The Yugo SKS inaccuracy myth ended

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by martin97, Jan 16, 2006.

1. martin97

martin97 Fuel busted Trucker. Founding Member

I read a post earlier about Yugo SKS's being inaccurate and the worst of the SKS rifles. this is laughable! if your yugo doesn't shoot right don't blame the rifle first, spend more time at the range. ammo quality can also be a serious problem, the russian wolf is not top quality stuff and you wont get "tack driving" accuracy with it. if your rifle shoots it well then count yourself lucky! the russian "Brown Bear" is much better stuff, its more accurate and much cleaner.
    This group was shot out the window of my pickup at 100 measured yds with me leaning on my elbows and no sandbags, just like you would shoot at a passing coyote. you can easily cover the group with your hand. I was using the pictured well worn Yugo SKS and Brown bear lead tipped ammo. if this group seems unsatisfactory, sell the SKS and buy a PSS.
    000_0438_127. 100_0109_193.

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm more interested in how that isreali SKS shot!

3. martin97

Ha! I have never put it on paper, its really deadly from the hip at 20 paces though! [camo] I will try it at the range next time it stops raining and post the results. the uzi pictured was assembled by Century arms Int, from an Isreali parts kit and a Group receiver. its not as nice as a Vector, but its really only a cosmetic difference, it has never had a failure of any kind and that means a hell of a lot more than pretty.
    I really wanted to clear up the Yugo sks thing though, I seen them being placed as a second or third class sks, and I know from experience that is completly false, in my opinion, they are the nicest overall sks out there, I have seen all the outhers first hand and they only come close to the Quality of the Yugo's, a few of the russians are pretty nice, but most look like they were made in a fencepost factory, same for the romanian, and chinese, but I have seen and fired really nice examples of all.
    Most importantly, its a 250.00 or less dollar rifle! if you want state of the art accuaracy pull a couple of grand out of your wallet and get the latest high tech thing, but if you want it to work nearly flawlessly in all conditions with no high tech little parts to come flying out when you least expect it, the old sks looks pretty good...
    911bee8bbc204adadb45267e63785e27_193.

4. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hey Martin,

You must be runnin' a "Fat Cat" farm now by the pics in your sig and avatar :lol: I take it you haven't been calling out the door "Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty" :D

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks Conagher, I didn't want to say anything, but I am thinking we need to conduct an intervention on those cats!

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

yugo's do shoot good man.

7. martin97

Hey! the "fat cat" statements are off topic! its Yugo's or die!
    just kidding :) I found the pics on a fat cats website, I thought they were funny, our German shepard has killed or run off most of our cats, he really loves chasing cats! all natural, he started it on his own.
    000_0409_180.

8. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Those SKS's are great guns - anyone who says they're not accurate is full of crap! My Yugo and my Russian SKS are both accurate as hell and I didn't touch the sights. :)

9. martin97

Lets see some sks pics from out there! post'em if you got'em!
    fat_cats_402. 8da86b59ba4f4176d756e840245babac_586. 100_0113_917.

10. ChemicalGal

ChemicalGal Monkey+++

I got a Yugo SKS and it is very accurate. It's a little big for me but my son is crazy about it.

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I supose a lot of it depends on the definition you want to use of 'accurate'. As long as I can do my part then my Chinese SKS will lay a pattern at 50 yards you could easily cover with your hand and for most things you would use it on that would be good enouph to get the job done but I dont really consider it accurate. My idea of accurate is more like my .270 bolt action where if I do my part you can easily cover a 5 shot group at 100 yards with a quarter, so like I say a lot of it depends on what you want to define as 'accurate'.

12. martin97

I look at the firearm and its standard expected accuracy and go from there. a bolt action hunting rifle better shoot at least inch groups at 100 yds for me to consider it accurate, I dont have such high expectations from mass produced military rifles of this type, they were designed for shooting people and pinpoint accuracy is not necessary. so I just use common sense in my evaluations.

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Battle Rifle should go 3"@ 100 meters

14. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice hogs Martin!

15. monkeyman

Yeah, I know they dont go for top accuracy on battle rifles any more (as opposed to say the WWII or WWI bolt battle riffles), but thats why I mention that it depends on what you are calling accurate. I know I complain at times about the accuracy of my semi autos because I am more accustomed to hunting rifles that are capable of out shooting the extreemee majority of shooters, so in comparison the accuracy of the others sucks most of the time. I know for me if its fairly close range, like inside 50 yards, I generaly prefer to go for either brain shots or breaking the neck on deer which only gives you about a 2 inch

16. martin97

I dont see that there can be one accuracy standard for all rifles, would you expect to judge a lever action 30-30 the same as a Remington 40-X? of course not, it has to vary from one firearm type to another, based on its intended purpose.
    Thanks EL, I get to see my fair share of these gems as a dealer. I sold a really rare one with tritium sights by accident a while back, a guy came in and wanted one, so I just grabbed one out of the pile and unwittingly it was the one with the night sights... down the road it went... oh well.. maybe see another someday.. I still have a really nice pair withe consecutive ser#'s for sale for 400.00 I cant imagine what the odds are of them going through all they have been through, and getting to me together! be really cool for husband and wife guns..

17. monkeyman

I basicly have one standard for what is or isnt accurate but do have the scale of how good of accuracy is required for a particular gun depending on its purpose and so on. I havent had the chance to do much shooting with my AK yet to be sure just what its capable of but from what I have seen I doubt I would consider it an especialy accurate gun and yet it would do well I think as a brush gun for deer hunting and such where the shots are going to be up close and likely on a running target where you would have to go for the heart, but really doubt it would be one I would take out to the stand with me when I set up on the edge of a field where my shots are likely to be a minimum of 100 yards as just as likely out around 300+ simply because its not (IMO) an accurate gun. Like I say though have not had a chance to shoot it enouph to see just what it will do.
    I think we are saying the same thing just from slightly different angles. Basicly different guns have different levels of accuracy, and if you are compareing it to the same type or even class of guns then they can be looked at based on what can be expected from that class of gun but if you are looking at them in general (compareing them to all other guns) then there is a whole different scale. Hell my bolt action rifle if compared only to other bolt guns would be less than impresive but as compared to other guns in general is highly accurate, when compared to a 5.4mm German training mauser it tends to be put to shame though. [beer]

18. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have nothing against the Yugo SKS outside of the fact that I consider them ugly and the one and only one I ever got was totally a POS (piece of shit).

I am sure for the most part (unless they were not maintained decently) they will do their part in shooting accurately (more accurately than most AK's at a distance of 100 yards).

I still prefer my chrome lined barrels in my Russian and Chinese SKS's and have no desire to own a Yugo SKS (and definitely not for a price of anything over $100).

Especially when I can still manage every now and again to pick up a nice looking Chinese SKS w/ammo for $100 cash.

19. martin97

We are not saying the same thing at all, so lets not confuse that, we do not agree and that fine, you are welcome to your ideas.
    Same for you Tlynn, maybe you shoot your sks's thousands of times repeatedly and really need the crome lined bore (sure) [rofllmao] I'm glad you prefer to buy the outher sks models, my customers need folks to sell their old stuff to!

20. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

martin, they sit in a gunsafe along with the AK-74.

Only rifles I take out usually say 30-06 on them, or 8mm or 7mm.

Unless of course I take out the 22-250. I prefer more long distance rifles.

I'm not one for spray and pray guns as a general rule. Those rifles come out only when my brother or someone else wants to go out and shoot.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7