Theorists of propaganda have identified five basic rules:

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by melbo, Jul 30, 2015.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

From this blog: Liberty's Torch: Quickies: A Brilliant Summation

####
    All of this of course is aided and abetted by propaganda. We often think of propaganda in this context as simply a semi-hysterical knee-jerk reaction of hasty bare-faced lies.

It’s not. It’s a finely crafted science and we would do well to remember it, else be seduced by it.

I found this rather crisp description in Norman Davies ‘Europe – A History’. Page 500, almost exactly halfway through this brick of a book.

“Theorists of propaganda have identified five basic rules:
    1. The rule of simplification: reducing all data to a single confrontation between ‘Good and Bad’, ‘Friend and Foe’.
    2. The rule of disfiguration: discrediting the opposition by crude smears and parodies.
    3. The rule of transfusion: manipulating the consensus values of the target audience for one’s own ends.
    4. The rule of unanimity: presenting one’s viewpoint as if it were the unanimous opinion of all right-thinking people: drawing the doubting individual into agreement by the appeal of star performers, by social pressure, and by ‘psychological contagion’.
    5. The rule of orchestration: endlessly repeating the same messages in different variations and combinations.”
    All this sounds familiar to you?
    It certainly does to me.

I’ve encountered no better summation of the tactical structure of Leftist propaganda. Their propaganda’s efficacy frees them from having to debate their positions on the merits...which, as they have none, is a good thing for them.

3 comments:
    [​IMG]Pascal Fervor said...
    That is indeed a nice list. But I think I can demonstrate how two steps are missing. At least they help propound the indoctrinational aim of propaganda by stealing the thunder out of any countermeasures.

Projection. The propagandist takes whatever traits of his regime that he knows the victims will squawk about and projects them onto the targets even before they know they are targets. The propagandist sociopath anticipates the natural reactions. By gaining the first strike with his deliberate slanders, he deadens all accurately labeled counter-charges. The game is thus chess-like in its application.

Theft of all good aesthetics, abstracts, intangibles, conceptualizations -- what's a good word for all of these? -- and perverting them for their own use. For example, look at their success with owning words like progressive, liberal, modern and justice and perverting them to their sophistic use. (Humpty-Dumpty's brazen declaration of his ownership could be inserted here.) While through use of rule 5 they do succeed over the long haul, it requires the deliberate thefts ahead of time to have something to repeat endlessly. Furthermore, to help the thieves seem like they are convinced of their ownership of the abstract terms, it is through their thorough schooling in the use of Newspeak and Doublethink without flinching that helps them deliver the repetitions successfully.

That's just two additional steps I'd add. I don't know if there might be more.

Sadly this may all be a fruitless exercise given I don't see a remedy in that you and I don't own a loud enough microphone or that know how John Galt pulled off his trick. But I do like that you brought this list to my attention because it did enjoy analyzing the ways of the schemers a bit further.
    July 28, 2015 at 6:27 PM

[​IMG]Col. B. Bunny said...
    I think an additional rule needs to be inserted between 2 and 3: The rule of jack rabbiting: leaping suddenly and arbitrarily away from the accepted meaning of words.

This leaves the audience in the position of the visitor in in that GEICO commercial. The hostess mistakes her actual living room wall for the virtual "wall" on Facebook and tapes pictures of her friends up on the wall or takes them off to "unfriend" them. The guest stands up and says, "That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works."

Obama's dishonest use of the word "justice" in your post just below illustrates this. He doesn't care what justice has been understood to be in the past. He wants to get to where he can banish the symbols of his enemies.

There also needs to be a new rule of media control: control all media. Fox, with all its faults, still manages to make heads explode on the left by presenting an arguably more accurate version of events. And we know what the web means to leftist zealots.
    July 29, 2015 at 1:24 PM

[​IMG]Bill St. Clair said...
    To widen the scope a bit, Garet Garret calls this "revolution within the form". It was brought to a high art by FDR, who converted America to a communist country by changing the meaning of the words in our legal documents. To this day, most people are unaware of the radical change he brought about. Mises Daily | Mises Institute
    July 30, 2015 at 1:51 PM

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is spot on- today's society 100%. I think this is all made easier by the continuing development of social media and the growing dependency on electronics.

Capt. Tyree, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I absolutely HATE the term "common sense legislation". It never is true, it never works in my favor, and it always assumes I am the odd man out/ the misfit.
    This ties in completely with rules 1-5.

Capt. Tyree and Ganado like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Isn't 'common sense' and legislation' in the same sentancing an oxymoron? o_O

The two main indicators that someone is trying to manipulate and/or lying

1. Misdirection: changing the focus of the conversion
    2. Name calling or labeling

Great post melbo !

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. melbo

I don't really believe in common sense as automatically being the best sense.
    There is good sense and bad sense. Common sense implies herd mentality and is usually often not good.

If I were a cow in a pasture, I'd regularly be the one hung up in the barbed wire and my fellow cows would always loudly proclaim that it's common sense to not try to go over the fence because every cow knows that barbed wire hurts.

Then comes slaughter day.

-edit for clarification

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Yard Dart, kellory, Dont and 2 others like this.
  6. melbo

Oh yeah, the quoted post mentions "leftist propaganda" which I find a limiting pool. All groups with an agenda to force or sell engage in propaganda.

7. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

[applaud][applaud]Yes! I applaud you sir. Another fine example of the talent residing here..

8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

Ganado likes this.
  9. melbo

I'm pretty sure that the 3rd comment in the OP is from the same Bill St Clair that's connected to Claire Wolfe

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Brokor likes this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yup. Also bear in mind that it was the Federal Reserve Board who drafted much of this legalese - (namely Eugene Meyer (financier), who was the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board. This is the same Eugene Meyer who later that year in June of 1933 bought the Washington Post at bankruptcy auction for $825,000.00. And William H. Woodin who was the Director of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, was the largest railroad car builder in the United States, and later became the Secretary of Treasury under Roosevelt. )

Yard Dart and melbo like this.
  11. melbo

Ganado and Brokor like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Ganado likes this.
  13. Brokor

I bought Mr. Griffin's book from a book store with cash a long time ago. :)
    It had an RFID tracker in it. Perhaps it was just for the store to prevent shoplifting. In any case, the RFID tag went into the trash on my way out.

14. Yard Dart

The wife met a guy on the flight back from MN a couple of weeks ago... he recommended the book to her. He was concerned about October and China trying to get into the world currency.. he was some sort of economist that had retired to about 300 acres in the south... said we were real close to the dollar going bye bye

Ganado likes this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

It's true yard dart. Creature from jekyll island was a good book as well as 'confessions of an economuc hitman' both good reads for eye opening in financial systems and how they are rigged for war among other things.

We have all been living in the 'idea of the ideal America' for so long that most don't recognize that it has been an illusion for years.

The only thing stemming the tide is that pesky constitution and the need of TPTB to attempt to appear like they are conforming to the 'law of the land'

melbo, Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Brokor

As long as we, the people still have teeth (guns) and a means to communicate (internet) they are stuck in place.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  17. melbo

Haven't read Confessions but am familiar with the tactics (Cyprus, Greece™)

Will order a copy

Ganado likes this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

19. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think you are correct. I also think this is the why conservatives are so quiet. Waiting till the time is right rather than becoming a target

kellory likes this.
  1. DarkLight
  2. Seacowboys
  3. Brokor
  4. Huntinbull
  5. Attala
  6. overbore
  7. Minuteman
  8. melbo
  9. Quigley_Sharps
  10. melbo
  11. melbo