The voices in my head.

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by chelloveck, Jan 2, 2014.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Or we could rename it.

The voices in my head and the intestinal fortitude in my heart!

YMMV and it's getting cold outside

2. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Sorry if I gave the impression that I felt faith and reason were necessarily mutually exclusive. That wasn't my intent. In some particular situations, they may be; but as part of a life-philosophy, perhaps not. I was just naming off some things which may help to give one some grounding; something to hold onto. Most well adjusted individuals have many things in their lives which give them purpose, and we all need to have faith in something.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I think the thread can stand on its own, as a discussion of potential mental health concerns, as long as we don't get totally side-tracked onto a debate of religious faith; and, as long as we can keep some perspective, I think we can at least mention religious faith as a piece of the puzzle. I, for one, promise to play nice. I'm afraid if the thread is moved to F&R, then it will devolve into another debate on religion.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I agree, we are discussing mental health issues in a survival situation and ones mental state in many cases hinges on a foundation of faith to lean on. Whether that be religious faith or faith in mankind or faith in science. I thought it an interesting aspect of survival, one that doesn't get much airtime in survival conversations. Just as I don't like non believers injecting their views into religious conversations the same is true for injecting religion into secular discussions. That is why I was trying to make the distinction between a faith system and a religion. Not the same thing and the latter a topic for the F&R forum.

Back to the law of 3's. I have always wondered about the 3 months without hope. I really believe that the mindset is a distinct advantage or disadvantage in a dire situation. I remember a story of a couple of college kids who thought it would be a great adventure to hop a freight train. They snuck into a car and the train began to move. Unknown to them it was destined to climb up into the mountains and not stop until reaching the other side. As they rose into the mountains the sun set and the temperature dropped. They were convinced that they were going to freeze to death. The one even scrawled a goodbye message on the wall of the boxcar. He then sat down and died. The other survived. But the thing that sticks out in my mind is that the coroner said that the temperature never got down to freezing and that there was no physical reason that the young man died. He simply gave up and convinced himself that he was going to die, so he did.
    So hope is certainly as important an element to survival as anything else. And whatever source you derive that hope from. Even if it be "voices in your head". As long as those voices are telling you "hold on, you can make it"
    Besides, the voices in my head come up with some darn fine ideas now and then. ;)

tulianr likes this.
  5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I am exposed to those voices frequently during the week IE: "Hey! your talkin to Jeff, Joe has to go into the hospital for surgery. He is getting a new brain"... Best one was when they where getting married and will have 72 children.. Or the ones that are tormented by events from the past, and the only thing that helps is when I describe the grusome manor that I had used in dispaching the one that had tormented him... People have their own demons or angels whispering in their ears.. They can be of benefit or a hinderonce..

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7