The Yugo SKS inaccuracy myth ended

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by martin97, Jan 16, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

In a true SHTF scenario, where everything is in a state of chaos, which gun(s) would you take to protect your life, if you had to leave your house on foot?

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Since theres 3 people in our house there would be an AK, a pump shotgun, and since Im the best shot in the house I would have my bolt gun and would have the handguns as well. That way have all the bases covered as best we can. The AK for putting more ammo in the air, the pump shotgun for mid/close range quick shots with maximum stopping power, and the bolt gun for any needs for accuracey and the handguns as a stop gap or for close quick work.
    That said if it was a wide spread SHTF I wouldnt be likely to be leaving my home since theres no place I could go thats set up as well much less better than here.

3. martin97

martin97 Fuel busted Trucker. Founding Member

With little experience with the SKS or AK, I don't see how you can make credible comments on either, but we'll take them for what their worth...,
    I have vacation coming up and me and Quig are thinking about a trip to south dakota for some prairie dog hunting, (B&D Guide Service of Wood, South Dakota) if you have time you would be welcome to meet us there and show us your prowess with your "long distance rifles" I like to shoot those as well, and really enjoy long shots with WWII era rifles. I have killed red digger squirrels with a M-44 open sight mosin nagant at 300 yds. we have just become bored with scoped rifles, makes it to damn easy.

4. martin97

Sound like good planning, covers all the bases.

5. martin97

I would be interested in seeing alot of responses to this question, its a good one.

6. monkeyman

You arent paying much for that are you? I dont know how it is for sure in South Dakota but at least in North Dakota if you know anyone with some pasture you could probably be welcomed to pitch a tent and may even get room and board if you bring enouph ammo. I know I used to go visit my uncle in ND when I was young and the neighbor gave me 25 cents per tail off them as a bounty to kill all of them I wanted. One day my dad may uncle and I all went out with .22s and burner a couple thousand rounds just blowing up the little flickertails all afternoon.

7. E.L.

8. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've owned and shot SKS's for over 5 years and had an AK of one form or another for over 4 years (and shot them enough).

The SKS's are accurate, the AK-74 is very accurate (for closer range), I don't particularly care for the AK-47 but that's just my particular preference.

I'd advice you make sure of your facts before you just step out and tell somebody they don't know enough about a gun.

They are not something I personally care for - they are to me more toys (and I realize that they are deadly toys)...but toys none the less.

I will still prefer my longer distance rifles.

9. martin97

I'm just going by your words sweetheart... but it doesn't make a bit of difference to me. its just when I see someone make an off the wall statement as you did earlier " it was a total POS" you lose credibility in my opinion. we are here to discuss the pros and cons of the weapon sure, but your statement lacks any information, and with that, credibility.
    Please consider giving us a little more information when you post on these subjects, it will add to the quality of the discussion, and we will give your comments more thought.
    As for myself, I am 37 years old and started shooting seriously at ten, my first long gun was a Daisy 880 BB gun and as a young boy I laid waste to anything that came within 10 pumps. at 11 I graduated to a Stevens favorite single shot 22, good lord there was fear in the hills that day! me and my fellow young men put it to every bird, squirrel and living creature in a ten mile radius! I dont think a day went by for several years that we didn't shoot at least 100 shots a piece, good times! then came the autoloading 22's , Marlins first then Rugers, put thousands of rounds into all sorts of small game with those, I still have a heavy barrel 10-22 that makes you feel like your cheating, its sooo accurate. shoot the heads off pigeon's at 100 yds all day long.
    Then came the bigger stuff as the years went by, 22 Hornets, 223's, 22-250's, 6mm Remington, (I still have and love, a Mauser custom) 25'06, 257 Roberts, 280 rem, 264 win mag, 7x57 Mauser, 7mm'08, 7mm mag, several 270's, 30 carbine, 30-30 win, tons of 7.62x39 rifles, 308 rem PSS (an awesome rifle!) 30'06, (a dozen of these! I have a sweet M-54 win with peep sights, it was never, and will never be, drilled and tapped for a scope) Rem 721 300 H&H mag, the sweetest rifle Gods hands ever possessed man to make! I swear it shoots itself, I just hold it up! ask Quig about that. I never found a bullet or load that it doesn't shoot well, it really likes the Speer 130 gr HP's for the smaller stuff, 180 gr grand slams for anything else.
    lets see then.. a 338 win mag, a 375 H&H mag being built on a first year production M-70, all complete but the stock work, and a 458 win mag, also an incredible shooter.
    I got involved in T/C Contenders when I was 18 and have enjoyed that in nearly every configuration over the years, I think 357 mag being my favorite, extremely accurate by any definition. I lived in Arkansas for a while and lived and breathed 45 auto's for several years, I bought a 1991 A1 customized it myself and shot with the boys at Wilson combat, I lived just down the road from them and will tell you they are generous and helpful people. put thousands of rounds through that pistol, then I sold it to a good friend who still has it and loves it possibly more than I. I still have two 45's , a colt officers and a Springfield commander.
    I have been shooting and reloading nearly all my life, I learned reloading from my Dad, I was always right there in the way when he was reloading so he made it easier on himself and taught me how.
    Its UZI's and AK's now, thats what I love about guns, theres one for every occasion...

10. martin97

I dont really know, a friend goes nearly every year and he's arranging it all.. I really like the sound of free, but he says its getting tough to find that, everyone's onto the money game.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm impressed --

12. E.L.

That pretty much mirrors my childhood/youth, except I am 36, until March. [beer]

13. E.L.

This part too! I am still living and breathing them! Left Arkansas for La. in 94'. Now back home in Texas.

14. E.L.

And this one!

15. ghrit

Beggin yer pardon, suh, but ghrit did NOT write that one. ghrit merely said he was impressed by martin97's post -- :D (But at least the part about a gun for every occasion is true --) :unsure:

16. E.L.

Properly edited now, I must have accidentally quoted off of your post. [beat]

17. ghrit

Cool. And as I said part of it was accurate --- [troll]

18. monkeyman

Could be, last time I went up there has probably been 15 to 20 years. I just know at that time at least they were thought of slightly below rats as they liked to make holes in the cattle pastures and cost the farmers cattle with broken legs so most any of the folks were more than happy to let you use them as target practice as long as they figured you knew enouph to not shoot their cattle or anything stupid like that and some would even pay token bounties for however many you would extermenate for them. Guess they were also a problem for going in the planted fields and chowing down on some of the grain but you never would see them there unless it had been harvested.

19. martin97

Thank you for the nice words gentleman, Lord how the years fly by... I enjoyed going over the memories.
    EL, I was in Yellville, Ar in 94. we were on the same path on different sides of the country!. [beer]
    Monkeyman, I will check further into it on your advice that's for sure, be nice to all get together up there.. bring an SKS to, just for the hell of it!

20. E.L.

I lived in Danville for 6 months in 90', then moved to Dardanelle from 91' until April of 94'. Small country isn't it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7