There are few things more elegant for making tea than a Samovar

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by chelloveck, Apr 20, 2022.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Recently I was thrift shopping and purchased an antique Samovar. Samovar - Wikipedia It is in need of a little repair, as the water leaks from the spigot seal when filled above the level of the tap outlet. The tap works fine, even though the tap outlet flow is slow...may need to do a little brushing with a metal straw cleaning brush.

The samovar is very similar to this example in design and decoration, though it has a removable chimney flue extension used while heating, but removed whilst a tea pot sits on the pot stand at the top.

[​IMG]
    this is an image of a Samovar with a chimney extension

[​IMG]

The Samovar is heated by wood or charcoal in a method similar to asian 'steam boat' cookers.

upload_2022-4-21_8-29-6.

It will make for an interesting conversation starter when making tea for guests...instead of just flipping the switch on an electric jug.

A good size samovar could heat sufficient water for filling a wash basin.

In the event of a grid down situation, you can boil enough water in a Samovar for a tea party or a coffee klatsch, and keep the tea / coffee pot warm for late arrivals.

I dare say, that a cast iron stew pot could be slow cooking away on the top of the samovar at a pinch...just keep the water reservoir topped up.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    oldawg, snake6264, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  2. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Not to many "things" I want Russian style

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

This is very suspect behavior to even talk about this cultural artifact.
    These days, this might get you accused of siding with the Russians. Maybe Vladimir is getting to you thru somehow like he did to Americans in the ‘16 election.
    Did you have Russian dressing on your salad today?

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I don't hate Russians, although I have cultural reasons for doing so, if I allow bigotry to over rule reason. My paternal grandfather survived many years in Soviet era gulag camps as a political prisoner until finally succumbing to his ill treatment. That is no fault of a fancy tea urn.

I can appreciate the better aspects of Russian culture whilst spurning what is toxic and harmful to human flourishing...the samovar, by different names and embellishments but similar in design and function can be found in western Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Asia.

Putin, his generals and criminal crony capitalist acolytes can rot in hell (If such a literal place exists) as far as I am concerned, but ordinary folk will be evaluated on their own individual merits...I am in awe of Russians who have courageously opposed the Kremlin party line...they are to be admired more so than some Putin apologists on the conservative end of the political spectrum in the West..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I'd say you got yourself a real gem there! A great find! If nothing else, it makes for a very nice conversation piece.

6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Every time I see one, the first thing that enters my mind is "What a beautiful Kelly Kettle!". Really though, many people given the problem of little good fuel and a need to heat something have come up with some good solutions, and then some have become objects de art. Samovar, Russian or what ever masonary stoves, steam cookers, the wok, etc. My favorite ones are the wood or coal forges and the primitive furnaces made for firing pottery or producing pig iron in some form.

Good find, thank you for sharing. Then there is always the urban legend of some poor Jewish exile from Russia bringing the one family treasure, the Samovar, and 200 years later finding out that it was a fake, not being able to afford the real silver thing, they had silver plated a cheaper metal, and it actually was made out of platinum.

7. snake6264

The word Hate may be strong but I'm ok with the Hate so the Russians can S*ck it

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That's a very nice score, very useful to have around! My in-laws gave us a monster one for a wedding gift, knowing my affinity for Mediterranean style Cofveve as well as the Wife's Tea fetishes, ours gets used daily. Ours can use sterno heaters, as well as traditional heating sources, and has a full Cofveve/Tea service set and tray, perfect for family gatherings!

Any idea where and when it was made, what region? Lots of really cool history there if you can find out the above!

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've never heard of them, but they are beautiful. Congrats on the great score and please post a pic of yours when you get it ready.

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

They do make some damn fine weapons!

Tully Mars likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and many not so fine, that are poor copies of other countries weapons…

chelloveck likes this.
  12. snake6264

Not technical weapons nor electronic weapons they are very hit and miss

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7