thick, tapered steel lid for my 2 quart canteen cup

Discussion in 'Blades' started by firekey, Apr 16, 2014.

1. firekey

firekey Monkey

(not hinged, just sits atop the cup). Carbon steel, tapered, cutting edge honed on the convex side. CAn be an ukluk or haft it to be a hatchet, but serves another purpose as the lid, and will of course, strike sparks from any piece of flint, chert, etc. Actually, the rock strikes sparks from the steel, of course.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

[worthless]

ghrit likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Curious. Very strange. Ukluk is defined by some as "hatred of mukluks" and is also found as an Inuit name for babies. How is that related to a farking pot lid?

ditch witch, Sapper John and kellory like this.
  4. BTPost

@ghrit He is referring to the Inuit Traditional Knife used by those folks to cut up Whales, and Walrus, to make Muktuk, a traditional food stuff for that bunch. He just didn't get the name right.... I have a few of those, that were given to me, as Gifts, by Clan Chiefs, back in the Day, when I was traveling to Inuit Villages, in the Northwestern Alaska Region. They are very handy for what they were designed for, but NOT really useful for other purposes. There was an incident on a Wein Airways Jet from Bethel, AK to Anchorage, back then, where a drunk Inuit Fellow Hijacked the Plane, and insisted that the Plane fly to "Anchorage", using one of these Knifes as a weapon.... After that they were no longer allowed in Hand Carried Luggage, on IntraState flights..... .......

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

isn't that an ulu knife??

6. BTPost

Yup, That is EXACTLY what it is and was...

cdnboy66 likes this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I like mine for cutting up meat for stew, the shape and leverage work great and are easier on the arms, you can get your back into the work by being above the work and not having it at a disadvantage distance.

It is easy to use on frozen meat too. A cross between a butcher knife and a cleaver.

It sits in a holder on the sink counter.

cdnboy66 likes this.
  8. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

That's a fair sized canteen cup.........

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7