Original Work The Walking Dead Preparedness Reviews

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by kdalton, Oct 13, 2015.

1. kdalton

kdalton Monkey+

Good point. But since they have the car, they need to take care of it. That's a hard asset

My reviews of the last two episodes of The Walking Dead are up:

Episode 611: Knots Untie

Episode 612: Not Tomorrow Yet

In these reviews, I address the morality of the situation as well as the importance of being able to barter in a survival situation, as well as provide links to a list of potential barter items to store.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
    Brokor and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

From 612- very good lessons:
    Nice @kdalton

kdalton likes this.
  3. kdalton

kdalton Monkey+

My reviews of the last four episodes are up. Thanks for the patience. I have been busy doing "stuff and thangs" in real life, but I am now up to date. Links to all four reviews are posted below to prevent having to scroll through the blog:

Episode 613: The Same Boat - The Couch Potato Prepper: Preparedness Review of The Walking Dead Episode 613: The Same Boat

Episode 614: Twice As Far - The Couch Potato Prepper: Preparedness Review of The Walking Dead Episode 614: Twice As Far

Episode 615: East - The Couch Potato Prepper: Preparedness Review of The Walking Dead Episode 615: East

Episode 616: Last Day On Earth - The Couch Potato Prepper: Preparedness Review of The Walking Dead Episode 616: Last Day On Earth

Hope you enjoy them!

My quick summary - The Same Boat is a tour de force, but plot contrivances, namely the death of Denise, mar the last three episodes. Negan is playing the long game, while Rick is thinking more tactically.

4. kdalton

kdalton Monkey+

Negan has basically set up a feudal system. He is the lord, and the Saviors are his vassals. The peasants, or other colonies of survivors, work the land and feed the vassals and the lord. His New World Order is really the Old World Order. It's what Europe defaulted to after the fall of Roman civilization.

Like I said in my review, Rick is probably the biggest threat Negan has faced. Team Rick is well-armed, combat-proven, and utterly ruthless when confronted. The Saviors were totally unaware of Alexandria, and were taken by surprise when Rick attacked and wiped out an outpost of 30-40 people, plus hunted and killed the survivors, plus the recon team sent to retrieve the survivors. Add to that their motorcycle recon team was turned into a bloody smear on the pavement, and that even when they killed Denise they lost 4-5 guys and yet another road recon team to Carol, and you can see why Negan is concerned.

So he put his own recon teams out, and I am sure they have seen Alexandrian vehicles driving to Hilltop, so he knows they are working together. They have also done a close recon on Alexandria's perimeter (the Saviors int he truck identified Carol as being from there because the car and knew exactly where it was located). Negan put together this major effort to get Alexandria under his thumb because they are a threat. Right now Negan has numbers and organization, but if Rick can find other settlements being coerced by Negan and get them to work together ... then the game is up for Negan. His own people have to be whispering about the boogeymen from Alexandria. That speech he gave in the final episode was as much for the Saviors as it was for Team Rick.

It's not just about getting Alexandria's stuff. It's about stopping an insurgency before it begins.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have to disagree with Team Rick. I am a fan and I have thought about the last two episodes. Rick has become out of touch IMO, he is not listening to his people. He has had so many successes as a leader that he seems to think he is all bada$$. How many times has he profess, we can take it, no problem, as a team we can take this place. Problem is when one of his key fighters is saying I can't do this anymore, he is not taking them to heart. This is a huge issue. I think this could be an issue that has happened many times in battle. I think the leaders are consumed with leading that they lose the ability to truly assess the mental state of their key people. I don't not know how to define it. Carole has gone off. Her letter was well written, she explained her mental state and I do not believe anyone really thought about what she was saying. It is huge the Carole story-line because it is showing the mental toll, it is showing that even the strongest and most fierce can have a tipping point.

6. kdalton

kdalton Monkey+

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Those are the key points but also, I think it is a result of what I wrote a few months ago.

I think one person my think they can take it and be prepared for whatever is thrown at them but there always seems to be someone out there that has no boundaries. There is always someone out there who values power more then life and will stop at nothing to assume power. Negan got top dog but he is top dog because he is brutal and I wonder if it is respect or fright that gives him his following? Never underestimate your enemy, if you do not know how large your opponent is then step back and assess. Rick's group kept going forward, they walked into that mess.

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Never underestimate the power of "Hes kept me alive so far". How does the old saying go, "better the devil you know"?

Brokor likes this.
  9. kdalton

kdalton Monkey+

My review of Episode 702 is posted:

Preparedness Lessons for Episode 702:

• Is body armor right for you? Does it fit your preparedness plan?
    • Consider how well protected you would be from gunfire in your home. If you need to reinforce an area consider sandbags on the outer walls or fortifying a couple of key rooms to protect your family.
    • Try some gardening, even if it's just one plant in a container.
    The Couch Potato Prepper: Preparedness Review of The Walking Dead Episode 702: The Well

10. kdalton

kdalton Monkey+

Never underestimate your enemy, if you do not know how large your opponent is then step back and assess. Rick's group kept going forward, they walked into that mess.Agreed. Rick committed the sin of assumption. He assumed the initial compound he assaulted was the only one.

Brokor likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I notice that they had lovely gardens and a plant in each tire. I also noticed that they used file cabinets as planters. They had the cabinet up-right with plants in the drawer, which looked cool but is unsafe. That would get tippy having two drawers pulled out with dirt in them. Also growing pomegranates in VA/DC area? Seems like a stretch but maybe they had a green house they didn't show.

IMO last nights episode shows that even during a zombie invasion, people will not change. Those people were happy, blissfully happy with no clue how ugly it was out there. I am not saying that people need to be on guard 24/7 but those people showed no worries. IMO that is a sign of trouble to come.

12. kdalton

kdalton Monkey+

Had the same though about the filing cabinets, but could have been counter weighted in the non open drawers. Put some dirt in those and use them for the spring season. Automatic field rotation!

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I like the way this story arc was written and acted out. We see from going back into the previous season(s), Carol was more of a sociopath than Negan ever could be. We also see Morgan (Lennie James - fantastic actor) with his staff, teaching himself as he struggles with life and death, also teaching others the value of life. Choices are tough, the consequences for being wrong always ends up with you or somebody else dying as a result. Remember Rick making the decision to let Carol live and what it was all about? These scenes, these episodes offered by the writers are often very complex and deep. We've followed Rick from the beginning, with his role in law enforcement, the career he once lived and we, as viewers are expected to appreciate him for being honest and decent. Rick has been through many tests, and he has failed numerous times, and some of those failures had severe consequences. Now we are in the seventh season, and we are just starting to get to know Negan. He might just be a sociopath, but it all depends on where the writers want to take this story. Negan could end up being just a fancy pants, alpha male with a weakness to exploit. He might also end up being something much more.

One overall theme I find important is the type of person (leader) who is expected to represent somebody who will succeed in surviving the "walker" apocalypse. We've seen the types who have failed, and despite their failures we can also learn from the type of scenarios played out. The newest leader in the most recent episode is "Ezekiel", who is depicted as a very intelligent and experienced man, although not initially (to build up suspense). In his candid moment with Carol, he reveals his true temperament, and some of his tactics as well. Looking back, one might ask, "why didn't Rick think of doing something like this?" --it sure would have made his life much easier for a while. I noticed that much of the time, Rick was struggling. He was fighting with other people he ran into, with his own woman, with her lover, with his past, with random bad guys and gangs, and of course the walkers. In other words, the baggage we keep in our lives when life is "good" can also become a terrible burden in a SHTF situation. And, when people struggle to maintain the same morality and set of principles from ordinary living during an apocalyptic event...they may often find white is black and black is green all too often and short circuit. The theme of this show is survival. It's also got plenty of underlying themes, and many of them can really hit home if you think about it enough.

I can only surmise that the writers are looking for a way to illustrate a new way for people to live. We've seen many uses of methods from the past, and thus far each has failed. Granted, writers often tend to write just to get the most dramatic effects and boost ratings with gore, action, and violence --but maybe there's more with this show.

We have seen a little bit of the "real" Rick before. Remember when his son was being attacked on the roadside and nearly molested? In that moment of rage, in the most extreme instant of desperation, Rick didn't embrace his morals. He was caught in the moment, he became death itself. When Rick and his team killed the group belonging to Negan (like professional ninjas) --how do you think that made Negan feel? Out of the blue, a group comes in and murders your own people. Now we are seeing the "justice" Negan has dealt, and the price that was paid. ANd don't forget Morgan and his staff. This was a man who used to "clear" repeatedly. He was an expert killer, at every level. Now he struggles to find balance and can't seem to fully handle life and death in a world gone seemingly mad.

I do not think the terms we use from psychology such as "sociopath" or anything else for that matter, really applies. In this fascinating fictional world created by the writers, humans have become a new breed and are slowly starting to become what they must to survive. It is only in civilized societies we can honestly and fairly assign the mental disorders and stereotypical psychological traits to people. After all, many of these issues can be attributed to the social arrangements we have adopted. With this new world of the Walking Dead coming into full view, the value of life has changed dramatically, and so, too have the survivors.

Reminds me of an old saying, "If everybody around you are losing their heads...then you must be the one...holding the axe."

So, do you think you are the type to lose your cool, or are you more of the type to carry a bladed instrument? ;)

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Never. She gets no joy out of killing. She is not gleeful about it, she shows sadness about it. But she will do anything to protect those she cares about. She does not make a theater production out of killing.

^^^ This. There is a great lesson and much to think about in this statement. How does one come to terms when you step outside of your principles?

Brokor likes this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Take a look at what a sociopath is. They do not feel emotion at the death of somebody.
    They do not identify with emotions like we do. They can pretend, very well, though.

Carol likes to pretend. She's an excellent actor. Ezekiel saw through that.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Never should have let Rick into the group...everything was fine til Rick got there.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7