Things you quit buying due to inflation.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by larryinalabama, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Lucky Johnson

Lucky Johnson Monkey

I try to look out for specials and buy as much as I can from locally owned businesses. We have a local meat market / butchery and a local produce market. Most of the food comes from local farmers and is usually cheaper and better quality than that found in the grocery stores. I try to buy in bulk and can / dehydrate foods to store. The only think I shop for at the other stores would be dried goods like rice, pasta, etc. and sundries or hygiene stuff. I'm always looking for things on sale. Something I haven't done yet, and may be worthwhile, is go to the local farmers' market that is held every week here.

2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I am amazed at how many people are embarrassed to use coupons, as if getting the most bang for your buck is a bad thing. Some change their mind when they hear Mr. C.... you saved $95 and spent $100.

Been frugal most of my life, I just don't get to do as many fun activities as I'd like to. Most of which involve burning mass amounts of fuel wheelin' and smelling gun powder.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

CC - you sure you're not a New Englander

Seacowboys likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What is a coupon ?
    Some sort of fish ?

KAS likes this.
  5. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Only embarrassment in my case is when I get a Newbie Cashier. Embarrassed that it took them so long to scan/key in all the coupons =X

Its rare for me to buy any thing thats not on sale or don't have a coupon for, or both!!! Love it when its both on Sale & I have a Coupon they'll double. Been PAIDED sum times to take things like toothpaste :D

No, not an "Extreme Couponer", cuz don't buy things I don't actually use, nor go all over creation to get more coupons!!

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

First....grow a tomato.

Step 2: ahahahaaaa

Nah, nothing all that special, spaghetti sauce is mainly tomato sauce and some crushed tomatoes, with oregano, little garlic, salt, pepper, brown hamburger, mix it all together, and pressure can for 90min in quarts.

Chili, drop the oregano, add some chili powder and red cayenne pepper, plus red kidney beans

7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Convenience store coffee and any coffee shop coffee.

I have my own coffee maker and you can get all types of coffees at most China marts anyway for a tenth of the cost per cup.

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Razors! Those things cost an arm and leg.

I found one of those old flip-top safety razors and bought 100 blades, mug w/soap, and bristle brush for the cost of 6 Gillette Fusion blades. We'll see how much I have to dip into my lifetime supply of band-aids.

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My scizzors will last the rest of my life trimming my beard - I keep it short. I can't believe the money I was spending on disposable shavers! And I much preferred the single-edge type (they lasted a LOT longer with cleaning) but they became nearly extinct when the companies began adding a third and fourth blade!

10. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Ordered me one from Amazon. I used to use Gillette Mach 3 with the disposable heads, until price went sky high. Then I used the Gillette disposables, price going sky high. I don't shave but once a week, but damn if I gonna pay THAT Much!!!

11. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Anyelse noticed how WalMart seems to becoming "Highend" They used to have the best priceshowever on most items Ive been finding cheaper elsware

12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

...probably a result of all the lawsuits they have to fight and community efforts to shut down new construction.

13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Cigarettes - Haven't bought any since November 1982 when the price jumped from fifty to fifty five cents a pack.

Surplus ammo - Some deals still, but they're few and far between. I'll buy more when 7.62x39 drops back to $45 for 500 rds and 7.62x51 is $149/1000. Those are 2004 prices.

Name brand cat food and litter - Cats don't care, are all still beautiful and healthy, and I save big getting Alley Cat cat food and horse bedding at 25% the price of name brand.

Canned soda - Prices are easily triple what they were when I swore of the stuff. Water/tea/beer are cheaper now.

I watch for sales everywhere, and when I find a deal I generally clean out their entire stock. Lots of these deals recently are stuff that we may never see locally again, since it didn't sell well.

HD

tonid and jungatheart like this.
  14. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Hrm... I tend to buy what I want regardless of price but there are a few things I've thrown up my hands and said As If to.

Dove anti-persperant. Over $5 for a stick. Are you kidding me? I switched to another that was half that price. As a side note I seem unable to spell either deoderant or perspirant...

Tazo chai tea bags. I switched to Stash, which is about a buck a box cheaper and tastes the same.

Spices and seasonings. I grow a lot of my own, but some stuff I can't. I do not buy McCormicks or the other ones at the grocery store and I don't get that Dollar Store ones either because they taste like sawdust. However, World Store has tons of different spices and seasonings and their prices and selection spank Wally and the grocery stores big time.

15. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Alot of things at Wal-Mart has went up in price I was talking with the wife about it last night. I think the reason for the most part is they have forced just about all small mom and pop stores out of business. Now they can start to raise prices with no compition.

16. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I think increased fuel prices is more likely. In most places, Wal-Mart didn't have any competition to begin with.

While a Wal-Mart might put a mom & pop hardware store out of business, they employ a lot more people than they dis-employee and raise the standard of living for the whole area.

From store to store, I don't think Wal-Mart prices vary too widely and keep margins razor thin, however, the mom & pop type places are the ones that depend on every last nickel and will charge as much as possible.

Just my .02. I don't shop there.

Moatengator, BTPost and Alpha Dog like this.
  17. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

;)Politicians

carly28043 likes this.
  18. Jewels

Jewels Monkey+

Haven't really bought less but I do really research the store circulars for all the sale items now. I don't buy anything unless it is on sale. I travel (by car) quite a bit for work so I can't cut back on driving. However, when driving in my personal vehicle I think twice before making too many trips into town.

19. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Glad you stopped by Jewels - bout time

20. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

A couple of months ago, I saw a good deal on a Geo Tracker.

Now, for local running around without lots of stuff to haul, the 10-15 MPG Trooper sits in the garage and I use the 35-40 MPG Tracker (or I will once the doc OKs me to drive again :( )...

We have also decided to cut back the summer trips over to the coast from 2 5-day trips a month to 1 10-day trip a month this year. It's a 200 mile round trip, so that saves over $100 a mo in gas.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7