactical vest, a gas mask....... the list goes on and on. I'd say it doesn't matter what we think. What does matter is where are you in your preparedness? If you don't have a food stock.... do you really need all the latest military kit? I'd say the same applies towards other things as well- do you have barter items, your own source of water, an area to grow a garden, some small meat bearing animals?

My point is, preparedness and "survivalism" leads to a type of lifestyle that's more independent. We all say it in different ways, but the overall goals are remarkable similar. We are striving to be more independent. The more independent you are, the less you are affected by what goes on in the world. BA seems moot if you don't have food, land, tools, etc.......

JMHO. I'm not picking on you Suerto. It's just a lot of people can get caught up in things that aren't important and overlook the things that really are very important. Those things vary from person to person, but generally there is a top ten that NEARLY everyone can agree on and I doubt BA is on it.

8. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

I got it, my poragative. I was just giving my thought process for having it. And it was readily available, at a good deal..

when SHTF, it won't matter, what will matter is who's left standing to rebuild tomorrow morrow land, then they can check the boxes of what was important to horde for the next apocalypse..

your right though, we all have common items of importance that we can agree upon would be best to acquire, but, experince, locale, and financial ability will dictate reality for accomplishing these goals. We can agree on that, and that's a good start.. ;)

9. stickfigure

stickfigure Monkey+

Arguing about if body armor is useful or not and bringing up, and bringing up the "what if's" makes about as much sense as arguing about motorcycle helmets and seatbelts.

The usual fatalists will say, "If it's my time, it's my time..."

The pessimists are always, "The glass is half empty...what's the point?"

The optamist says "My chances of survival by using protective equipement while engaging in dangerous activities are improved by such and such percent!..."

Body armor is like anything else...it's better than nothing.

Statistics have shown that even wearing a simple helmet improved survival rates of thousands if not hundreds of thousands during WWI and WWII.

Today our troops have amazing stories of survival rates compared to days past because of body armor.

I have several vests and they really weren't that expensive. A couple concealable types all the way up to current Eagles CIRAS and Point Blank Interceptors with level IV stand alone plates.

A friend of mine, from a long time ago asked me a question that I have never forgotten.

"You want to ride a $16,000 Ducati Superbike, and you can't afford to buy a $2000 racing suit and a $600 helmet?" "I think if you are only going to spend $10 on a helmet and be safe...I think you have a $10 head..."

Sure you can't wear something 24/7 but when you know when something is coming and you know that you might need to have some protection, why not have it?

One .45 ACP during SHTF...? You are most likely done...game over.

One .45 ACP to a level IV stand alone, backed by level IIIA kevlar? You will barely even notice...

Youtube video of a US soldier getting shot by a sniper with a 7.62x54r Dragunov...

YouTube - US Soldier got Sniped, gets back up (Full Story)

10. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I tried to make this point earlier. If they were not worth it, then the soldiers don't need them. The rebuttal was that the priority of owning one is low in comparison to standard preps, i.e. you can't eat a lvl IV plate. If you can afford it, I see no reason to not have one.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The utility of this thread is in the exposure of the pros and cons, the pluses and minuses to buying and using or having armor handy. Saying you might make out better in a fire fight is hardly worth the mention, it's obvious.

As with all things prep, it becomes a matter of how prepped one can be, either by storing stuff, getting ready to drive away, barricade the doors or whatever else is affordable. I cannot imagine a case where I'd need it for several reasons, not the least of which is physical inability to carry that much extra weight, no matter what they weigh.

(But I most assuredly do wear a helmet and leathers on the bike, and have experienced that they are skull, jaw and skin savers. The bike gets regular use, armor would not.)

YMMV, of course.

12. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I politely disagree ghrit. It's become an undertone of "you don't need it" preceded by it's obvious utility which doesn't really do much for the discussion.

Suffice it to say that if you have one, and you're in a SHTF situation where bullets are whizzing by, I'd be curious to take a poll as to how many people would want the only plated vest in the room.

13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I think that we are straying off topic... with limiterd resources and the cost of good body armor you should probably get all of your other preps completed before saving for body armor... you will get more use from food and water than armor... would it be good to have? you bet.... would it be on the top of my list.... nope...

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It isn't a matter of need, it's a matter of priority. As I said, the need is obvious. But if I have to make an economic (read as cash flow) choice as to what comes first, beans and bacon or armor, I have opt for the food stuffs until I have "enough" and can work on a second or third level priority. Food and water are certain to be needed. A fire fight might not happen.

Better put than I did, and points directly to Kevin's original question. But I'm not so sure how far off topic we've gone; the desirability and need is established well enough. Seems to me that like all things prep, one has to establish what one thinks has the greatest risk of occurring, and prepare for that first.

Armor, for me, would come before an up-armored ambulance HUMVEE. Just saying (or oversaying ------------[rofllmao])

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7